The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

What text books should I buy for biomedical science at DMU?

So I'm starting biomedical science this September 2018. I know that text books are going to be very expensive to buy so I wanted to ask any second year students(or third) doing biomedical science at Demonfort univerity what textbook should I definitely get and how would I get them for the cheapest price. I've read that you don't need to get all the textbooks the university suggests so that's why I wanna know which ones would be the most useful and important.
I'm glad to know that someone else is on the same course as me:h:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Friend98765
I'm glad to know that someone else is on the same course as me:h:

I don't know anyone at all that's doing biomedical science at DMU which is so scary 😭
Original post by Sweetsour12
So I'm starting biomedical science this September 2018. I know that text books are going to be very expensive to buy so I wanted to ask any second year students(or third) doing biomedical science at Demonfort univerity what textbook should I definitely get and how would I get them for the cheapest price. I've read that you don't need to get all the textbooks the university suggests so that's why I wanna know which ones would be the most useful and important.

Don't buy any now - you can often borrow them from the uni library. Wait and see and look out for secondhand ones.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Don't buy any now - you can often borrow them from the uni library. Wait and see and look out for secondhand ones.

Really
Yea I guess it best to wait and start the course and then see if I need any textbooks.
I don't know anyone at all that's doing biomedical science at DMU which is so scary 😭

Neither do I but now I know you do it :tongue:. Anyway I’m looking forward to studying biomed. I hope we enjoy the subject. See u there.
Reply 6
Definitely get the Chemistry for Biosciences for chem module, I just finished my first year and barely touched the book; only to read it over summer and discover 100% of the assessments subjects including the chem group presentation is included in the book, so make sure you get hold of it. I also found Brock Biology of Microorganisms and Instant Notes on Biochemistry very useful, make sure you get them. Pretty sure they are all available from the library.
Reply 7
Original post by Eclds
Definitely get the Chemistry for Biosciences for chem module, I just finished my first year and barely touched the book; only to read it over summer and discover 100% of the assessments subjects including the chem group presentation is included in the book, so make sure you get hold of it. I also found Brock Biology of Microorganisms and Instant Notes on Biochemistry very useful, make sure you get them. Pretty sure they are all available from the library.

Thank u I'll definitely get them from the library and buy them if i need to. Can i just ask what the authors are because afew different books came up with those titles
Reply 8
Thank u I'll definitely get them from the library and buy them if i need to. Can i just ask what the authors are because afew different books came up with those titles

Hi there, here are the titles in full:

Chemistry for the Biosciences the essential concepts Third edition- Jonathan Crowe & Tony Bradshaw

Brock Biology of Microorganisms Fifteenth Edition- Madigan, Bender, Sattley and Stahl

BIOS Instant Notes Biochemistry Fourth Edition- David Hames and Nigel Hooper

These two I don't think I have mentioned yet as I didn't remember the names:

Microbiology with Diseases by Taxonomy Fourth Edition- R.W Bauman

Human Anatomy and Physiology Global Edition 10th edition - Elaine Marieb

All these titles are the latest editions available to my knowledge, when you get access to the library do a search there to see what is available. I hope this helps; good luck with your course 🙂
Reply 9
Original post by Eclds
Hi there, here are the titles in full:

Chemistry for the Biosciences the essential concepts Third edition- Jonathan Crowe & Tony Bradshaw

Brock Biology of Microorganisms Fifteenth Edition- Madigan, Bender, Sattley and Stahl

BIOS Instant Notes Biochemistry Fourth Edition- David Hames and Nigel Hooper

These two I don't think I have mentioned yet as I didn't remember the names:

Microbiology with Diseases by Taxonomy Fourth Edition- R.W Bauman

Human Anatomy and Physiology Global Edition 10th edition - Elaine Marieb

All these titles are the latest editions available to my knowledge, when you get access to the library do a search there to see what is available. I hope this helps; good luck with your course 🙂

Thank you so much!!!
Hi,
I’m in my third year on this course at DMU but on a placement this year! I would definitely recommend I stand notes for biochemistry and chemistry for the biosciences. But look on amazon for older editions. I think I paid something like 10p plus postage for instant notes and it was the most useful book ever! The only difference is the chapters are number differently to how the lecturer mentions them. I got all the books I bought like this and must have saved loads!
Definitely check the library but a lot of books will go as soon as you are told the titles you need so just check back half way through the term and most people will have returned them by then!
Hey there!I hope you are doing well :smile: im currently going into my second year and was wondering if you have any advice. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending