The Student Room Group

Should I resit my A levels to get a high paid finance job?

I got BBC at A level and am currently on course to start at a good RG uni, I want to work in finance/accounting so was wondering whether it is worth me resitting my A levels? How much of a hindrance would they be on me getting a high paid job in the financial sector?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some firms (few for ib, like i think citi) say they want first sits. However, if u resit and go somewhere crazy (meaning not just do better, SMASH) then it would show that u didn't meet ur potential.

Few things to consider when resitting for these kind of jobs:

1) you need to merk. not meet requirements, merk. If there's a chance for whatever reason you won't, don't do it. If you get a similar score after a retake, the firms will wonder about ur abilities so idk. Look at ur academic record (as, gcse) and predicteds. Was the result a shock? Did u see urself doing way better? if so retake. defs.

2) if u had extenuating circs, you may not entirely need to merk. But do better and include those circs. Seeing as you're retaking just to get a better job, I assume you didn't have any reported to ur doc or school. So u might be disadvantaged there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ak4753
Some firms (few for ib, like i think citi) say they want first sits. However, if u resit and go somewhere crazy (meaning not just do better, SMASH) then it would show that u didn't meet ur potential.

Few things to consider when resitting for these kind of jobs:

1) you need to merk. not meet requirements, merk. If there's a chance for whatever reason you won't, don't do it. If you get a similar score after a retake, the firms will wonder about ur abilities so idk. Look at ur academic record (as, gcse) and predicteds. Was the result a shock? Did u see urself doing way better? if so retake. defs.

2) if u had extenuating circs, you may not entirely need to merk. But do better and include those circs. Seeing as you're retaking just to get a better job, I assume you didn't have any reported to ur doc or school. So u might be disadvantaged there.

I was predicted all A's but I do have on going health problems which haven't fully been diagnosed. I was wondering whether to get on with my degree and try to achieve a 1st or whether resitting my A levels and getting higher grades will help THAT much.
Reply 3
Original post by srt565
I was predicted all A's but I do have on going health problems which haven't fully been diagnosed. I was wondering whether to get on with my degree and try to achieve a 1st or whether resitting my A levels and getting higher grades will help THAT much.

HSBC won't let you apply with bbc. it's below (albeit just below) their requirement. They have some of the nicest requirements going. Food for thought

I'd say if you are not 100% sure you will murk them, just retake the C at least.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ak4753
HSBC won't let you apply with bbc. it's below (albeit just below) their requirement. They have some of the nicest requirements going. Food for thought

I'd say if you are not 100% sure you will murk them, just retake the C at least.

I have around 159 ucas point including AS etc
Reply 5
Original post by srt565
I have around 159 ucas point including AS etc

They want 300 (old system) UCAS points across top 3 a levels. I.e, BBB. I'm telling you this because I'm applying for IB spring weeks bro, it's literally one of the first check boxes.

If you had mitigating circs that your school/doc documented it wouldn't be an issue but it seems like u don't. So if you want to apply to the big banks for jobs outside ops as soon as u start at uni, I'd say up that C grade

Btw what school if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ak4753
They want 300 (old system) UCAS points across top 3 a levels. I.e, BBB. I'm telling you this because I'm applying for IB spring weeks bro, it's literally one of the first check boxes.

If you had mitigating circs that your school/doc documented it wouldn't be an issue but it seems like u don't. So if you want to apply to the big banks for jobs outside ops as soon as u start at uni, I'd say up that C grade

Btw what school if you don't mind me asking?

Do they even accept resits?
Reply 7
Original post by srt565
Do they even accept resits?

HSBC didn't say they don't so I assume it's "don't ask don't tell."

How would they know you did a resit when they don't ask for the date you did ur exams...

The fact remains that resits are pretty much your only shot of exceeding stage 1 from where i stand

What university, by the way?
If I am not mistaken there are certain financial institutions who are starting to remove the UCAS point filter
Original post by Ak4753
HSBC didn't say they don't so I assume it's "don't ask don't tell."

How would they know you did a resit when they don't ask for the date you did ur exams...

The fact remains that resits are pretty much your only shot of exceeding stage 1 from where i stand

What university, by the way?

It's a non-target RG
Original post by Zebra1234
If I am not mistaken there are certain financial institutions who are starting to remove the UCAS point filter

I want to know which institutions I wouldn't have a chance with
If you want to work at a big IB they won't accept the fact you resat anyway. My advice is find a small boutique accountancy of FS firm, get experience after graduating. Then most firms will only look at your experience and not A Levels.
Original post by srt565
I got BBC at A level and am currently on course to start at a good RG uni, I want to work in finance/accounting so was wondering whether it is worth me resitting my A levels? How much of a hindrance would they be on me getting a high paid job in the financial sector?

BBC at a 'good RG uni' is a contradiction in terms? Which university? You seem hesitant to specify, and it's difficult to help properly without knowing all the facts.
Original post by Reality Check
BBC at a 'good RG uni' is a contradiction in terms? Which university? You seem hesitant to specify, and it's difficult to help properly without knowing all the facts.

I apologize for describing it as 'good' but it is a non-target RG.
Original post by srt565

There is an expert on this... @Princepieman
Reply 15
Original post by MrMusician95
If you want to work at a big IB they won't accept the fact you resat anyway. My advice is find a small boutique accountancy of FS firm, get experience after graduating. Then most firms will only look at your experience and not A Levels.

I think they'd accept it if he had mitigating circumstances, but I don't think he does

Plus quite a few big ib firms don't seem to specify they are anti-resit (except maybe citi).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by srt565

Noone will be able to identify you from the school alone. You'd need to specify its name to receive help on that front.
Original post by Ak4753
I think they'd accept it if he had mitigating circumstances, but I don't think he does

Plus quite a few big ib firms don't seem to specify they are anti-resit (except maybe citi).

They won't specify but the amount of applications they get, they can be picky.
Reply 18
Original post by MrMusician95
They won't specify but the amount of applications they get, they can be picky.

I'm saying if the OP is smart about how he applies, assuming he can get waay better results (not necessarily what often happens after resits) he may be able to get away with not including his initial grades for the firms that don't specify it, seeing as they've not explicitly requested them.

All he'd need is to have exceeded those grades for firms like hsbc and macquarie.

However, his grades would need to be good enough to land him a target, many of which are resit adverse unless u had circs

But he'd need to destroy the exams and I haven't seen evidence that unusual circumstances hindered him.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ak4753
Noone will be able to identify you from the school alone. You'd need to specify its name to receive help on that front.

Whether it's Birmingham or Southampton or somewhere else makes no material difference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending