The Student Room Group

Should I message him or nah? Dating site

Hi!

So I was on this dating app, and this guy asked for my number and I gave him.

Managed to speak all night and we were getting on SO well!

Here is the thing: he wanted to meet the week after and I said I am busy... in reality, I am trying to lose weight (lost 14KG so far) and do not want to see any 'potential' guy looking like a fat mess. It is for my own personal insecurities, so I said we can soon.

He is a dental student so he has been really busy since we last proper spoke that one night which was approx. 3 weeks ago... he hasn't text me back really, apologising and saying he is really busy. I messaged again asking when we can meet in the future and to sort a date, he said he will get back to me.

Now, I do not want to come off desperate but I am 23 and I am really BLOODY single and I really actually like this guy!

Should I message him since last time (has been 11 days) and just message a date for December (hoping when I have reached my goal weight, lol) and say this date it is or just wait for him?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi!

Here is the thing: he wanted to meet the week after and I said I am busy... in reality, I am trying to lose weight (lost 14KG so far) and do not want to see any 'potential' guy looking like a fat mess. It is for my own personal insecurities, so I said we can soon.

He is a dental student so he has been really busy since we last proper spoke that one night which was approx. 3 weeks ago... he hasn't text me back really, apologising and saying he is really busy. I messaged again asking when we can meet in the future and to sort a date, he said he will get back to me.

Now, I do not want to come off desperate but I am 23 and I am really BLOODY single and I really actually like this guy!

Should I message him since last time (has been 11 days) and just message a date for December (hoping when I have reached my goal weight, lol) and say this date it is or just wait for him?

Ik this out of context but just curious, what job do you do or ..?
Reply 2
Ik this out of context but just curious, what job do you do or ..?

How is that relevant?
How is that relevant?

Never mind lol.

Since he is dental student, he is probably gonna have higher standards and expectations. Academic guys have goals, any potential disruptions to their career, they view it as threat to their survival.
Reply 4
Never mind lol.

Since he is dental student, he is probably gonna have higher standards and expectations. Academic guys have goals, any potential disruptions to their career, they view it as threat to their survival.

I am University educated and applying for graduate entry medicine next year so...
Hi!

It might just be that he is very busy with his course. I would get into contact with him again. I wouldn't wait to meet him when you think you have reached your desired weight (especially if you are talking about December - that is a long way away, and a long time for him to wait!). That last time you saw him, he must have thought you were great just the way you are, especially if he was wanting to meet again. If possible, try to meet him as soon as you both are free.
Reply 6
Hi!

Sounds like he's not interested, to be honest.
Stay in touch but wait for him to suggest a date to meetup.
In my experience, dentists and dental students set more store by perfect shiny teeth than they do by weight.
Some are perfectionists that expect a perfect 10 in all respects but most are more reasonable.
Shiny teeth with no gaps or unstraightened teeth seem to be the deal breaker.
If you like someone you shouldn't keep them waiting or he will think your just playing games and that can put someone off a bit.
Don't wait for him to message you first just do it. Sending a text isn't going to bother him even if he is busy and students always use the excuse that they are too busy/too tired studying when people in real jobs are the ones who are are too busy/tired.
You should tell him the truth about why you wanted to wait before meeting him and see what he says. It's a good test to see how he reacts.
You're not going to lose any weight in that amount of time where you will look drastically slimmer so you should just arrange a date now and if he says he's busy just ask to meet for a quick coffee.
Or on any weekend. If someone is that busy you can offer to meet him closer to where he is for a coffee or lunch.
It's not nice to tell someone that you will not meet them straight away or the next day and I hate it when people say we will meet soon as that normally means never.
Everybody can give a clear date and time of when they can meet up because they already have a calendar of what they are doing and can work around that.
If he really likes you he won't care about you losing weight before you meet as you can try to lose weight after you've had your first date.
He could easily meet somebody else by that time or he will get bored of waiting and go off you if you don't arrange an actual date now.
If he really is keen too he wold not leave you hanging by saying I will let you know.
Ask him for a rough date of when you can meet because I also hate it when people say I'll let you know. He could have said I will let you know by tomorrow or something like that.
Look, I know what you're saying about wanting to lose weight before he sees you for the first time, but expecting him to wait almost 3 months before you'll meet up is a long time, and it's not fair.

If you genuinely like this guy, you need to meet up sooner, and get over your insecurities. It might even help to be truthful with him about why you're so concerned about meeting up right now. I bet you think more into your weight than he would anyway, and the way you look really isn't everything, by any means.
Hi!

Im just curious but What is that dating site called ?
I am University educated and applying for graduate entry medicine next year so...

Congratulations. That’s what I admire, career-first.
Reply 12
Hi!

lmao@ December?

It's september right now

Funnily enough a girl once pulled the December routine on me when I asked to meet up for a date.Said she was too busy with uni and she wanted to meet in December

I immediately stopped talking to her........

don't have time for games /timewasters/ or wishy washy women ...and that's how it comes across tbh when you extend a meet date like that....
Reply 13
Hi!

Nobody is that busy they can't text for 11 days. I think he's over it and not wanting to say anything more lol.
Reply 14
Original post by ANM775
lmao@ December?

It's september right now

Funnily enough a girl once pulled the December routine on me when I asked to meet up for a date.Said she was too busy with uni and she wanted to meet in December

don't have time for games /timewasters/ or wishy washy women ...and that's how it comes across tbh when you extend a meet date like that....

December = holidays when she's free so that's reasonable lol...
Reply 15
Original post by Plus7

If you have serious interest in the other person, you make some time for them

I refuse to believe a girl is so busy with uni work that she can only see a guy at holidays.

she was playing games......
"

(Original post by ANM775)
lmao@ December?

It's september right now

don't have time for games /timewasters/ or wishy washy women ...and that's how it comes across tbh when you extend a meet date like that....see less"@Judge Jules? lol
Original post by Plus7

Exactly, I work full-time, plus volunteer in three different places PLUS help my mum look after my dementia-ill grandmother, so?

He also lives about an hour and a half away from me and he goes Uni full time, not everyone is free, especially as I work literally Monday to Friday at work and the weekends to volunteer and revise for the GAMSAT!
:frown:
Original post by ANM775
If you have serious interest in the other person, you make some time for them

I refuse to believe a girl is so busy with uni work that she can only see a guy at holidays.

she was playing games......

I don't share the same responsibilities as you - this is called being flexible.

How am I playing games when I have stated that I don't feel secure in myself?...

I work full-time, look after my ill grandmother, revise for the GAMSAT and currently filling applications for UCAS, all whilst volunteering?

Also, we met online, I don't want to meet a stranger after a week - it's called vetting.

Think before you speak - not everyone lives the same life.

He also lives 2 hours away from me, it's not just a walk down the road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending