The Student Room Group

What are the possible routes into becoming a pilot if I have A levels in 3 sciences?

I'm currently enrolled on a BEng Mechanical Engineering degree at a RG university but I don't think i'm going to find it interesting and I really think i'm going to find the jobs afterwards boring because it all seems really dead to me.

On the other hand, becoming a pilot seems like an interesting and exciting prospect and while I know it's going to require A LOT of hard work and money, i'm up for it. I have A levels in maths, physics and chemistry at ABB right now so what are the possible routes into becoming a pilot if I withdraw from university after a couple of months or after the degree?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Join the military, free flying lessons.
Reply 2
Engineering isn't dead end by any means, but the most important thing needed for being a pilot is disposable income to pay for the lessons.
Reply 3
Original post by Sinnoh
Engineering isn't dead end by any means, but the most important thing needed for being a pilot is disposable income to pay for the lessons.

I don't mean it's not interesting, I meant that it's just not for me and I really don't find it interesting it lol.
Finish your university - by the time you graduate you might have chosen a different route. (Thumbs up)
Original post by akash3141
I'm currently enrolled on a BEng Mechanical Engineering degree at a RG university but I don't think i'm going to find it interesting and I really think i'm going to find the jobs afterwards boring because it all seems really dead to me.

On the other hand, becoming a pilot seems like an interesting and exciting prospect and while I know it's going to require A LOT of hard work and money, i'm up for it. I have A levels in maths, physics and chemistry at ABB right now so what are the possible routes into becoming a pilot if I withdraw from university after a couple of months or after the degree?

Thanks.

Hey!

Wow it sounds like your really up for that career choice, It certainly is a interesting career! I would advise you to have a look at this website (
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/job-profiles/airline-pilot
) which will explain to you how to approach this job. Meanwhile a degree is not necessary for an aviation career but a large amount of disposable income is!

Good luck!
Reply 6
If you were interested in the military, you should look at applying to the navy as a pilot (normally I would say RAF, but they have a really long wait between initial training and conversion training, and the navy don't). After a commission in the armed forces, airlines are really happy to accept military pilots, as they are already trained and know what they are doing.

If you prefer the more commercial side, look at Singapore Airlines and easy jet. Both these airlines do 'Cadet' schemes, so they teach you to fly from scratch, rather than taking on experienced pilots.

If you have any more questions, pm me!

Ta,
TheGobbyOne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending