The Student Room Group

BSc Economics - help me decide on my unis (urgent)

1) LSE/Warwick/UCL/Oxford (economics and management)/QMUL or Surrey
2) LSE/UCL/Oxford/QMUL/Surrey

I am really doubting my chances of getting into LSE/UCL/Warwick/UCL/Oxford because my academic profile is not great with 2bs at gcse (+8a* and 1 a) and a b at as level. However, I really want to get at least one offer from LSE/UCL/Warwick/Oxford but I am scared I might not receive offers from any of them if i apply to all 4... Gap year is the last thing I would want to do. Would you recommend having (1) 4 aspirational choices + 1 backup or (2) 3 aspirational choices 2 backups?

EDIT: i know my gcses aren't too bad but I think my grades are slightly below/ just average compared to the results from the rest of my school.. and my school gets an average of 30 people with top grades into oxbridge every year
(edited 5 years ago)
What are your predicted grades?
Original post by _Mia101
What are your predicted grades?

A*A*A (Maths, Economics, Biology) and A in FM AS
Reply 3
Had worse GCSEs (5A* 2A 1B 1C) and I’m starting at LSE next week. Also got offers for Bsc Econ from UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and was pooled by Cambridge. Your chances of receiving offers are far more dependent on the strength of your personal statement
Original post by student1004

Well, have you asked your schools career advisor?

Also, if you have a strong personal statement and you meet ALL the requirements I don't see why you shouldn't apply for 4 aspirational choices and 1 backup. Just ensure you like the backup and you are quite sure that you will get a place at the uni.

Also, you could try and find out what unis tend to be in clearing (assuming you didn't get any offers, I think by May) you could apply through clearing. I'm not sure but I think Surrey is in clearing.

And, if you have no offers by Jan/Feb I believe that there is a second round of applications, but you'll have to check on that one.

Hope this helps
Reply 5
1) LSE/Warwick/UCL/Oxford (economics and management)/QMUL or Surrey
2) LSE/UCL/Oxford/QMUL/Surrey

I am really doubting my chances of getting into LSE/UCL/Warwick/UCL/Oxford because my academic profile is not great with 2bs at gcse (rest a* and 1 a) and a b at as level. However, I really want to get at least one offer from LSE/UCL/Warwick/Oxford but I am scared I might not receive offers from any of them if i apply to all 4... Gap year is the last thing I would want to do. Would you recommend having (1) 4 aspirational choices + 1 backup or (2) 3 aspirational choices 2 backups?

If you're 100% sure you won't consider a gap year then have 2 safe (i mean safeeee) options. I prefer option B but bare in mind qm may give you a similar offer to the other schools (maybe 1 boundary less). they might take you with less (if you don't meet the offer), but it's not a particularly safe option.
Original post by 15376
Had worse GCSEs (5A* 2A 1B 1C) and I’m starting at LSE next week. Also got offers for Bsc Econ from UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and was pooled by Cambridge. Your chances of receiving offers are far more dependent on the strength of your personal statement

It's my AS grade that concerns me more... LSE's website says weak gcse performance can be compensated by strong AS performance but i messed up and got a B and I've heard LSE puts a lot of emphasis on AS. My predictions aren't that strong as well considering I only have 3 alevels and don't even take further maths to Alevel. I guess my only option is to hope for the best. My personal statement is pretty strong I think (At least from the feedback I've received from teachers and friends)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by _Mia101
Well, have you asked your schools career advisor?

Also, if you have a strong personal statement and you meet ALL the requirements I don't see why you shouldn't apply for 4 aspirational choices and 1 backup. Just ensure you like the backup and you are quite sure that you will get a place at the uni.

Also, you could try and find out what unis tend to be in clearing (assuming you didn't get any offers, I think by May) you could apply through clearing. I'm not sure but I think Surrey is in clearing.

And, if you have no offers by Jan/Feb I believe that there is a second round of applications, but you'll have to check on that one.

Hope this helps

Thank you for the advice. I'll talk about this with my careers adviser. UCAS is so stressful..:cry:
Thank you for the advice. I'll talk about this with my careers adviser. UCAS is so stressful..:cry:

You're welcome:smile:
Original post by Ak4753
If you're 100% sure you won't consider a gap year then have 2 safe (i mean safeeee) options. I prefer option B but bare in mind qm may give you a similar offer to the other schools (maybe 1 boundary less). they might take you with less (if you don't meet the offer), but it's not a particularly safe option.

Do you mean i might get an A*AA offer despite the entry requirements only being AAA?
Reply 10
Do you mean i might get an A*AA offer despite the entry requirements only being AAA?

No it means an aaa offer is what you're likely to get from qm and that (depending on ur a levels) is not a particularly safe option

why you only doing as fm and not the full a level?
Reply 12
It's my AS grade that concerns me more... LSE's website says weak gcse performance can be compensated by strong AS performance but i messed up and got a B and I've heard LSE puts a lot of emphasis on AS. My predictions aren't that strong as well considering I only have 3 alevels and don't even take further maths to Alevel. I guess my only option is to hope for the best. My personal statement is pretty strong I think (At least from the feedback I've received from teachers and friends)

What was the B in? Unfortunately they do tend to focus on AS results and will ask for UMS marks. I took maths, further maths and econ so having 3 a levels isn’t a problem, however yes LSE in particular prefer A2 further maths. If you’re set on LSE I’d maybe recommend self teaching fm or possibly swapping out biology.

Out of the others, Oxford is a super long shot with GCSEs like ours especially for a competitive course like E&M. QMUL, and Surrey in particular have very high offer rates and were both in clearing, meaning you’re practically guaranteed an offer with those GCSE’s and predictions. You’d have a decent shot at UCL and Warwick with a strong enough PS. So as for your original question I’d definitely go for 4 ambitious options and 1 back up. Keep in mind this is only my opinion of course.

Edit: Saw your actual GCSEs and they’re a lot higher than what I thought you had said originally. Most of the above still applies but I’d say Oxford is more attainable and you’ve got a very strong application for UCL/Warwick (know people with far worse grades who got offers). Finally I’d put more emphasis on applying to 4 top unis, in my opinion you don’t need to apply to both Surrey and QMUL with those grades.
(edited 5 years ago)
sorry i wish i could help but i am hear to ask u questions more hope u dont mind

i just started year 12 , my goal is to to economics in uni
i chose maths,fm,economics,psychology

how did u get As in economics and maths? how many hours revision do u do a day? any tips ?

i hope u get in, i actually think u can and heard some stories of not getting 100% entry requirements but still got in
Original post by Presence
sorry i wish i could help but i am hear to ask u questions more hope u dont mind

i just started year 12 , my goal is to to economics in uni
i chose maths,fm,economics,psychology

how did u get As in economics and maths? how many hours revision do u do a day? any tips ?

i hope u get in, i actually think u can and heard some stories of not getting 100% entry requirements but still got in

I do linear Alevels so I only did an AS in the subject I'm dropping. But if you're talking about my internals (which based my predicted grades) I would say for maths it's essential to do loads of past papers throughout the year and do all the mixed exercises again in Pure Maths + Stats and Mechanics before your exam.I didn't really revise off my notes in maths just practiced lots of questions and redid the questions I got wrong over and over again until I was sure I wouldn't get that question wrong again. It also helps a lot to memorise equations before the exam so you don't have to rely on the equation sheet.

For Economics, I made small notes on the side of the article for the exam (i.e. stats that I thought were important, any context I could link the passage with) I was given so I didn't waste time having to read out the text again and pick out important points. It's really important your chain of reasoning comes back to the question at the end or else you'll lose(not gain) additional marks i.e. cor + conclusion that explicitly answers the question. For Theme 2 remember to answer the long questions in the context of the UK (Examples of this is: Uk's high marginal propensity to consume, and UK's trade deficit) Timing is key for Economics. Don't rush through section 1 (multiple choice q.s) so you can move on to the essay questions! you'll lose easy marks.

NOTE: the 2 paragraphs above are for edexcel economics and edexcel maths. i don't know about other exam boards.

I can't really give you advice on how many hours of revision I did because:
1) i don't know how you revise
2) i didn't time myself
Best advice I can give is make sure you don't cram everything last minute.. AS doesn't work like GCSE. (reason why I got a B for my Computer Science AS)

I hope this helps! (btw i meet all the entry requirements just feel insecure about my previous exam results)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 15376
What was the B in? Unfortunately they do tend to focus on AS results and will ask for UMS marks. I took maths, further maths and econ so having 3 a levels isn’t a problem, however yes LSE in particular prefer A2 further maths. If you’re set on LSE I’d maybe recommend self teaching fm or possibly swapping out biology.

Out of the others, Oxford is a super long shot with GCSEs like ours especially for a competitive course like E&M. QMUL, and Surrey in particular have very high offer rates and were both in clearing, meaning you’re practically guaranteed an offer with those GCSE’s and predictions. You’d have a decent shot at UCL and Warwick with a strong enough PS. So as for your original question I’d definitely go for 4 ambitious options and 1 back up. Keep in mind this is only my opinion of course.

Edit: Saw your actual GCSEs and they’re a lot higher than what I thought you had said originally. Most of the above still applies but I’d say Oxford is more attainable and you’ve got a very strong application for UCL/Warwick (know people with far worse grades who got offers). Finally I’d put more emphasis on applying to 4 top unis, in my opinion you don’t need to apply to both Surrey and QMUL with those grades.

Thank you so much for all the advice! I feel so much better! TSR freaks me out..nearly everyone has all a*s and all As and it's making me feel really uneasy... My AS result was a B in computer science.

And congratulations on your offers! I hope to join you at LSE in a year's time. (If I get an offer...)
Original post by CraigBackner
why you only doing as fm and not the full a level?

I decided I wanted to further maths in the middle of y12 and my teacher said this was my only option (doing maths a2 at the same time as fm as)... but I plan to teach myself the full alevel after my exams so I can catch up but should i write this in my reference?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Thank you so much for all the advice! I feel so much better! TSR freaks me out..nearly everyone has all a*s and all As and it's making me feel really uneasy... My AS result was a B in computer science.

And congratulations on your offers! I hope to join you at LSE in a year's time. (If I get an offer...)

No problem and thank you. I can definitely sympathise I remember looking at everyone’s grades last year and thinking I didn’t stand a chance. Be prepared for stupid long wait times though especially with LSE - they took over 5 months to give me an offer. Good luck with your application and feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

You don't have to apply to all 5 unis at once. If you're worried about 4 aspirational choices, then apply to 2-3 of them initially and see whether you get offers or rejections. This will help you decide on your remaining choices. Note that Oxford will give you a decision before the January 15th deadline.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending