The Student Room Group

Would it be okay if I were to write my EPQ on Pride and Prejudice...?

I would like to write my EPQ on Pride and Prejudice and another book which I am yet to decide on but I've written my English coursework on Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre.
Would it be okay if I were to write my EPQ on Pride and Prejudice and a different book?
Reply 1
Why Pride and Prejudice? What would your theme be? Pride and Prejudice has been done to death after all...
Reply 2
Original post by Airmed
Why Pride and Prejudice? What would your theme be? Pride and Prejudice has been done to death after all...

I can't really pick the theme until I've picked the other novel that I'm gonna draw a comparison to.
I just really wanna know if I'm allowed to use one of the books that I'm also using for my literature coursework?
BTW: Thanks for the fast reply! 😊
Original post by rosalieee
I can't really pick the theme until I've picked the other novel that I'm gonna draw a comparison to.
I just really wanna know if I'm allowed to use one of the books that I'm also using for my literature coursework?

No you can't do your EPQ on something you're already studying.
Reply 4
Original post by Airmed

Would would you recommend I write my project on? Something that would be unexpected.
Reply 5

say goodbye to Pride and Prejudice!

What do you plan to study at uni? Perhaps something around that?
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
No you can't do your EPQ on something you're already studying.

But its not a book that is part of the course curriculum. It's only part of my coursework (I picked it) or does it still count as being a text that I'm studying?
Like, the question would be different and the second text would be different from the other text that I compared Pride and Prejudice to for my coursework.
But its not a book that is part of the course curriculum. It's only part of my coursework (I picked it) or does it still count as being a text that I'm studying?
Like, the question would be different and the second text would be different from the other text that I compared Pride and Prejudice to for my coursework.

Imo that would count as a text that you're studying. However I could be wrong so it's best to contact the exam board for the EPQ and double check before you start itm
Reply 8
Original post by Airmed
say goodbye to Pride and Prejudice!

What do you plan to study at uni? Perhaps something around that?

I know that I wanna do a English literature and creative writing course but I don't know much more than that.
I'm a fan of the Romantics if that helps...
Would would you recommend I write my project on? Something that would be unexpected.

This is gonna sound dumb as all hell, but my credentials are reasonably solid here - I got an A in Advanced Higher English and I'm doing Law at Glasgow - and this is what I would do.

Call Me By Your Name.

I know, I know, it's dumb. Just hear me out.

If you've ever read it, you'll know it is very much of sufficient literary merit. It deals with themes that are relevant to us all, and run right through the English literary canon - youthful desire; the search for, and experience of, intimacy; the transience of human existence and man's search for meaning... the list goes on. And above all, NO ONE will have done it before. It's your EPQ - it's not your thesis. Take a chance. It's fertile ground for literary analysis, and even if the examiner hasn't read it, they'll no doubt be aware of its themes. The film did win an Oscar, after all.
Reply 10
Original post by DrawTheLine
Imo that would count as a text that you're studying. However I could be wrong so it's best to contact the exam board for the EPQ and double check before you start itm

I think I might just do it on completely different texts to be on the safe side 'cause I don't have the time to check with teachers and the exam board.
My first draft is due Monday. 😂
I changed my EPQ at last minute from music to literature focused.
I think I might just do it on completely different texts to be on the safe side 'cause I don't have the time to check with teachers and the exam board.
My first draft is due Monday. 😂
I changed my EPQ at last minute from music to literature focused.

Definitely best to be safe!

Quick Reply

Latest