The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2018-19

This is a thread for anyone doing Modern Studies at Higher level this year.

Scroll to see replies

Hey.
Reply 2
Original post by fucthesqa
Hey.

Hey, how are you?
Not bad wbu
Reply 4
Original post by fucthesqa
Not bad wbu

I’m good, thanks for asking. I’m finding Modern Studies ok but now that it has changed from last year, there’s a lot more essays to write and it can be very annoying. I’m just gonna have to figure out a time plan for it. Except for the essays, I enjoy learning about the course content. :smile:
Reply 5
Hello! I am doing a crash higher in modern studies this year and I'm finding it okay so far but I don't think that'll last long ahaha
Reply 6
Original post by Lucyy26
Hello! I am doing a crash higher in modern studies this year and I'm finding it okay so far but I don't think that'll last long ahaha

Hi there, welcome to the thread! I understand your situation as I have crashed a Higher last year in Business Management and currently crashing Higher Admin. I did N5 Modern Studies two years ago and got a B so it kinda feels like I’m crashing Higher Modern Studies haha.

I’m also finding Modern Studies ok so far but I’m not looking forward to writing all of the essays eventually in the exam! (although I enjoy learning about the course itself)
Reply 7
What topic are you currently doing? We are doing democracy in Scotland which is quite interesting. Our class went to the Scottish parliament last Thursday to watch First Ministers Questions!

Yeah I’m not looking forward to the essays either! I have one due for Monday and I’m not sure what I’m doing
Reply 8
Original post by Lucyy26
What topic are you currently doing? We are doing democracy in Scotland which is quite interesting. Our class went to the Scottish parliament last Thursday to watch First Ministers Questions!

Yeah I’m not looking forward to the essays either! I have one due for Monday and I’m not sure what I’m doing

I’m currently doing Democracy in Scotland twice a week and Social Issues in the UK once a week in class as I have Modern Studies three times a week. At my school, we don’t often get school trips. (for example, to the Scottish Parliament which sounds really interesting!)

I don’t think I’ll know what I’m doing completely until my teacher goes over the different types of questions in the exam. Here’s hoping that we both do well for writing essays! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Piplup7
I’m currently doing Democracy in Scotland twice a week and Social Issues in the UK once a week in class as I have Modern Studies three times a week. At my school, we don’t often get school trips. (for example, to the Scottish Parliament which sounds really interesting!)

I don’t think I’ll know what I’m doing completely until my teacher goes over the different types of questions in the exam. Here’s hoping that we both do well for writing essays! :smile:

I don't think we are doing social issues and we are doing crime and the law instead. We don't usually go on trips eother but because the parliament is so close to our school our teacher thought it would be a good experience.
Yes my teacher hasn't gone over how to answer the types of questions yet but has given us essay homework so I'm a bit confused but I hope she will go over all the types of essays that can be asked soon! Fingers crossed we both succeed!! :smile:
Reply 10
I am also crashing Higher Modern Studies. Struggling quite a bit with the essays getting 9/20 :s-smilie:
Any advice on how to raise my marks?
Original post by meson
I am also crashing Higher Modern Studies. Struggling quite a bit with the essays getting 9/20 :s-smilie:
Any advice on how to raise my marks?

Hello, welcome to the thread! Unfortunately I need advice too as I don't understand how to write the essays properly!
What topic are you currently doing?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Lucyy26
Hello, welcome to the thread! Unfortunately I need advice too as I don't understand how to write the essays properly either. Our class have written 4 essays in total but our teacher has only marked 1 each so I have no idea if I'm doing it right!
What topic are you currently doing?

We have just finished Democracy in Scotland and the Uk (voting influences, electorate systems, and effectiveness of parliaments in holding the government to account)
At the moment on Crime

Same we have only have had one essay back
What about you what topics are you on?
Original post by meson
We have just finished Democracy in Scotland and the Uk (voting influences, electorate systems, and effectiveness of parliaments in holding the government to account)
At the moment on Crime

Same we have only have had one essay back
What about you what topics are you on?

We are finishing Democracy in Scotland next week and then we are moving onto crime and the law after the October holidays. Then after crime, we are doing terrorism which I think will be interesting as I found DiS really boring.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Lucyy26
We are finishing Democracy in Scotland next week and then we are moving onto crime and the law after the October holidays. Then after crime, we are doing terrorism which I think will be interesting as I found DiS really boring.
It's rubbish, isn't it? Our teacher keeps giving us essays to write but hardly any of us know if we are doing them right because we have had little feedback :frown:

I know right! All I get is ‘expand more’ I don’t know how to expand more!:angry: There’s only so much you can write about a voting influence
Needing a little help with higher modern studies! last year i got an A in N5 modies, but am struggling a notch with the higher course :/ I'm noticing that there are loads of different ways the essay questions can be worded i.e: discuss, analyse, evaluate, to what extent etc. Can someone please explain the difference between these, and how you would go about answering them? Thanks would be much appreciated!
Original post by Brooke6468
Needing a little help with higher modern studies! last year i got an A in N5 modies, but am struggling a notch with the higher course :/ I'm noticing that there are loads of different ways the essay questions can be worded i.e: discuss, analyse, evaluate, to what extent etc. Can someone please explain the difference between these, and how you would go about answering them? Thanks would be much appreciated!

I would help if I could however we've not been over all the different types of questiosn either :frown:
How is everyone finding the AVU for this year? Deadline for first draft was yesterday and i'm struggling on my topic of the gender pay gap and what can be done about it. I have 3 solutions - 1) More affordable childcare so women can work more. 2) 50/50 gender split per profession/recruitment targets (I know this isn't a good solution but don't know what else to include) Should be fine. 3) ? Maybe equal paternity leave for men and women.

My focus was to think what can be done about inequality so that we can close the gap. However, I know the pay gap is largely due to differences in men and women. I'm focusing on the same job and same hours worked (full time) and what can be done to close the gap. The problem is, I don't think there is a significant pay gap but my teacher thinks otherwise. I'm trying to also focus on differences and stereotypes which allow men to earn more, and women less. I'm just frustrated is all, and now can't get ahead with my assignment. Any suggestions? I really really need help if anyone else is doing this topic please help lol.

edit: In short, i'm having trouble identifying what is due to discrimination and what can be done about it
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by CheeseStudy123
How is everyone finding the AVU for this year? Deadline for first draft was yesterday and i'm struggling on my topic of the gender pay gap and what can be done about it. I have 3 solutions - 1) More affordable childcare so women can work more. 2) 50/50 gender split per profession/recruitment targets (I know this isn't a good solution but don't know what else to include) Should be fine. 3) ? Maybe equal paternity leave for men and women.

My focus was to think what can be done about inequality so that we can close the gap. However, I know the pay gap is largely due to differences in men and women. I'm focusing on the same job and same hours worked (full time) and what can be done to close the gap. The problem is, I don't think there is a significant pay gap but my teacher thinks otherwise. I'm trying to also focus on differences and stereotypes which allow men to earn more, and women less. I'm just frustrated is all, and now can't get ahead with my assignment. Any suggestions? I really really need help if anyone else is doing this topic please help lol.

edit: In short, i'm having trouble identifying what is due to discrimination and what can be done about it

We’ve not even started ours, our teacher han’t even mentioned it🙄
This Modern Studies course is stressing me out tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending