The Student Room Group

How can I have predicted grades if I am homeschooled?

Hello,

I have been homeschooled for most of my life and I am now completing my A levels. I want to apply to university but I do not have a school to provide me with predicted grades for my A levels. Is there a different application system for homeschoolers? Can I just write the predicted grades myself?

Thank you
Original post by Hanul
Hello,

I have been homeschooled for most of my life and I am now completing my A levels. I want to apply to university but I do not have a school to provide me with predicted grades for my A levels. Is there a different application system for homeschoolers? Can I just write the predicted grades myself?

Thank you

No, of course there's not a 'different system' for homeschoolers.

No, of course you can't just 'write them yourself'. Would you, for instance, put a predicted outcome of CCD?

You need to ask someone familiar with your academic work over your A level course to comment on your suitability for the chosen university course, your progress so far and make a prediction on the grades you're going to get. Normally, that would be a tutor you have supporting your homeschooling. Do you have one of those? You're going to need to find someone similar to write your UCAS reference, so it might as well be the same person.

NB - there's little point encouraging him to predict you A*A*A* if you're not on target to achieve this, even if you're paying him.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hanul
Hello,

Thank you

Hi there, I'm homeschooled and sitting my a levels too! what a levels are you studying/ what do u want to study at uni? if that's an option. I got my predicted grades from a tutor but call ucas and/or the unis u want to apply to and ask them what to do. DO NOT write them urself because that might get u in trouble later on.
You have to state the institution you are studying at and who predicted those grades - you could even predict yourself DDD and they would take no notice as you have no right or authority to be predicting grades. They need predictions from experienced people. There is a reason schools don't just predict everyone AAA it devalues their predictions and universities will just favour schools with more accurate predictions and give their students offers first.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
No, of course there's not a 'different system' for homeschoolers.

No, of course you can't just 'write them yourself'. Would you, for instance, put a predicted outcome of CCD?

You need to ask someone familiar with your academic work over your A level course to comment on your suitability for the chosen university course, your progress so far and make a prediction on the grades you're going to get. Normally, that would be a tutor you have supporting your homeschooling. Do you have one of those? You're going to need to find someone similar to write your UCAS reference, so it might as well be the same person.

NB - there's little point encouraging him to predict you A*A*A* if you're not on target to achieve this, even if you're paying him.

Thanks for your response. I do have a tutor, however only for one subject so they cannot predict what I might achieve for there others. Besides that tutor, I have no one else who is familiar with my work or is in the position to provide predicted grades. I asked if I could 'write them myself' because, surprisingly enough, a professor at one of the universities I want to apply to has suggested I do so. So I really don't know what I can do.
Original post by Hanul
Thanks for your response. I do have a tutor, however only for one subject so they cannot predict what I might achieve for there others. Besides that tutor, I have no one else who is familiar with my work or is in the position to provide predicted grades. I asked if I could 'write them myself' because, surprisingly enough, a professor at one of the universities I want to apply to has suggested I do so. So I really don't know what I can do.

Interesting viewpoint from that 'professor'.

Try speaking to the tutor and see what he can do. He might be only willing to predict for one subject, and you'd have to speak to the universities you're interested in and explain the situation for the other two subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by a.g.2000
Hi there, I'm homeschooled and sitting my a levels too! what a levels are you studying/ what do u want to study at uni? if that's an option. I got my predicted grades from a tutor but call ucas and/or the unis u want to apply to and ask them what to do. DO NOT write them urself because that might get u in trouble later on.

Hello and thanks for your response. I am studying for English Language, English Literature and Italian. I want to study English language and literature at Oxford. I have called the university and I have even talked with their professors (one of whom told me to write my predicted grades myself!) however they couldn't give me much help. I will call UCAS though, thanks, I think they should have a solution.
Original post by Hanul

I advise you to get in touch with Education Otherwise and they will be able to advise you.
Reply 8
Original post by Hanul
Hello and thanks for your response. I am studying for English Language, English Literature and Italian. I want to study English language and literature at Oxford. I have called the university and I have even talked with their professors (one of whom told me to write my predicted grades myself!) however they couldn't give me much help. I will call UCAS though, thanks, I think they should have a solution.

that's really good! I'm studying psychology chemistry, biology and Persian language. I want to study medicine and for that, they told me I have to obtain predicted grades from an educational professional or wait and apply when I have my actual grades. I self-studied my igcses and now self-studying a levels. my predicted grades are A*AAA I wish you all the best with your application and studies. :h:
Original post by Seamus123
I advise you to get in touch with Education Otherwise and they will be able to advise you.

Yes, what a good idea!
Reply 10
Original post by a.g.2000
that's really good! I'm studying psychology chemistry, biology and Persian language. I want to study medicine and for that, they told me I have to obtain predicted grades from an educational professional or wait and apply when I have my actual grades. I self-studied my igcses and now self-studying a levels. my predicted grades are A*AAA I wish you all the best with your application and studies. :h:

Thank you so much!
Reply 11
Original post by Hanul
Hello,

Thank you

Hi, I am currently in the same position as you were 5 years ago. What exactly did you end up doing? Also, do you remember what you did for a teacher reference?

Latest

Trending

Trending