The Student Room Group

Am I wrong to think this rule is unfair?

We got told today in school that we are not allowed to go home early if we have a free period at the end of the day. To me, this is unfair and it feels as if it is all responsibility and no privileges. What should I do during those frees?

Am I wrong to really dislike this rule? We're in the last year of school, so they should act like we are.

Scroll to see replies

No I don't think this is unfair in any sense, you signed up for school you go by the rules. Who know what you will do in that free hour at home.. Procrastinate. This free period ensures that you get some homework or coursework done. Just make use of it don't complain it's not that big of a deal :smile:
They're not free periods but study periods. You're supposed to prioritise the work you're doing in your subjects and get tasks done (solve problem papers, make revision sheets, read textbooks etc).

Also since you're in the last year you should focus even more and work harder, since you're preparing for your ALevel exams.

I wish I had more study periods to do more independent work tbh.
Original post by Joe2001
We got told today in school that we are not allowed to go home early if we have a free period at the end of the day. To me, this is unfair and it feels as if it is all responsibility and no privileges. What should I do during those frees?

Am I wrong to really dislike this rule? We're in the last year of school, so they should act like we are.

Unfortunately as a teenager you are required to take on the responsibilities of being a young adult student.

They are not free to do what you like but should be utilised to do further study.

The school is also responsible for you for being on school premises during school hours. they will get sued if something happens to you when leaving early.

If you really want to go home early then instead of complaining get smart and work out ways to escape without being noticed.
I'm in Scotland - don't do A Levels. Already done the Highers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe2001

You go to school to learn. Privileges aren't relevant. You will learn when you grow up that in the world of work there will be rules. So suck it up. There are a lot more where that came from. Use your free periods constructively.
Original post by Joe2001

That's the same thing you're still studying, are you lazy or something?
Original post by London090
That's the same thing you're still studying, are you lazy or something?

No - I achieved good grades thank you very much. This is meant to be a different year after National 5 and Higher. The post you quoted said that I did my Highers last year. They are our equivalent of A-Levels so I have already got them out of the way.
Original post by Joe2001

It's not a free period, it's a study period. Use that time to do work.
Original post by DrawTheLine
It's not a free period, it's a study period. Use that time to do work.

Quite often I don't have any. Only do 3 subjects.
Original post by Joe2001
No - I achieved good grades thank you very much. This is meant to be a different year after National 5 and Higher. The post you quoted said that I did my Highers last year. They are our equivalent of A-Levels so I have already got them out of the way.

Oh good to know but still you're obviously not mature enough to have a free period at home, so just make full use of the time you have at school and do work. If they thought you were capable and mature of being able to push yourself to study at home then they would have done so but you're not in uni yet so suck up the tears make use of the time and just make the best out of it nobody else appears to be complaining.
Original post by Joe2001
Quite often I don't have any. Only do 3 subjects.

You should be doing independent studying. Meaning you do work that hasn't been set by teachers.
I have the same opinion , although I would rather revise at home than at school..
Your future self on results day will be glad you were essentially forced to get on with coursework/revision rather than being allowed to most likely procrastinate at home.

Once you're at Uni, THEN you can manage your time however you like. Until that point, suck it up :h:
Not really. We had the same rule at our school
thanks for that useless comment gibbon
Original post by Joe2001

i dunno what im doing here
Maybe you should do you UCAS form during that time or read round your subjects or whatever who knows that hour your studying could mean you could exceed your offers which could mean you go through adjustment and get to a better university (for you) or it could mean you meet your offers and can get to that dream uni you like and avoid clearing.

I was allowed to leave at collage.
(edited 5 years ago)
Oof.

I know your pain. My school had the same rule. If your school doesn't have any sort of tap in or out system, what we used to do was leave during lunch and just not come back. We were supposed to sign out, but often we would just walk straight out past that, or sign both in and out as we left.

However, if your school is more anal about it than ours is, then you mightn't have much luck. You can also come in late if you don't have a lesson first, although if you have form this might be more difficult.

All in all our school didn't have the resources to chase us up, so we would just basically do what we liked. The rules were there to catch those who were falling behind anyway, not the good students. When I got my Oxford offer, I was basically untouchable. It was great.
Reply 19
All rules are unfair to those who would want to break them.

If you really don't want to be there, break that rule. But take responsibility for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending