The Student Room Group

will i get into a russel group university with these gcse's?

Soooo I got 10a*'s (2 9s 5 8s and 3 a*s but I got a grade 5 in English language ( and an 8 in literature wtf) in my GCSEs. My main concern is will Russel group universities turn me down because of my English grade, even if I get good A levels? I was literally over the moon with the other grades and couldnt ask for more but my im worried my english grade will affect my uni.

My choice of A levels are maths bio chem and I hopefully want to do something like biochemistry or microbiology in the future at like UCL Imperial or Kings. Help me i'm rly worrying.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ravenreyes
So I got 10a*'s (2 9's 6 8's and 3 a*) but I got a grade 5 in English language ( and an 8 in literature wtf) in my GCSE's. My main concern is will Russel group universities turn me down because of my English grade, even if I get good A levels?

My choice of A levels are maths bio chem and I hopefully want to do something like biochemistry or microbiology in the future at like UCL Imperial or Kings. Help me im rlly worrying.

What did u get 2 9s in??? And 6 8s????
same i got a 5 in lang and 8 in lit as well. Hopefully they dont🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
I wish I had your worries LOL.
Reply 4
Original post by A level RPP
What did u get 2 9s in??? And 6 8s????

my grade 9's were in chemistry and physics, and my five 8's were in french, english lit,maths, biology & history (whoops that was a typo i got 5 grade 8s sorry xx) i did triple science btw.
Reply 5
Original post by OptimisticMedic
I wish I had your worries LOL.

looool please share your worries, im currenlty bricking it :smile:))))
So I got 10a*'s (2 9's 5 8's and 3 a*) but I got a grade 5 in English language ( and an 8 in literature wtf) in my GCSE's. My main concern is will Russel group universities turn me down because of my English grade, even if I get good A levels?

My choice of A levels are maths bio chem and I hopefully want to do something like biochemistry or microbiology in the future at like UCL Imperial or Kings. Help me im rlly worrying.

Yeah, you got amazing grades and most courses only ask for passes in english and maths at gcse, its your a levels that count the most
Reply 7
So I got 10a*'s (2 9's 5 8's and 3 a*) but I got a grade 5 in English language ( and an 8 in literature wtf) in my GCSE's. My main concern is will Russel group universities turn me down because of my English grade, even if I get good A levels?

A 5 is a C? If that meets the course requirement they'll let you apply. You can defs get into 10-20 but I can't guarantee 1-10. However, I do know someone with a C in lang at Cambridge.. bare in mind tho

those were IGCSE's, marginally harder (especially harder for lang)
Near perfect UMS in maths. Genius
he was an international app. that means something ($$)

Personally, I'd retake lang while at AS.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
don't comment then x
don't comment then x

I mean... he's right lmao :dots:
my brother got into Bristol (russel group) doing computer science and got an interview for Cambridge with a few Cs, a few Bs, and very few As/A*s. GCSE's don't really matter unless you don't get into the sixth form/college you want to go to. A-Levels really matter though- he got A*A*A and that's how he got in lol.

edit: he got 2 Cs in english aswell lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ronessi100
same i got a 5 in lang and 8 in lit as well. Hopefully they dont🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼
so weird man how is that even possible wth
Reply 12
looool please share your worries, im currenlty bricking it :smile:))))

So there's a few places where your mindset is wrong in this case.

1. The Russel Group isn't anything spectacular, it's more of a brand than anything else. Bath, Loughborough, St. Andrews, Lancaster, all these great unis (all top 10, St Andrews is often top 5, Bath and Loughborough have some of engineering departments in the country) don't feature in it. The majority of the Russel Group really isn't that prestigious and unreachable - apart from Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial, maybe Durham but I haven't checked, a large majority of applicants get offers. If your parents are obsessing over you getting into a "Russel Group university", tell them this.

2. I feel that you need reminding that your A-levels are what really matter. The only cases where your GCSEs are seriously looked at are when you're applying to medicine courses (because they're so competitive) and when you're applying to Oxford (Cambridge don't scrutinise your GCSEs as much). There are no GCSE requirements for most universities and most courses.

The reason an English language grade is sometimes specified is because the university wants to know that you can speak English well. Admissions officers aren't poorly-programmed robots and they'll be able to tell that you can.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ak4753
A 5 is a C? If that meets the course requirement they'll let you apply. You can defs get into 10-20 but I can't guarantee 1-10. However, I do know someone with a C in lang at Cambridge.. bare in mind tho

those were IGCSE's, marginally harder (especially harder for lang)
Near perfect UMS in maths. Genius
he was an international app. that means something ($$)

Personally, I'd retake lang while at AS.

ok thank you yeah i am debating to retake language a bit worried it will affect my alevels, im probably gonna email some unis and see- but thank you so much for your help :smile:
No. When applying, you can expect to receive a hefty £350 fine for wasting their time, and you may be barred from reapplying in the future. I would just retake the GCSE or manage your expectations - maybe a university in Bhutan or Somalia will accept you if you are willing to become the token european student.

All the best on your a-levels, though. I'm sure you'll have your handful presuming you don't have some extenuating circumstances explaining your poor results (ie, severe dyslexia or Crohn's disease)
If you meet the GCSE requirement then you're fine...

Universities care most about A-Level grades. I don't know why but people overstate the importance of GCSE grades when applying to university, they only really matter when applying to Oxbridge/Medicine and maybe some Engineering courses at Imperial. I know from experience that you don't need stellar grades GCSE grades (even AS grades) to get offers from RG universities, they aren't that difficult to get offers from. Making the offer is obviously a different story however.
Original post by ConfusedLemming
I mean... he's right lmao :dots:
Loooooollll im not bragging im genuinely so scared
i got a five in eng lang too! (wjec) and it seems like a lot of country did too tbh idk maybe that might sway the requirements
ucl specifically ask for a 6 in eng lang and i am also ina similar position to you, although i didn't get any a*s!
Original post by TajwarC
If you meet the GCSE requirement then you're fine...

Universities care most about A-Level grades. I don't know why but people overstate the importance of GCSE grades when applying to university, they only really matter when applying to Oxbridge/Medicine and maybe some Engineering courses at Imperial. I know from experience that you don't need stellar grades GCSE grades (even AS grades) to get offers from RG universities, they aren't that difficult to get offers from. Making the offer is obviously a different story however.

ok thank you soo much idk why they really hype GCSE's tbh like its really stupid and its a subject i don't really want to go into. Nah dont really want to apply to oxbridge or medicine i was looking at biochem tho at those three unis i stated. Hopefully it should be fine
Original post by thanoscar
No. When applying, you can expect to receive a hefty £350 fine for wasting their time, and you may be barred from reapplying in the future. I would just retake the GCSE or manage your expectations - maybe a university in Bhutan or Somalia will accept you if you are willing to become the token european student.

All the best on your a-levels, though. I'm sure you'll have your handful presuming you don't have some extenuating circumstances explaining your poor results (ie, severe dyslexia or Crohn's disease)

thank g I'll travel to Somalia and send you a postcard xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending