The Student Room Group

Becoming a teacher??

I’ve recently decided that I’d like to become a teacher because of the various benefits such as holidays and I think it’s the ideal environment for me. Can I even do it with a BTEC level 3 instead of a levels? Also would IT/Computer Science subject be better or Business studies / economics? I guess it would be easier to get a job teaching computing simply because there’s often more teachers for that subject in schools

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student1191
I’ve recently decided that I’d like to become a teacher because of the various benefits such as holidays and I think it’s the ideal environment for me. Can I even do it with a BTEC level 3 instead of a levels? Also would IT/Computer Science subject be better or Business studies / economics? I guess it would be easier to get a job teaching computing simply because there’s often more teachers for that subject in schools

IT/Computer Science will probably be more beneficial. Business Studies/Economics are GCSE and A-Level optional subjects. Not every school will necessarily offer them as a subject to students and many schools now prefer to take on teachers who are qualified to teach a subject in all years. There is also more demand for teachers in STEM subjects.
Original post by Constantine2018
IT/Computer Science will probably be more beneficial. Business Studies/Economics are GCSE and A-Level optional subjects. Not every school will necessarily offer them as a subject to students and many schools now prefer to take on teachers who are qualified to teach a subject in all years. There is also more demand for teachers in STEM subjects.

I'm afraid in order to be a teacher, you must have a degree. There is no leeway in this. Teacher training providers will not accept people who do not have a degree.

Oh yeah ofc I plan on going to uni

Oh my word, that's not a good reason to teach! You do know that those 'holidays' are actually spent mainly working on developing lessons and courses for the forthcoming year, catching up on marking, maybe marking examination scripts...

I dont' want to patronise you, but have you spent any time in a school in a teaching capacity, or have you done any work experience/observation in a school recently?
Oh yeah ofc I plan on going to uni

The only time a school will look at your A-Levels is if you have A-Levels in Biology or other science subjects, as schools might ask you to teach these subjects then. Really, as long as you have a relevant degree in the subject you want to teach, A-Levels and BTECs don't really matter.
Original post by Reality Check
Oh my word, that's not a good reason to teach! You do know that those 'holidays' are actually spent mainly working on developing lessons and courses for the forthcoming year, catching up on marking, maybe marking examination scripts...

I dont' want to patronise you, but have you spent any time in a school in a teaching capacity, or have you done any work experience/observation in a school recently?

Ok well marking exams over summer is optional and most teachers just steal presentations offline and once you’ve got them you reuse them every year then maybe a few adaptations for a new spec
Original post by Constantine2018
The only time a school will look at your A-Levels is if you have A-Levels in Biology or other science subjects, as schools might ask you to teach these subjects then. Really, as long as you have a relevant degree in the subject you want to teach, A-Levels and BTECs don't really matter.

Ok thanks
Ok well marking exams over summer is optional and most teachers just steal presentations offline and once you’ve got them you reuse them every year then maybe a few adaptations for a new spec

lol, ummm no...

Do yourself a favour and do a bit more research about what being a teacher involves before committing yourself to the course. You'll thank me in the long run.
Reply 8

As a student, you sound like you'd be a nightmare teacher. Please think this through.
Get your pgce, then go abroad to gain experience. Teachers are not valued in this country.

You are living in dream land ...PLEASE don't try to be a teacher with this attitude.
Ok thanks

A levels will be preferable if you are planning to teach to this level.
Original post by Muttley79
You are living in dream land ...PLEASE don't try to be a teacher with this attitude.

How so? Some of my teachers did this. “Why should I do it when someone’s done it for me”

Terrifying, isn't it.
How so? Some of my teachers did this. “Why should I do it when someone’s done it for me”

'Some' of your teachers - are you sure they were serious? Yes they may use prepared resources some of the time but every lesson? What sort of school is this? I reckon most teachers work 60 hours a week - no way do any of us use this sort of lesson!

You really need A levels if you want to teach to A level ...
Original post by Reality Check
Terrifying, isn't it.

Yes - but OP won't get into a PGCE with that attitude.

Lol optional, we wish! Whilst teachers may borrow and adapt resources, there is a lot of work that has to be done behind the scenes. Lesson planning, group profiles, stretch and challenge, differentiation which will differ every year depending on the groups of students you have. I've started my first post and I am honestly drowning with the amount that has to be prepared. Holiday periods are used for planning etc. It's also a heavily demotivated sector with vast numbers of teachers leaving year on year, particularily nqt's. You need to join teaching for the right reasons if you want any chance of staying in it with your mental wellbeing in tact.
Yes - but OP won't get into a PGCE with that attitude.

Yes, true.
Original post by Justmac
Lol optional, we wish! Whilst teachers may borrow and adapt resources, there is a lot of work that has to be done behind the scenes. Lesson planning, group profiles, stretch and challenge, differentiation which will differ every year depending on the groups of students you have. I've started my first post and I am honestly drowning with the amount that has to be prepared. Holiday periods are used for planning etc. It's also a heavily demotivated sector with vast numbers of teachers leaving year on year, particularily nqt's. You need to join teaching for the right reasons if you want any chance of staying in it with your mental wellbeing in tact.

Clearly most teachers aren’t time efficient. You may as well take a presentation if it’s the sand stuff you would’ve typed out
Clearly most teachers aren’t time efficient. You may as well take a presentation if it’s the sand stuff you would’ve typed out

Oh my word. Really? I don’t think you have any place to say that when you clearly have no idea what teaching involves. The naive comments above about lots of holidays, stealing presentations off the internet and exam marking in the holidays just says it all. You really need to do your research on this.
Teaching is not just something you “fancy” doing, it’s something you have to dedicate yourself to and be fully on board with, hence why you are getting negative comments.

Quick Reply