The Student Room Group

Biomed or chemistry?

Which is the better option if I plan to go into medicine eventually? I really enjoy chemistry but have been told that biomed would give me a better chance of getting into graduate entry medicine. My only worry is I don't end up going into medicine, how useful is a biomed degree by itself and what can I do with it? Also is a biomed course generally easier to get into than chemistry?
I would say biomed helps but I’m biased since I’m doing biomed myself nevertheless it’s still a good option
Maybe Biomed although I've applied to Pharmacy with predicted grades (BBB) and going through grad med that way.. however, isn't it that Biomed is quite competitive since the majority of the students doing biomed want to Med graduate.. You can go through any route in order to do med graduate so long as you get 2:1 (think you already know that haha) but yeah, Biomed is a good option..
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for the link, I didn't realise some schools only ask for life sciences.
I'm in year 13 currently and didn't apply for undergrad as I'm doing modular A levels and achieved B grades in my AS exams so I'll be resitting a few to hopefully bring my grades up to A's. I could alternatively apply at the end of year 13 with my final grades, but it's not guaranteed I'll get high enough grades to get in, also I'd like to start uni straight away.
Original post by Professional G
I would say biomed helps but I’m biased since I’m doing biomed myself nevertheless it’s still a good option

Yeah I've been told biomed is the better option. What grades did you need for biomed if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by lemon27
Yeah I've been told biomed is the better option. What grades did you need for biomed if you don't mind me asking?

It depends. For a good uni, I would say anywhere between BBB - AAA
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Maybe Biomed although I've applied to Pharmacy with predicted grades (BBB) and going through grad med that way.. however, isn't it that Biomed is quite competitive since the majority of the students doing biomed want to Med graduate.. You can go through any route in order to do med graduate so long as you get 2:1 (think you already know that haha) but yeah, Biomed is a good option..

Yeah I thought a 2:1 in something like chemistry could still get into med as I'll have A level biology too. But now that i'm thinking about it, biomed would probably be the better option. ugh im so confused i've written like 3 different personal statements for different courses 😂
Original post by lemon27
Yeah I thought a 2:1 in something like chemistry could still get into med as I'll have A level biology too. But now that i'm thinking about it, biomed would probably be the better option. ugh im so confused i've written like 3 different personal statements for different courses 😂

I have written one personal statement for med and pharmacy my school told me it isn't necessary for me to write two since pharm is my fifth option.. do biomed then, if you think it will be better.... It's annoying all these long routes but I know I can't get into med this year due to my bloody predicted grades being BBB hahah.
Original post by Professional G
It depends. For a good uni, I would say anywhere between BBB - AAA

are most people on your course planning to do medicine after biomed?
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
I have written one personal statement for med and pharmacy my school told me it isn't necessary for me to write two since pharm is my fifth option.. do biomed then, if you think it will be better.... It's annoying all these long routes but I know I can't get into med this year due to my bloody predicted grades being BBB hahah.

oh i see, I'm pretty much in the same situation. Good luck to you!
Original post by lemon27
are most people on your course planning to do medicine after biomed?

Some are. It’s competitive but the uni places their own applicants above other uni applicants so they have an advantage
Original post by lemon27
oh i see, I'm pretty much in the same situation. Good luck to you!

same goes to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending