The Student Room Group

When shall i start revising for A LEVELS

When is the best time to start revising for A levels, I am hoping to achieve ABB.
Thank you :smile:
As soon as possible.
Don't leave it until the last minute and end up cramming and hoping for the best like the majority of the population, who by the way will probably end up with a lot less than ABB.
Original post by Grade A
As soon as possible.
Don't leave it until the last minute and end up cramming and hoping for the best like the majority of the population, who by the way will probably end up with a lot less than ABB.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have actually started since school began and i have began in little paces, i have began with homework first as i believe i should get into the habit of doing work daily. I took an AS for my first year of A levels and achieved an A, but the fear is i may end up with a C this year as i have triple the content to revise.
Original post by MissCarter786
When is the best time to start revising for A levels, I am hoping to achieve ABB.
Thank you :smile:

I’m doing my a levels this year aiming for A*/As and I’m just doing small amount of work everyday and will be increasing it with time as it gets closer to exams. I wouldn’t wait until a set time to revise eg March because then you’ll just be too stressed out. Whereas if you do some work consistently then it won’t build up and you won’t have as much work to do later on.
Reply 4
If you do consistently well throughout both years you'll have less need to revise when it comes to the real thing.
ngl, I started revision for my first exam a week and a half before I did it. Winged my English A-Level and pulled all-nighters for 2/3 of my history exams. I got 3B's.

Although I'm more than happy with my results considering the amount of work I put in, i know that if I had started earlier, I think would've gotten the A that I wanted in English. But hey ho. Got into my top Uni, so I'm fine with it.

On the other hand, my friend literally revised every day since the beginning of year 13 and she got A*AA. Of course, the earlier you revise, the better. Unless you have short term memory like me, in which case, I don't really see the point in revising beyond a few months :s-smilie:
I’m gonna make a revision plan that I can follow from now to mocks in January and can (tweaked slightly) use the same one to revise for a levels hopefully too (aiming for A*A*A* 😂) anyway good luck and hope that gives u an idea maybe?
Should have started from the moment you were born...... (jk but as soon as you can will give you the best chance)
Original post by Anygy
ngl, I started revision for my first exam a week and a half before I did it. Winged my English A-Level and pulled all-nighters for 2/3 of my history exams. I got 3B's.

Although I'm more than happy with my results considering the amount of work I put in, i know that if I had started earlier, I think would've gotten the A that I wanted in English. But hey ho. Got into my top Uni, so I'm fine with it.

On the other hand, my friend literally revised every day since the beginning of year 13 and she got A*AA. Of course, the earlier you revise, the better. Unless you have short term memory like me, in which case, I don't really see the point in revising beyond a few months :s-smilie:

WOW! That's amazing! Yes, i am definately going to pace my revision. BTW, im also doing A Level English Lit and im struggling on it. Do you have any advice? What course are you studying at uni?
Original post by Stressedoutxxx
I’m doing my a levels this year aiming for A*/As and I’m just doing small amount of work everyday and will be increasing it with time as it gets closer to exams. I wouldn’t wait until a set time to revise eg March because then you’ll just be too stressed out. Whereas if you do some work consistently then it won’t build up and you won’t have as much work to do later on.

are u in year 13? when u mean a little , how many hours a day ?
Hi I did my A levels this year but didnt get the grades I wanted so I am repeating. Don't do my mistakes : Leaving past paper questions too late. By january you should have completed most of the A level courses and I think thats the best time to start doing past paper questions. Try to do at least one past paper from each subject every week (make a checklist) Go to your exam board's website to find exam papers to do. If by jan you didnt finish, just do the questions and parts you do know and leave the rest and come back to it once youve learned it. From now until December, I advise doing more condensed notes of the notes you have from AS and A levels. Make sure you know your stuff! As well as your applications for university etc.
Original post by Presence
are u in year 13? when u mean a little , how many hours a day ?

Yeah, I am. Im doing biology, chemistry and RS. And it depends on a particular day to be honest. Recently I’ve actually been doing quite a lot as I’ve had a few tests and exams in lessons so I’ve been revising for those, but in terms of revision in general I’d say on average 1-2 hours a day? I’m concentrating on getting my notes/ flashcards done too. It’s only September so I don’t think excessive amounts are necessary.
WOW! That's amazing! Yes, i am definately going to pace my revision. BTW, im also doing A Level English Lit and im struggling on it. Do you have any advice? What course are you studying at uni?

Probably not the best person to give advice :colondollar: I just systematically disregarded everything my teacher told me to do lol...

Can i ask which exam board you're doing? I did edexcel. One thing that I did that got me A's and A*'s in my mocks was to write about the bigger picture. In GCSE, you're taught to "zoom into" specific words (e.g "war is raw backwards, this has connotations of brutality and barbarism".. yadayada, yes... that is actual stuff I wrote back in the day lmao). In A-Level, you write about the bigger picture. I can send u one of my A/A* essays if you'd like? You'll see that I hardly ever "zoom into" words. When I do "zoom into" words and phrases, I just lead it onto a truck full of explanation.

And I'm doing biology at Uni!
Hi, thank you for your reply. I have actually started since school began and i have began in little paces, i have began with homework first as i believe i should get into the habit of doing work daily. I took an AS for my first year of A levels and achieved an A, but the fear is i may end up with a C this year as i have triple the content to revise.

Ensure you make revision notes for yourself as you go along. It'll be very convenient for yourself in future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending