The Student Room Group
University of York
York

what do you do on your first day?

the day you move in i mean. do you just pick up your id card and then you have the rest of the day off? or how much time do you have for moving?
Original post by justwondering2
the day you move in i mean. do you just pick up your id card and then you have the rest of the day off? or how much time do you have for moving?

You'll have most of the day to do whatever you want - generally, move in/unpack/shop and meet your flatmates. Your college probably has some activities scheduled for the evening though. I was in Constantine in first year - at about 5pm we had a whole-college photo, then it was food from a food truck on site, a welcome talk at about 7pm, and then the rest of the evening was either free or optionally engaging with one of the activities (clubbing or the non-alcoholic event).

This will definitely vary depending on your college, but I can't imagine that they'll have anything scheduled for before 5pm.
University of York
York
doctorwhofan98 is correct, just thought I’d give another college example! I’m in Derwent and for my flat, our STYCs (second and third year contacts) took us all to the pub at 4, we then had a talk at 5 and then we had a dinner provided for us, although I believe this is only because I was catered anyway. Then we went back to the flat and played card games (with people drinking if they wanted) :smile:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
You'll have most of the day to do whatever you want - generally, move in/unpack/shop and meet your flatmates. Your college probably has some activities scheduled for the evening though. I was in Constantine in first year - at about 5pm we had a whole-college photo, then it was food from a food truck on site, a welcome talk at about 7pm, and then the rest of the evening was either free or optionally engaging with one of the activities (clubbing or the non-alcoholic event).

This will definitely vary depending on your college, but I can't imagine that they'll have anything scheduled for before 5pm.

Thanks! So basically I will have at least 3-4 hours to unpack and go to the stores before the activities?
Thanks! So basically I will have at least 3-4 hours to unpack and go to the stores before the activities?

Yeah, you'll have plenty of time. I really wouldn't worry about it - everyone's in the same position. If you end up having lots of unpacking you might end up doing some of it later on, but in my flat we all had plenty of time to get everything done.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Yeah, you'll have plenty of time. I really wouldn't worry about it - everyone's in the same position. If you end up having lots of unpacking you might end up doing some of it later on, but in my flat we all had plenty of time to get everything done.

Okay, good! Is there much stuff going on before that? Can you just get your key card and go unpack or do you have to sit through all kinds of introductions first...
If your going to spend the rest of your day off. You could try exploring the town and getting to know youe away the university.
Okay, good! Is there much stuff going on before that? Can you just get your key card and go unpack or do you have to sit through all kinds of introductions first...

Might vary by college, but I just collected my keycard (and got some free things like T-shirts), and then unpacked. There wasn't an initial introduction thing as everyone arrives at different times, throughout the day. The introduction talks won't be until the evening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending