The Student Room Group

is it worth taking a-level biology if i dont want to be a doctor or anything related

long story short have no idea what i want to do in the future but i dont want to do medicine, veterinary or dentistry so would it be wiser for me to keep physics (which i am currently doing) so my options are more open? thanks
Reply 1
Which do you prefer to study?
Reply 2
Original post by mullac
Which do you prefer to study?

i guess i dont really mind but have a slight preference over biology
Reply 3
Original post by Harry171
i guess i dont really mind but have a slight preference over biology

and what are your other options?
Biology, like most sciences, is a subject that no matter what you apply for, will always look good with a good pass on your uni application. I thought I was going to do law, but ended up going down the biology path instead.

If you enjoy the subject or find it atleast interesting, do it. Even if you don't make a career out of it, a lot of the information learnt about the body and plants or whatever, can be useful throughout your life. Especially things to do with the human body, hygiene & nutrition. These things matter to everyone and developing an interest or knowledge in these will be useful no matter what you end up doing.

I might be a bit biased because I love Biology, but I definitely think you should do it. There's much more you can do with biology than dentistry, veterinary sciences and medicine. Keep physics if you see that being the route you want to take ofcourse. If you don't see yourself doing biology or physics after school, then just pick whichever you enjoy most or are better at. Both are respectable subjects to have a good pass in on a uni application. I initially picked biology because I was better at remembering things, whereas I wasn't so good at the problem solving and maths aspect of physics and always struggled with that, biology on the other hand I always passed easy with no revision. So for me it was an easy choice and now years down the line I am about to make a career out of that decision.
Original post by Harry171
long story short have no idea what i want to do in the future but i dont want to do medicine, veterinary or dentistry so would it be wiser for me to keep physics (which i am currently doing) so my options are more open? thanks

There are many jobs in sciences referring to biology, if you want to work in one of those fields, as ecologist, biologist, geneticist, bacteriologist, virologist, zoologist, etc. and needs an appropriate study to this, it was the right decision to take biology at A-levels.
Reply 6
NO

Quick Reply

Latest