The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject

Right. Currently I am 2 weeks into studying Geography, French, English Language and Chemistry at a level. I want to continue with chemistry a level, but then again, I don't! I'm interested in physical sides of geography and modern foreign languages (French) and English. Hoping to maybe do something in those areas. I got 6-6 in combined science at gcse and I want to know whether I should continue studying Chemistry as I feel like I'm not going to cope with the level of difficulty?????
Reply 1
It all depends on you and what you think is the best for you as right now I am also 2 weeks in my a-levels and I cannot cope with business and decided first thing In the morning on monday I would change it to law as I have spoke to my business teacher my tutor my friends and my parents (although my mom wasn't that happy interms of how I want to change within the first 2 weeks (technically 1 week as we only studied in sixth form for 7 days)) but at the end she was fine with my decision. Also if you really want to drop it drop it because you don't want to regret it or you can carry it on an extra 1-2 weeks and see but if you cannot take it then you can always drop it as you go along. Also after college (going to get a job/ apprenticeship or even going to uni they only need 3 a-levels also there is a lot of people in my sixth form who are changing their subjects or dropping one due to how they feel (difficulty wise and if they enjoy it or not) so your not the only one feeling like this so don't worry :smile:
Hope this helps
Original post by Etayls21
Right. Currently I am 2 weeks into studying Geography, French, English Language and Chemistry at a level. I want to continue with chemistry a level, but then again, I don't! I'm interested in physical sides of geography and modern foreign languages (French) and English. Hoping to maybe do something in those areas. I got 6-6 in combined science at gcse and I want to know whether I should continue studying Chemistry as I feel like I'm not going to cope with the level of difficulty?????

You should’ve don’t triple if you wanted to do a level science
Reply 3
Original post by Student1191
You should’ve don’t triple if you wanted to do a level science

In my school, it was either a 6 in seperates or 6-6 in combined.
Reply 4
Original post by Zhen14
It all depends on you and what you think is the best for you as right now I am also 2 weeks in my a-levels and I cannot cope with business and decided first thing In the morning on monday I would change it to law as I have spoke to my business teacher my tutor my friends and my parents (although my mom wasn't that happy interms of how I want to change within the first 2 weeks (technically 1 week as we only studied in sixth form for 7 days)) but at the end she was fine with my decision. Also if you really want to drop it drop it because you don't want to regret it or you can carry it on an extra 1-2 weeks and see but if you cannot take it then you can always drop it as you go along. Also after college (going to get a job/ apprenticeship or even going to uni they only need 3 a-levels also there is a lot of people in my sixth form who are changing their subjects or dropping one due to how they feel (difficulty wise and if they enjoy it or not) so your not the only one feeling like this so don't worry :smile:
Hope this helps

Thankyou, i think i will carry on a week or so and speak to my teachers about it as i feel as though it would be the A2 year that will be the hardest as of the maths etc..
I got an A* in old money in chemistry GCSE (took triple science) and found A level hard. I did pass with an A, but it took a lot of effort. Geography was hard with it being a new syllabus. You do realise that physical geography is only half of the content? The human geography paper this year was very difficult, but I did OK.
Reply 6
Original post by Bunnykins
I got an A* in old money in chemistry GCSE (took triple science) and found A level hard. I did pass with an A, but it took a lot of effort. Geography was hard with it being a new syllabus. You do realise that physical geography is only half of the content? The human geography paper this year was very difficult, but I did OK.

okay and i know physical geography is only half the course but i do like human, it's just i find it more fun to learn about physical geography. Unfortunately you can't take a level physical geography otherwise i would!

Quick Reply

Latest