The Student Room Group

Is my time worth at Cambridge?

Hi everyone, and thank you for your help. Im quite new here so sorry for repeating questions.

Let me start simply.
I'm capable for getting an offer from Cambridge or some other top Uni.
Therefore, all my grades etc are good.

At the moment, I feel like im only applying there because is one of the best Unis out there.
I want to study Engineering. Sometimes, I get that feeling of excitment about engineering like Wow! its amazing how the steam enigne works etc or huge projects that makes world better place. I'm always curious how stuff works.
I've spent few hours trying to workout how the car works when I first got it.
But sometimes when I look at other students from my Physics or Math class. I'm like what the f*ck Im doing here. I just dont suit the class or people. I'm the only one that is actually sporty looking. Eventhough, I have an interest in subject but I feel like my passion is somewhere else.
I cant belive that some people actually enjoy spending time in the library doing Maths instead of spending time with friends down the beach and just chilling. Dont get me wrong. I get time for work and time for chill. But not chill as if doing some math as most of my class do or do nerdy stuff like no life gaming.
Why am I being so negative to Oxbridge etc?
I went to Cam/Ox once with the college for few days to see it. It was like an open day. At the end of the day before we went to our rooms I was thinking to do something fun like a trip around Cambridge. Guess what! they all went to their rooms to do some math. Simillar thing happend at Ox.
Even my step father tells me. You and academic do not match.
I hope my intro is clear enough.

Im capable of working hard as I have already experienced it at A-Levels for example starting out with Further Math like FP2 etc (Advanced math) without knowing basics like C3, C4 which are fundamentals like diffrential equations.
I was basically thown into deep waters and had to learn most of my math modules on my own to keep up with the classes etc. English second language.
Sorry for not being clear but trust me only few poeple in college were working hard as me. No social life etc. Proper nerd. Burntout 2x to the stage of depression.
However, Im not that kind of person. I want to enjoy life and have fun and maybe be rich in the future but mostly go to the work that I love.

Some thoughts were over my mind maybe just to leave scientific subjects and just do Physical Education where all normal guys and fit girls are. BTW Im a lot into the fitness etc. As my work is college, my hobby is fitness. Not only but you get the point.

So now at the stage before applyling to Unis. I dont know how it looks from 3rd person view. What would you do if you were me? Should I risk it and see how it will be? Maybe Im wrong somewhere? Please give an advice I would really appreciate it.

Is it even worth at the end?
What is the real advantage of Oxbridge so that some poeple get wet when they get in? I know about higher employablity and working with best engineers in my case. But really is that it? Southampton is good and I wont lose sleep there and stay healthy compared to Cambridge.

To Cambridge poeple
=> How life looks like there?
=>Is is 8 hours a day revision? I love challange btw.
=>Truly about social life? Do you party crazy and not worrying about class in the morning?

To postgrads from Oxbridge
=>>>> was Oxbridge worth it?
You are a crazy person.
Original post by Reto
Hi everyone, and thank you for your help. Im quite new here so sorry for repeating questions.

Let me start simply.

At the moment, I feel like im only applying there because is one of the best Unis out there.
I want to study Engineering. Sometimes, I get that feeling of excitment about engineering like Wow! its amazing how the steam enigne works etc or huge projects that makes world better place. I'm always curious how stuff works.
But sometimes when I look at other students from my Physics or Math class. I'm like what the f*ck Im doing here. I just dont suit the class or people. I'm the only one that is actually sporty looking. Eventhough, I have an interest in subject but I feel like my passion is somewhere else.
I cant belive that some people actually enjoy spending time in the library doing Maths instead of spending time with friends down the beach and just chilling. Dont get me wrong. I get time for work and time for chill. But not chill as if doing some math as most of my class do or do nerdy stuff like no life gaming.
I went to Cam/Ox once with the college for few days to see it. It was like an open day. At the end of the day before we went to our rooms I was thinking to do something fun like a trip around Cambridge. Guess what! they all went to their rooms to do some math. Simillar thing happend at Ox.

Im capable of working hard as I have already experienced it at A-Levels for example starting out with Further Math like FP2 etc (Advanced math) without knowing basics like C3, C4 which are fundamentals like diffrential equations.
I was basically thown into deep waters and had to learn most of my math modules on my own to keep up with the classes etc. English second language.
Sorry for not being clear but trust me only few poeple in college were working hard as me. No social life etc. Proper nerd. Burntout 2x to the stage of depression.
However, Im not that kind of person. I want to enjoy life and have fun and maybe be rich in the future but mostly go to the work that I love.

Some thoughts were over my mind maybe just to leave scientific subjects and just do Physical Education where all normal guys and fit girls are. BTW Im a lot into the fitness etc. As my work is college, my hobby is fitness. Not only but you get the point.

So now at the stage before applyling to Unis. I dont know how it looks from 3rd person view. What would you do if you were me? Should I risk it and see how it will be? Maybe Im wrong somewhere? Please give an advice I would really appreciate it.

What is the real advantage of Oxbridge so that some poeple get wet when they get in? I know about higher employablity and working with best engineers in my case. But really is that it? Southampton is good and I wont lose sleep there and stay healthy compared to Cambridge.

To Cambridge poeple
=>Truly about social life? Do you party crazy and not worrying about class in the morning?

If you don't enjoy engineering then you are going to be burnt out at Cambridge. It's a stressful environment but you would still have fun (partying etc). Also, if you aren't willing to put in the effort in engineering maybe you should see what you would rather do.

If you are passionate about engineering and are willing to put in the work then you would be fine at any university, including Oxbridge.
Reply 3
Original post by Trinculo
You are a crazy person.

Is that complement? Can you just explain please why Im crazy. :smile:
Original post by Reto

Let me start simply.

To Cambridge poeple

No offence, from the dozens of missing articles and misspelt words, you won't be going to either uni. Just because you have the grades/predictions doesn't mean you'll get an offer. At Cambridge especially, the majority have 3 A*s or above.
Original post by Reto
Is that complement? Can you just explain please why Im crazy. :smile:

Because you are throwing out random words and ideas with no coherence.
Reply 6
Original post by Zaporizhia
No offence, from the dozens of missing articles and misspelt words, you won't be going to either uni. Just because you have the grades/predictions doesn't mean you'll get an offer. At Cambridge especially, the majority have 3 A*s or above.

Thank you. I know I dont have 100% offer but it's good to know well before what others think about it. BTW 4 A* and A at As but I know where you're coming from.
Reply 7
Original post by Reto
Thank you. I know I dont have 100% offer but it's good to know well before what others think about it. BTW 4 A* and A at As but I know where you're coming from.

There's no A* with AS-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
There's no A* with AS-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think he means 4 A* predicted and he already has 4 A at as
Original post by Trinculo
Because you are throwing out random words and ideas with no coherence.

It's like a markov chain generated from the applications and ucas forum
Original post by Reto

Let me start simply.

Is this a duplicate? I replied yesterday.

Oxbridge is not the best place to study Engineering if you want to work in industry. The courses are very theroretical and not very aligned to industry requirements. Neither uni takes part on Formula Student ["Formula Student is the most established educational engineering competition and a testing ground for the next generation of world-class engineers".]https://www.imeche.org/events/formula-student

You need to look at courses with a proper Year in Industry at somewhere like Bath, Loughborough, Oxford Brookes, ....
Reply 11
Lol guys I know what I'm talking about. I'm A3 student.
Reply 12
Original post by Reto
Lol guys I know what I'm talking about. I'm A3 student.

What's an A3 student?
Original post by e^iπ
What's an A3 student?

420 x 297mm as any fule know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending