The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
which American cities have you lived in?
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
which American cities have you lived in?

I've been to New york and that's all but UK cities like Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool really can't compare to Los angeles, New York, Las Vegas, Chicago etc In my opinion only London and Manchester are the only good cities in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by Agent456
I've been to New york and that's all but UK cities like Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool really can't compare to Los angeles, New York, Las Vegas, Chicago etc In my opinion only London and Manchester are the only good cities in the UK.

i didn't like New York. did you not notice the piles and piles of garbage bags on every street corner? plus too may tourists. plus the subway is surprisingly limited.

don't be fooled by Vegas. it's literally a sh*t town. only glamorous place is the strip.

i'm Canadian and even as a kid i knew i would never ever want to live in America. i don't like the politics and this was before Trump (obvs). i don't like the healthcare system, don't like the education system. Americans don't learn about other countries in school; they know virtually nothing about Canada even though we know everything about them. i'm sure most don't know anything about the UK either. there's a funny youtube video of David Cameron on the tonight show. he tells the story of how some american on the street recognised him from the 'tv show' parliament.
Reply 4
Original post by Joleee
i didn't like New York. did you not notice the piles and piles of garbage bags on every street corner? plus too may tourists. plus the subway is surprisingly limited.

don't be fooled by Vegas. it's literally a sh*t town. only glamorous place is the strip.

i'm Canadian and even as a kid i knew i would never ever want to live in America. i don't like the politics and this was before Trump (obvs). i don't like the healthcare system, don't like the education system. Americans don't learn about other countries in school; they know virtually nothing about Canada even though we know everything about them. i'm sure most don't know anything about the UK either. there's a funny youtube video of David Cameron on the tonight show. he tells the story of how some american on the street recognised him from the 'tv show' parliament.

Yeah, there was a lot of garbage bags in New York.
Reply 5
But you gotta admit though, most american cities are widely known and the only widely known cities in the UK is London and Manchester
But you gotta admit though, most american cities are widely known and the only widely known cities in the UK is London and Manchester

that doesn't define how well it's known or not lmao.

A city can be perfect and not be recognized world wide.

You've seen very little of the USA to be honest. Seeing Beverly Hills on television isn't exactly representative of life in Los Angeles, it's like thinking everyone in London lives in Holland Park.
Hardly a metropolis, more of a large town.

How do you know that all 'UK cities' don't compare to a selection of US cities you've never visited? Bit weird...
Like only London and Manchester are good in my opinion, lol

Try cities in the Netherlands and Germany, e.g Frankfurt, Hamburg, Munich, Rotterdam, the Hague, Amsterdam. They tend to be very clean and 'feel' like a large city, with plenty of attractions. Dusseldorf too.
Original post by Joleee

canadians are americans though..
Reply 12
Original post by Secretnerd123

haha yes sometimes people hear my accent and ask 'American'? word to the wise always assume Canadian first. (not being rude, i have American friends :smile:)

Well they aren’t.
Original post by RickHendricks
that doesn't define how well it's known or not lmao.

A city can be perfect and not be recognized world wide.

On the flip side a city can be well known, but for all the wrong reasons. Aleppo springs to mind.
Original post by Joleee
haha yes sometimes people hear my accent and ask 'American'? word to the wise always assume Canadian first. (not being rude, i have American friends :smile:)

Original post by Andrew97
Well they aren’t.

On the flip side a city can be well known, but for all the wrong reasons. Aleppo springs to mind.

canadians ARE technically american. its in north america isnt it?
canadians ARE technically american. its in north america isnt it?

North America is a continent.

When people say American, most people think of the United States rather than the continent. By that logic people from Mexico are American.
(edited 5 years ago)

It's true that the north sucks.

LA is an utter, utter, utter dive. The levels of terribleness of LA just cannot be understated. The levels of homelessness and the awfulness of local government there cannot be adequately described.

New York is ok, but it's not really that different to London. Same challenges with these big cities.

Vegas isn't a real place. It's Disneyland for adults.

Chicago, I've never been to, but I would hardly describe it as one of the great cities of the world.

The American cities I like are - San Francisco (but same problems as LA with insane hipsters and lunatics in charge), Boston, Minneapolis and Denver.

In this country - we're really crowded and old. People like the cities for their quaintness and all that. Cambridge, Oxford, York etc. I've also always quite like Plymouth for some reason.
You would need to visit every single city in the UK and the USA, which you haven't, crap thread I'm afraid.
Reply 18
Original post by Trinculo

The American cities I like are - San Francisco (but same problems as LA with insane hipsters and lunatics in charge), Boston, Minneapolis and Denver.

how come? just wondering.

i heard Boston is really nice but never been. Denver because of football or because weed is legalised?
**** post x

Latest