The Student Room Group

Will I get into Oxford?

I’m applying for Oxford University for 2019 entry on the Experimental Psychology course.

In my A levels, I’m predicted A*A*A in Psychology, English Literature, and Chemistry and A* in my Psychology related EPQ.

I got 998A*AAAAAA (essentially 4A*s and 6As) in my GCSEs plus an A* in short course RS

A lot of the other girls applying from my school have a lot more A*s than me at GCSEs and most likely 3 A* predictions at A level. Even if I do well on the TSA, I feel like I’m very unlikely to get in and I’m scared to get my hopes up. Do I even have a chance?
If you get those grades easily.
Reply 2
No one on the student room can tell you objectivity if you will get into Oxford. Your grades are good, you have a shot.

Provided your personal statement and interview skills are on par.
Original post by quirky editor
If you get those grades easily.

As in my A-level grades?
Original post by SyedHB
No one on the student room can tell you objectivity if you will get into Oxford. Your grades are good, you have a shot.

Provided your personal statement and interview skills are on par.

Yeah I guess I know that no one can tell me if I can I just wanted some honest guidance on whether it’s even possible
Original post by becci_davis
As in my A-level grades?

They look at more than just grades but the A Level and GCSE grades themselves shouldn't be a problem
I’m applying for Oxford University for 2019 entry on the Experimental Psychology course.

In my A levels, I’m predicted A*A*A in Psychology, English Literature, and Chemistry and A* in my Psychology related EPQ.

I got 998A*AAAAAA (essentially 4A*s and 6As) in my GCSEs plus an A* in short course RS

A lot of the other girls applying from my school have a lot more A*s than me at GCSEs and most likely 3 A* predictions at A level. Even if I do well on the TSA, I feel like I’m very unlikely to get in and I’m scared to get my hopes up. Do I even have a chance?

Hi,
I am in the exact same position as you. I have just started Yr 13 I study English, History and Photography and I think I am predicted an AAA and I am doing an English EPQ.

I want to study English for degree and I am also applying to Oxford university for 2019 entry.

For GCSEs I got 88A*A*AAAAAA (literally the same results as you except you got 9s - higher A*s! So Amazing! Well done for that!) I only did the new 9-1 for English and Maths so I only have two number grades but I couldn't get a single 9.

A lot of other girls in my school have like 9 or 10 A*s or something ridiculous like that for GCSEs. But I don't think GCSE grades are as important as you might think. If you want inspiration look up Ibz Mo who got like Cs and stuff in his GCSEs and still worked himself up to all A* in A-levels and a place at Cambridge!

Nobody on TSR can really say if you will get in or not but the Oxford admissions process is so specific and based on the individual. They will always look at your application as a whole and so you getting in is based on so many different factors e.g Admissions test, interview, Personal statement, A-levels etc etc.

The truth is you will never know if you will get into Oxford if you never try! I personally wasn't going to apply at all because I truly believed I was not good enough to be considered. Especially when there are people in my school who are so much better than me. What I'm trying to say to you is try your best and APPLY ANYWAY! You will always regret not knowing if you could have got in if you never applied to begin with!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stressmess
Hi,
I am in the exact same position as you. I have just started Yr 13 I study English, History and Photography and I think I am predicted an AAA and I am doing an English EPQ.

I want to study English for degree and I am also applying to Oxford university for 2019 entry.

For GCSEs I got 88A*A*AAAAAA (literally the same results as you except you got 9s - higher A*s! So Amazing! Well done for that!) I only did the new 9-1 for English and Maths so I only have two number grades but I couldn't get a single 9.

A lot of other girls in my school have like 9 or 10 A*s or something ridiculous like that for GCSEs. But I don't think GCSE grades are as important as you might think. If you want inspiration look up Ibz Mo who got like Cs and stuff in his GCSEs and stil worked himself up to all A* in A-levels and a place at Cambridge!

Nobody on TSR can really say if you will get in or not but the Oxford admissions process is so specific and based on the individual. They will always look at your application as whole and so you getting in is based on so many different factors e.g Admissions test, interview, Personal statement, A-levels etc etc.

The truth is you will never know if you will get into Oxford if you never try! I personally wasn't going to apply at all because I truly beleived I was not good enough to be considered. Especially when there are people in my school who are so much better than me. What I'm trying to say to you is try your best and APPLY ANYWAY! You wil always regret not knowing if you could have got in if you never applied to begin with!

Sounds like we’re in the exact same situation. I’m definitely willing to try but I honestly feel a bit defeated when so many people have so much better grades than me
Sounds like we’re in the exact same situation. I’m definitely willing to try but I honestly feel a bit defeated when so many people have so much better grades than me

Most people who apply to Oxford don't get in. From a quick scan of a FoI answer for the 2019 intake, it looks like about 40 UK applicants recieved an offer; of these, 4 or 5 had 3 or fewer A*s at GCSE
EDIT: Sorry, that should be 'for the 2017/18 intake'
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by OxFossil
Most people who apply to Oxford don't get in. From a quick scan of a FoI answer for the 2019 intake, it looks like about 40 UK applicants recieved an offer; of these, half a dozen had 3 or fewer A*s at GCSE (including one with zero A*s).

Wow thanks!
I read this as 998 A* and thought you were taking the pîss out of all those 'am I good enough for Oxford' threads.

I misread it...
Original post by Reality Check
I read this as 998 A* and thought you were taking the pîss out of all those 'am I good enough for Oxford' threads.

I misread it...

Oh my god yeah so many of them actually say “I have 3 million A* will I get in to Oxford”
Oh my god yeah so many of them actually say “I have 3 million A* will I get in to Oxford”

Exactly! :smile:

I understand your frustration but you have got really good grades in the bag, you have a good shot at applying to Oxford, but please don't feel defeated, I mean those are very good predictions and GCSE grades, some people would dream to get your grades and it doesn't happen for them. You're clearly an academically bright student but maybe you should stop being so harsh on yourself, you have such a good shot, who cares what other people get.

Of course your grades are good enough, make sure you focus on other parts of the entrance process, e.g. TSA/PS.
Wow thanks!

Oops. Apologies for my wonky eyesight. It should be 4 or 5 offers with 3 or fewer A*s.
Ok, so I can't tell you if you will or will not get in, as others have said, mostly in part as to the fact that GCSE and A Level are such a small part of the Oxford process. Your grades are more than sufficient, but that does not guarantee you a place. What is most important are your interview and pre-interview assessment, as from what I can tell, this is what the primary decision is based on.

There are people who get 11 A* at GCSE, and 4 A* at A-level who do not get places, and people who have only 5 A* and the minimum requirements to get on the course who do.

What college are you applying to?
Original post by vicvic38
Ok, so I can't tell you if you will or will not get in, as others have said, mostly in part as to the fact that GCSE and A Level are such a small part of the Oxford process. Your grades are more than sufficient, but that does not guarantee you a place. What is most important are your interview and pre-interview assessment, as from what I can tell, this is what the primary decision is based on.

There are people who get 11 A* at GCSE, and 4 A* at A-level who do not get places, and people who have only 5 A* and the minimum requirements to get on the course who do.

What college are you applying to?

University College

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending