The Student Room Group

Regret choosing Imperial over Warwick MPH

I got accepted to both Warwick and Imperial for the Masters in Public Health and initially I accepted Warwick but I changed my mind a few days ago and withdraw and accepted Imperial simply because it has a higher ranking.

I now regret this and am wondering if I should still go to imperial or apply to Warwick again and go next year? I’m so confused about what to do. I’m really worried about going to Imperial because the course is really intensive, I’ll have to go in everyday and do exams and a dissertation. At Warwick it’s just assignments, no exams or dissertation and I’d only have to go to uni one week a month. I feel like I’ve made a really stupid decision.

Also, I want to go to a uni where there’s a good social life and I’m going to be so busy studying at Imperial I won’t have any time to go out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HelloGoodbye
I got accepted to both Warwick and Imperial for the Masters in Public Health and initially I accepted Warwick but I changed my mind a few days ago and withdraw and accepted Imperial simply because it has a higher ranking.

I now regret this and am wondering if I should still go to imperial or apply to Warwick again and go next year? I’m so confused about what to do. I’m really worried about going to Imperial because the course is really intensive, I’ll have to go in everyday and do exams and a dissertation. At Warwick it’s just assignments, no exams or dissertation and I’d only have to go to uni one week a month. I feel like I’ve made a really stupid decision.

Also, I want to go to a uni where there’s a good social life and I’m going to be so busy studying at Imperial I won’t have any time to go out.

Which course is more interesting to you? Warwick definitely needs a dissertation (very few masters if any don't) and essay doesn't = not an exam. You can do essays under exam conditions too.
Original post by alleycat393
Which course is more interesting to you? Warwick definitely needs a dissertation (very few masters if any don't) and essay doesn't = not an exam. You can do essays under exam conditions too.

Tbh the courses are really similar and they both have a global health pathway which I’m interested in. The MPH at Warwick doesn’t require a diss, instead students do a professional project which is only 4000 words. I’m really beating myself up over this, I don’t know if I’ll be able to cope with the stress at Imperial. Warwick seems way more chilled.
Tbh the courses are really similar and they both have a global health pathway which I’m interested in. The MPH at Warwick doesn’t require a diss, instead students do a professional project which is only 4000 words. I’m really beating myself up over this, I don’t know if I’ll be able to cope with the stress at Imperial. Warwick seems way more chilled.

It doesn't matter what you call it, dissertation or personal project or how long it is. It's still a long piece of individual work. But if you feel like Warwick is better suited to you in terms of course then see if they will reinstate your offer and if not you may have to wait a year.
Original post by alleycat393
It doesn't matter what you call it, dissertation or personal project or how long it is. It's still a long piece of individual work. But if you feel like Warwick is better suited to you in terms of course then see if they will reinstate your offer and if not you may have to wait a year.

Yeah that's true, I just wish Imperial wasn't so intense. I accepted it cos it's in the top 10 internationally whereas Warwick is much lower down. My offer for accommodation at Warwick is already gone so I'd have to apply next year. This is so frustrating, I'm really bad at making decisions.
Reply 5
I am currently in the process for applying for next year. Both Imperial and Warwick are on my list. Why has your Imperial experience not been good so far?
Thanks and good luck
(Original post by iq101)I am currently in the process for applying for next year. Both Imperial and Warwick are on my list. Why has your Imperial experience not been good so far?
Thanks and good luck

hey I haven’t started the course yet but I don’t think I’ll be able to handle the course at imperial or make any friends cos they’re all so serious!
Yeah that's true, I just wish Imperial wasn't so intense. I accepted it cos it's in the top 10 internationally whereas Warwick is much lower down. My offer for accommodation at Warwick is already gone so I'd have to apply next year. This is so frustrating, I'm really bad at making decisions.

My daughter has done 2 masters at Imperial - she seems to have a great social life and has just come back from USA presenting. She is quite normal and it is one of the best universities in the world and it is ONLY a year. It will be intense
If you are interested in a career in global health, I’d stick with Imperial. Both are good universities, but Imperial has the better brand name globally - and you will be competing with global graduates for jobs.

As background, I went to LSHTM and worked in two African countries and then left international health but am now back working overseas.
Ok so I’ve done my first week and hate it. I’m probably gonna drop out and apply to UCL instead.
Reply 10
Ok so I’ve done my first week and hate it. I’m probably gonna drop out and apply to UCL instead.

Wow I'm thinking of putting imperial as my firm and warwick as my insurance if I get offers. I like warwick more but imperial would probably grant me more job opportunities for engineering. What don't you like about Imperial? I'm scared it might be too intense and it will be just work work work aswell
Original post by Svesh
Wow I'm thinking of putting imperial as my firm and warwick as my insurance if I get offers. I like warwick more but imperial would probably grant me more job opportunities for engineering. What don't you like about Imperial? I'm scared it might be too intense and it will be just work work work aswell

I was doing my masters there (before I dropped out) and don’t like how intense the course was and it’s only science students so it’s mainly the same type of people. And there are sooo many international students omg 65% of postgrads are international I didn’t meet many people that I had much in common with. Since you’re applying for engineering it might be different for you, are you applying for ur undergrad?
Reply 12
I was doing my masters there (before I dropped out) and don’t like how intense the course was and it’s only science students so it’s mainly the same type of people. And there are sooo many international students omg 65% of postgrads are international I didn’t meet many people that I had much in common with. Since you’re applying for engineering it might be different for you, are you applying for ur undergrad?

Yep undergrad. Yh I don't like the fact that there will be lots of international student because of language barriers and cliques. Literally only applying there for reputation. Other choices are Warwick, southampton, bristol and manchester or UCL
Original post by Svesh
Yep undergrad. Yh I don't like the fact that there will be lots of international student because of language barriers and cliques. Literally only applying there for reputation. Other choices are Warwick, southampton, bristol and manchester or UCL

Wish I’d gone to Warwick instead. I’m applying to ucl to do my masters there as they have the course that I really wanna do but I heard they have loads of international students too, is that true? And same, the only reason I went to imperial is for the rep which was a mistake for me.
Reply 14
Wish I’d gone to Warwick instead. I’m applying to ucl to do my masters there as they have the course that I really wanna do but I heard they have loads of international students too, is that true? And same, the only reason I went to imperial is for the rep which was a mistake for me.

Lol yh still lots international students but not as many as imperial. I believe UCL is alot more chill and still has a pretty good Reputation internationaly. top 10 uni world wide anyway
Reply 15
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to Imperial for Public Health. Was just wondering what you mean by intense? Like what made it so bad you dropped out? And would you be able to give some tips as to what to include in my personal statement please?

Engineering will have even more international students, same with courses like maths, maybe 80%+ from SEA (SK, China, Japan, Singapore). The reason is because those unis have a limited number of places on top programmes and so their parents would prefer to send them abroad to top programmes than second tier unis in their own country. 65% is the average for imperial but most will be in STEM subjects.
Reply 17
Hello!I have an offer from warwick for MPH and I'm an international student. Did you switch for warwick? And if yes how did you find the program?The tuition fees are very high for overseas students so I also wanted to know if you can secure good jobs with a master from warwick.Thank you
Original post by weetruk
Hello!I have an offer from warwick for MPH and I'm an international student. Did you switch for warwick? And if yes how did you find the program?The tuition fees are very high for overseas students so I also wanted to know if you can secure good jobs with a master from warwick.Thank you

Hey! This thread is over a year old now, so you're probably not going to get a reply unfortunately!

If you still need to get some questions answered why don't you set up a new thread, you can do that if you want to click here!

Latest

Trending

Trending