The Student Room Group

Shadow's Impossible Seeming Journey To A*AA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Glad to hear the first couple days of Year 13 went well! Hope you get that maths grade prediction you want too! :smile:

:colone: I feel like I've started a trend here :lol:

Thanks!:hugs:
Haha you have, the gradient thing looks so cool(and I wouldn't know how to do it without you) :grin:
15/09/18 Week 2 [Update #2]

Personal Statement (Thursday 13th)
Throughout year 12 I made a list of the things I'd done (both relevant to Comp Sci and not relevant like D of E), and also bullet pointed the skills I'd gained from each of those things (I found this really really helpful when starting to write my personal statement so if you're in year 12 atm I'd really recommend doing the same). I started writing my personal statement a few weeks into the summer holidays but I literally had no idea how to start so I watched videos and stuff on YouTube and most people said just write everything you think is relevant and then it's easier to cut down from that. So I did that and ended up with like 3 pages of writing (making that list into coherent sentences basically). I kinda gave up after that cos I was kinda intimidated by having to cut it down. On Thursday I decided to go to my form tutor to get her advice on what to cut out and stuff. I felt like it was the best decision I'd ever made cos she went though it with me and managed to make what I'd said in like a paragraph into 1 sentence that was just as effective. And told me which bits are irrelevant and which I should definitely keep. I felt so bad cos I took up most of her lunchtime but I also felt so relieved at my personal statement no longer being insanely long. I need to type up that edited version after posting this :redface: (which is probably going to be a difficult task cos it's lots of scribbles and tiny notes crammed into the sides of what to change)

Maths Test (Friday 14th)
All this week in my frees I went to the Library and did Maths questions as revision for the test. I feel like it mostly paid off but there were a few questions on proofs (one of my really weak areas) and I just could not do them at all. The good thing is the teacher said the rest is really hard before even giving out the test papers and after the test everyone I talked to had struggled in similar areas so I'm hoping that would mean the grade boundaries will be lenient. I'm confident that all the questions I did manage to complete is probably correct. (Apart from stupid mistakes here and there which I've hopefully avoided :crossedf: :argh:).

Summary & Accomplishments
The week went pretty smoothly overall and I feel like I was quite productive and actually didn't procrastinate much. :h: In Maths we did revision for the test and the test itself with 1 Maths teacher and started Differentiation with the other Maths teacher. It's not too complicated so far and I'm understanding the teacher quite well so it's going ok. Biology on the the hand is going so fast I can't even process what's going on. At the weekend I'm going to focus on getting the notes done (which I didn't do as I was revising for the Maths test) so I can begin to understand everything. I've also been thinking about narrowing down my list of unis to just 5, which is proving to be a very difficult task as everyone also seems to have different contradicting advice.
- Do all my homework the day it's set
- Use free's productively
- Finish notes for each Biology lesson on the same day
- Practice maths questions
- Work on Computer Science coursework
- Work on my Personal Statement and produce the 2nd draft ~
✘Not at all ■A little ~Mostly/Nearly ✔Fully Completed

Tag List
Thanks for reading! :hugs:If you don't want to be tagged/want to be tagged just say. I'm also happy to follow anyone else's GYG's.

Click here

oof, we just did proofs in maths:rip::lol:
Original post by Shadowdraconis

Throughout year 12 I made a list of the things I'd done (both relevant to Comp Sci and not relevant like D of E), and also bullet pointed the skills I'd gained from each of those things (I found this really really helpful when starting to write my personal statement so if you're in year 12 atm I'd really recommend doing the same). I started writing my personal statement a few weeks into the summer holidays but I literally had no idea how to start so I watched videos and stuff on YouTube and most people said just write everything you think is relevant and then it's easier to cut down from that. So I did that and ended up with like 3 pages of writing (making that list into coherent sentences basically). I kinda gave up after that cos I was kinda intimidated by having to cut it down. On Thursday I decided to go to my form tutor to get her advice on what to cut out and stuff. I felt like it was the best decision I'd ever made cos she went though it with me and managed to make what I'd said in like a paragraph into 1 sentence that was just as effective. And told me which bits are irrelevant and which I should definitely keep. I felt so bad cos I took up most of her lunchtime but I also felt so relieved at my personal statement no longer being insanely long. I need to type up that edited version after posting this :redface: (which is probably going to be a difficult task cos it's lots of scribbles and tiny notes crammed into the sides of what to change)

Maths Test (Friday 14th)
All this week in my frees I went to the Library and did Maths questions as revision for the test. I feel like it mostly paid off but there were a few questions on proofs (one of my really weak areas) and I just could not do them at all. The good thing is the teacher said the rest is really hard before even giving out the test papers and after the test everyone I talked to had struggled in similar areas so I'm hoping that would mean the grade boundaries will be lenient. I'm confident that all the questions I did manage to complete is probably correct. (Apart from stupid mistakes here and there which I've hopefully avoided :crossedf: :argh:).

The week went pretty smoothly overall and I feel like I was quite productive and actually didn't procrastinate much. :h: In Maths we did revision for the test and the test itself with 1 Maths teacher and started Differentiation with the other Maths teacher. It's not too complicated so far and I'm understanding the teacher quite well so it's going ok. Biology on the the hand is going so fast I can't even process what's going on. At the weekend I'm going to focus on getting the notes done (which I didn't do as I was revising for the Maths test) so I can begin to understand everything. I've also been thinking about narrowing down my list of unis to just 5, which is proving to be a very difficult task as everyone also seems to have different contradicting advice.

Hey, please could you un-tag me? I'll follow at my own pace, trying to cut down my procrastinating/TSR usage and tags don't help, haha. Best of luck for y13! As you know, if you have any Qs then PM me :smile:
Glad your week went well :hugs:
Differentiation!! :gah:
Yay for your personal statement! :woo:

Maths Test (Friday 14th)

Tag List
Thanks for reading! :hugs:If you don't want to be tagged/want to be tagged just say. I'm also happy to follow anyone else's GYG's.

Click here

Those gradients. :heart: I'll definitely start writing down things that I could put on my PS. That sounds like a great idea. What kind of things do you advise doing that I could put on my PS? Reading books around the topic? I cant think of anything else. :tongue: Same, I relate about struggling with proof questions and making stupid mistakes. :five: Stupid mistakes probably cost me that 9 in maths. :argh: Well done for completing so many tasks! :woo: :hugs:
Original post by plklupu
Hey, please could you un-tag me? I'll follow at my own pace, trying to cut down my procrastinating/TSR usage and tags don't help, haha. Best of luck for y13! As you know, if you have any Qs then PM me :smile:

Sure thing! Haha fair enough, I definitely understand, TSR is surprisingly addictive. Thank you!! :hugs: Good luck for uni! When does Durham start (or has it started already?). After starting your course, if you have time, let me know how it's going! I'm considering Durham as one of my uni choices, but I still need to narrow things down so any incite would be great.
Original post by nyxnko_
Glad your week went well :hugs:
Differentiation!! :gah:
Yay for your personal statement! :woo:

Thank you! :h:
I love your excitement for differentiation :laugh:

Original post by MaizieAmyr
Those gradients. :heart: I'll definitely start writing down things that I could put on my PS. That sounds like a great idea. What kind of things do you advise doing that I could put on my PS? Reading books around the topic? I cant think of anything else. :tongue: Same, I relate about struggling with proof questions and making stupid mistakes. :five: Stupid mistakes probably cost me that 9 in maths. :argh: Well done for completing so many tasks! :woo: :hugs:

Things like subject taster courses and work experience are really useful as they are directly related to your subject (and that's what your PS should contain more of) and it also shows your enthusiasm for the subject which is always good. Yeah reading around the subject is also a good thing to mention. Hope this helps :tongue:.
At least the good thing about stupid mistakes is that you know you can do it so it's not like an understanding/hard thing you have to work on. Thanks!! I kinda completely neglected some tasks tho :redface:
Sure thing! Haha fair enough, I definitely understand, TSR is surprisingly addictive. Thank you!! :hugs: Good luck for uni! When does Durham start (or has it started already?). After starting your course, if you have time, let me know how it's going! I'm considering Durham as one of my uni choices, but I still need to narrow things down so any incite would be great.

Thanks! Durham starts Sunday 30th - there's an open day this Friday/Saturday, if you're free! If I forget to let you know how it's going, drop me a message to jog my memory :wink:
Tbh reducing my uni list has literally been done by visiting them :colondollar: But write down your priorities and go through and find out which unis have them and which don't and hopefully that will cut out a fair few.
I've visited a fair few of your list so although obviously I can't comment on computing, I can talk about my thoughts on the uni as a whole if you like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! :h:
I love your excitement for differentiation :laugh:

:hugs:
That's because differentiation is relatively straightforward compared to other aspects of maths :tongue: (I'm allowed to be excited for differentiation :eviltongue:)
Original post by plklupu
Thanks! Durham starts Sunday 30th - there's an open day this Friday/Saturday, if you're free! If I forget to let you know how it's going, drop me a message to jog my memory :wink:

Ohh ok nice, so you've got a few days of holiday left. My friend is going to the one today (for languages), but I couldn't go unfortunately :frown:. Thanks!!

Original post by Lemur14
Tbh reducing my uni list has literally been done by visiting them :colondollar: But write down your priorities and go through and find out which unis have them and which don't and hopefully that will cut out a fair few.
I've visited a fair few of your list so although obviously I can't comment on computing, I can talk about my thoughts on the uni as a whole if you like?
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good idea! I'll try that.
Yes please, comments about the uni as a whole would be amazing! :biggrin:

Original post by nyxnko_
:hugs:
That's because differentiation is relatively straightforward compared to other aspects of maths :tongue: (I'm allowed to be excited for differentiation :eviltongue:)

That's very true, I'm actually beginning to really like differentiation because of that very reason. :laugh:
22/09/18 Week 3 [Update #3]

Biology PAG
We had the Biology PAG which was to investigate the "Effect of Auxin concentration of the growth of coleoptiles" so I had to come into the Biology labs every day in order to measure the degrees by which our coleoptile had grown towards the light. Let's just say the experiment was very flawed so no one got realistic results. But that was actually really good because in the evaluation of the experiment I managed to write a lot because I could comment on what went wrong, why and how to improve it. I actually really like doing PAGs because they're so relaxed unlike the science controlled assessments we had at GCSE, because we can talk and ask the teacher stuff if we weren't sure.

This week didn't go too badly, still haven't got our results back for that Maths test because we have another one on Chapter 14 on the 1st of October and the teachers are going to give them both back at the same time. Differentiation with the other Maths teacher is going really well and I understand everything so far which is good. :biggrin: For Computer Science we did more logic gates stuff and simplifying Boolean algebra, which made no sense at first but now that I understand it I'm really hoping it's going to be featured heavily in the exam cos that would be easy marks in the bag. I'm beginning to understand why people say Computer Science is very mathematical now, Maths knowledge is really helpful when trying to understand most of the logic based areas of Computer Science.
- Do all my homework the day it's set ~
- Finish notes for each Biology lesson on the same day ~
- Work on my Personal Statement and produce the 2nd draft (It's now less than 7000 characters when before it was over 11000 characters! Still like double the size it's meant to be but personally I'm definitely finding it easier to switch up my wording so it's less characters rather than ramble to fill up characters like some of my friends are doing)

Tag List
Thanks for reading! :hugs:Hope you've all had a great week!
If you don't want to be tagged/want to be tagged just say. I'm also happy to follow anyone else's GYG's.

