The Student Room Group

good economics uni choices??

predicted A*A*A, would applying to warwick, st andrews, bath, bristol and edinburgh be a good choice list?

want to study economics.
They're all good choices generally, and Warwick in particular have a strong Economics programme. Is there a reason you aren't considering LSE or Oxbridge (probably more Cambridge than Oxford, although some of the particular "formats" offered by the latter may be appealing to you) with those grades?
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
They're all good choices generally, and Warwick in particular have a strong Economics programme. Is there a reason you aren't considering LSE or Oxbridge (probably more Cambridge than Oxford, although some of the particular "formats" offered by the latter may be appealing to you) with those grades?

I dont really fancy living in london to be honest, and as for oxbridge i feel that it be quite unlikely i would get in, so i could use that slot for a uni i have higher chance of getting in?
Original post by willsharp777
I dont really fancy living in london to be honest, and as for oxbridge i feel that it be quite unlikely i would get in, so i could use that slot for a uni i have higher chance of getting in?

Don't think like that!
You have to be in it, to win it.

I was applying for economics stuff and put Oxford (E&M), LSE (Econ) and UCL (econ) and thought I would get 1 out of 3 but I ended up with 0 out of 3 offers. However, I got my last 2 offers so it was okay in the end, I guess.
predicted A*A*A, would applying to warwick, st andrews, bath, bristol and edinburgh be a good choice list?

want to study economics.

Are you aiming for Investment Banking (as the end goal)?
Reply 5
Original post by Grade A
Are you aiming for Investment Banking (as the end goal)?

thinking more of investment management but i havent decided for sure yet
thinking more of investment management but i havent decided for sure yet

Then you probably know about the target unis right? It's probably worth applying to another top uni like Warwick. Possibly UCL.
LSE is very competitive for economics; to be sure of a place you'd need minimum 3A* predictions due to the competition.

Why would you be unlikely to get in? Provided you have A-level Maths, you are predicted to meet the standard criteria for Cambridge and the usual standard offer from Oxford (from what I can tell anyway) in terms of A-levels. Oxford does consider GCSEs more heavily earlier in the process (in shortlisting for interview) so if these are a weakness then it may be better to focus on Cambridge, but the latter are generally less concerned about GCSEs and it sounds like you have a good chance of at least getting an interview there (and from there it's a lot more dependent on you and how the interview goes) if not an offer. If you have similarly good GCSEs then Oxford is just as much of a consideration as Cambridge (although as indicated before, Economics is normally done either in PPE, E&M, or History & Economics, so there are potentially slight variations in the cuorse compared to "straight" Economics courses, although E&M is fairly close to those as I've heard).

I can appreciate the perspectives on London though, living there is definitely not for everyone (I certainly could never see myself living there).
(edited 5 years ago)

want to study economics.

i would swap Bath and Edinburgh for Nottingham and Manchester/Leeds
Reply 9
Targets are pretty much, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick. Bath Nottingham Bristol and Durham are good choices as well. Insurances for you should be Birmingham Manchester that sort of jazz. PM me if you need more advice :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by CollectiveSoul
i would swap Bath and Edinburgh for Nottingham and Manchester/Leeds

why would that be?
Reply 11
Original post by jschohan
Targets are pretty much, Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick. Bath Nottingham Bristol and Durham are good choices as well. Insurances for you should be Birmingham Manchester that sort of jazz. PM me if you need more advice :smile:

do you rate edinburgh as a good insurance option?
Original post by pereira325
Don't think like that!
You have to be in it, to win it.

I was applying for economics stuff and put Oxford (E&M), LSE (Econ) and UCL (econ) and thought I would get 1 out of 3 but I ended up with 0 out of 3 offers. However, I got my last 2 offers so it was okay in the end, I guess.

Thats a particular issue for economics I'd say - lots of great candidates don't get offers from the top universities. I guess the only real comparable is medicine. OP - are you happy to take a year out if necessary? I've heard of people applying for 5 top universities and accepting that they might get no offers, or not fancy the offer that they get. Economics is just not the same as most other courses.
do you rate edinburgh as a good insurance option?
Edinburgh is great if you can handle being up north, but you've probably got other options right? Econ is similar to medicine if you're applying to lets say the 'targets,' they're all very competitive and hard to get but you only need one offer from the targets to be going to a great uni + a great course. I wouldn't recommend this, but I applied to four targets and one insurance choice with a good final outcome. If you spend time finding an insurance that you'll be happy to go to then apply to the best and see what happens, make sure your insurance is likely to be an offer (knock on wood) and then stretch yourself, you'll only regret it afterwards when you'll be asking yourself "what if?"
nottingham is good if you want a solid work hard play hard university experience
I have predicted ABB what unis should I apply to? Is there any good university for economics that will accept these predicted grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending