The Student Room Group

Do you say 'high' school or 'secondary' school?

I've always said high school (and everyone I grew up with) but it was only after starting uni that I realised alot of people say secondary school.

I grew up in NW London btw
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Our school had 'high' in the name so I tend to that. I do use both, though.
Reply 2
I tend to say secondary school, but my brother's school had "high" in its name so I use high school occasionally.
Secondary for majority of the schools in the UK. High school for USA and probably rest of the world.
Original post by TurboZX453
Secondary for majority of the schools in the UK. High school for USA and probably rest of the world.

im from the UK (london) and I literally thought everyone said high school until I started uni
Original post by Secretnerd123
im from the UK (london) and I literally thought everyone said high school until I started uni

I have yet to experience that, but I’m from London too (high five) and applying to the US for universities. However, secondary sounds nice don’t you think?

P.S how’s uni btw?
Reply 6
Mostly people in uk says secondary school but for some countries they say high school
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7

Me too. Every school in the immediate vicinity to me (5) has 'high' in the name, oddly.
Original post by TurboZX453
I have yet to experience that, but I’m from London too (high five) and applying to the US for universities. However, secondary sounds nice don’t you think?

P.S how’s uni btw?

yay.
I guess secondary sounds more posh lol

I graduated and im doing tecaher training now :smile: what made you want to apply to unis in the states?
Reply 9

There's both in London. Only some are called High School. I'm used to saying secondary school, also the adoption of Americanisms is a pet hate of mine.
It depends on the school - a lot of post-primary schools aren't "secondary" schools or high schools. I just say "school"!
Secondary
I've always called it secondary school. I thought high school was American. Only since moving to the north for uni have I heard it called high school.
I say ''hell''
primary and secondary school not low and high school
Where I lived, it was always secondary school or comprehensive.

The high school was a private school up the road for the stupid kids (despite the 10k/year fees they still got worse A level results than the two local comps).
Original post by randonposter7484
primary and secondary school not low and high school

lol I really dont know who came up with high school
lol I really dont know who came up with high school

yep
Original post by Sulfolobus
Where I lived, it was always secondary school or comprehensive.

The high school was a private school up the road for the stupid kids (despite the 10k/year fees they still got worse A level results than the two local comps).

damn looool is that scotland?
Secondary school. Never called it high school.

Quick Reply

Latest