The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Is Birmingham City University good?

Does anyone know if Birmingham City University is a good University? It’s my second choice as I never got into University of Birmingham. I’m studying sociology and criminology. Anyone know about that department is it good ? I’m in the city centre campus.

Scroll to see replies

Oxford is better
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
You don’t say
only joking, I think the thing is with Birm-City is that it may be seen as a shite version of Birmingham, same with Leeds Beckett or Liverpool Hope, although in a way all unis are good but the lower ones are just prejudiced against by the elite, it depends on subject. Are you not prepared to move away as that may help you as Birmingham is a top uni, also the gap between the two is pretty big so if you move away places such as Cardiff,Liverpool, Lancaster and Surrey are probs a much better shout. Also what are your grades and what subject do you want to do?
I did level 3 BTEC ( don’t judge) I got 3 distinction stars and I’m doing sociology and criminology. Apparently bcu is good for criminology though? Seems a bit too late to move now. Bcu seems decent I guess.
Reply 5
Original post by Amanda_7826
I did level 3 BTEC ( don’t judge) I got 3 distinction stars and I’m doing sociology and criminology. Apparently bcu is good for criminology though? Seems a bit too late to move now. Bcu seems decent I guess.

With D*D*D* you can go to a lot better than BCU!

Durham for example - https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?id=11821&code=L370#admissions=

Durham ranked 6th vs BCU ranked 97th.
(edited 5 years ago)

Its not to late, if you find the right place, (go on a clearing website or something) as im sure somewhere may have a place however if not then bcu it is but don't go there without looking for alternatives
Okay thanks soo much guys
or you could just take a gap year, boost your personal statement and reapply next year to Birmingham or somewhere (a top uni) have a job because remember this is 3 years of your life and thousands of pounds so it may be better if you can't find anywhere better to just apply next year and be more contempt with your choice, you may even want to move away in that time, worst case scenario is your at Birmingham city and you don't like it, also it may be easier to get jobs with a better uni
Reply 9
Okay thanks soo much guys

Good luck with your decision
(edited 5 years ago)
look on the completeuniversityguide.com in the clearing section as they are offering criminology at some good places such as Nottingham, Surrey, York, royal Holloway which quite frankly are all better than bcu
how did you get on? did you go to Birmingham city?
Original post by Wonderwall94
how did you get on? did you go to Birmingham city?

I changed my course to law and criminology and stuck with bcu :smile:
great to hear
Original post by Wonderwall94
great to hear

I just need to get my photo done now. Do you know if they’re any requirements for the uni ID photo?
Hi I'm starting at BCU this September too and I've recently sent in my photo ID. The only requirement is that it has to be against a white/light background. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Abiiee00
Hi I'm starting at BCU this September too and I've recently sent in my photo ID. The only requirement is that it has to be against a white/light background. Hope this helps :smile:

Okay thank you! :smile: is ur induction also on the 17th? Would you need ur ID for that? Mines taking a bit long since I changed course, my documents are waiting for verification or something.
BCU is terrible

Maybe they improved in the last 3 years, but having lived in Bham.... it was the one uni within the city that if you had better grades, you'd do well to avoid

/shrug
Original post by Le Vagabond
BCU is terrible

Maybe they improved in the last 3 years, but having lived in Bham.... it was the one uni within the city that if you had better grades, you'd do well to avoid

/shrug

I did some research on the criminology department and bcu are quite good for that course.
Okay thank you! :smile: is ur induction also on the 17th? Would you need ur ID for that? Mines taking a bit long since I changed course, my documents are waiting for verification or something.

Sorry my induction is on the 15th as I'm doing nursing and need to do an ID verification so I have no idea I'm so sorry! I would take it anyway to be sure.
Do you know anyone going to BCU? I'm so worried to start because I'm not in halls and can't meet people before hand and I wanna go to the freshers parties to meet people but too nervous to go by myself haha

Quick Reply

Latest