Click here

That's a good idea! I'll try that.
Yes please, comments about the uni as a whole would be amazing! :biggrin:

Anything in particular you want to know?
Glad differentiation is making sense, hope it does the same for me in a few weeks :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very true, I'm actually beginning to really like differentiation because of that very reason. :laugh:

:woo: Another differentiation fan!!

Well done for using your frees productively!! :yay: I can't say the same for myself... :emo:
well done on being productive:woo:
Original post by Lemur14
Anything in particular you want to know?
Glad differentiation is making sense, hope it does the same for me in a few weeks :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess, the atmosphere of the uni itself (thats pretty vague ik, sorry!)

Thanks! Hope differenciation went well for you too! :h:
Original post by nyxnko_
:woo: Another differentiation fan!!

Well done for using your frees productively!! :yay: I can't say the same for myself... :emo:

Original post by entertainmyfaith
well done on being productive:woo:

Thanks guys!
06/10/18 Week 5 [Update #4]

Volunteering (Thu 27th and Thu 4th)
My school has given every year 13, 2 free's on a thursday afternoon, where we have to voulenteer for 2 hours. I'm voulenteering at my local library, mostly because they have a scheme where people (mostly old people) can go to get help on using devices like computers to send emails and stuff. So far I'm only helping out in the main library, so doing mostly shelving and sorting books for recycling and stuff, but my supervisor says in a few weeks I an help out with the computers, so that I can get a varied experiance. I thought it might be a little boring as I voulenteered a few years ago for Bronze D of E, but I'm acctually liking it a lot more this time, because I'm not just limited to shelving and finding reserved books. :h:

2nd Maths Test (Mon 1st)
I felt more prepared for this than the last test so I feel like it didnt go too badly. Before the test my teacher put up the question numbers that should be easy, and the ones that should be hard... I managed to do most of the hard ones but some of the easy ones I was so stumped. It wasn't even the maths that stumped me, it was the wording of the question. :confused: I didn't even understand what the question was asking me for, let alone work it out. I had a free before the test so I was just doing random questions from the chapter assesment in the text book, and in the last few minuites of my free I saw this 1 question that seemed quite hard so I just left it. And guess what, that exact question was in the test :facepalm: (one of the harder questions that the teacher mentioned), I felt like such an idiot that I hadn't at least looked at how to do it in the textbook. I did manage to work out like half of how to do it, but then I got stuck so I'm hoping for some marks at least.

So sorry for not posting an update last week, I was really ill. And also sorry for the aweful spelling, for some reson the new TSR update doesnt squiggley line the typos and spelling errors. I kinda like the new TSR update but I also prefer the old one. Also is there no way to convert to BBCode anymore? I tried to find it for ages then gave up. These 2 weeks haven't been very eventful, but I'm glad the 2 maths tests are done and dusted, just hoping those results I get will be good enough to push my predicted grade up :crossedf:. The results of them should be given next week so hopefully my next update will be a happy one. :afraid: For Computer Science, there's a new teacher to the school who comes into our Tuesday lesson and helps us with the controlled assesment programming (cos no one in our class has ever done any programmng language except Python). She's really good at programmig in Java as well as teaching. Last week she gave us guidence sorta on how to make a title screen, so I used it to make my title screen. I acctually have hope of finishing the controlled assesment now, cos before I was going to rely on the internet and youtube, which significantly limited what I could do.
- Do all my homework the day it's set ~
- Use free's productively ~
- Work on my Personal Statement and produce the 2nd draft

Tag List
Thanks for reading! :hugs: Hope you've all had a great week!
If you don't want to be tagged/want to be tagged just say. I'm also happy to follow anyone else's GYG's.

Click here

Reply 79
x

Haven't been able to read the previous updates but glad to hear you're doing well despite being unwell. I'm very jealous that you get some time to still do extracurricular activities because this year we don't have that opportunity to let off some steam and de-stress. We consistently get told how we must always use our frees as productively as possible - obviously not burn yourself out but it seems that way sometimes. :frown:

I'm also in a position where my personal statement needs work and this will be my 4th draft :redface: Btw, where are you hoping to apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending