The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MahTank
How good is studying MBChB for international student in Newcastle University?
(Fees doesn’t matter)

If you're worried about the provenance of the degree, it's as good as any other UK medical degree.

Moved to Newcastle University
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by MahTank
How good is studying MBChB for international student in Newcastle University?
(Fees doesn’t matter)

Hi MahTank,

Medicine at Newcastle is consistently one of the most highly regarded medical degrees in the UK and we are currently ranked 5th in the UK by the Guardian University Guide. We are also a Russell Group founding member, which means we are research intensive and are one of only eight Russell Group universities to achieve TEF Gold Award for teaching excellence.

Our Medical School is a Regional Medical School and has partnerships with the Northern Region NHS. It gives you access to excellent clinical training opportunities offered by the large patient population (3.5 million) and the region-wide infrastructure of acute hospitals and general practices.

You can find out more about the course here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/sme/study/undergraduate/content/

We have a large international community here at Newcastle, you can watch a video about what our international students think about Newcastle here:
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/international/student-life/#arrivinginnewcastle

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions and good luck with whatever you decide!

Valentina
Reply 3
So after pursuing medicine there can I practice in U.K?
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi MahTank,

Medicine at Newcastle is consistently one of the most highly regarded medical degrees in the UK and we are currently ranked 5th in the UK by the Guardian University Guide. We are also a Russell Group founding member, which means we are research intensive and are one of only eight Russell Group universities to achieve TEF Gold Award for teaching excellence.

Our Medical School is a Regional Medical School and has partnerships with the Northern Region NHS. It gives you access to excellent clinical training opportunities offered by the large patient population (3.5 million) and the region-wide infrastructure of acute hospitals and general practices.

You can find out more about the course here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/sme/study/undergraduate/content/

We have a large international community here at Newcastle, you can watch a video about what our international students think about Newcastle here:
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/international/student-life/#arrivinginnewcastle

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions and good luck with whatever you decide!

Valentina

How does Newcastle University view applications from international students from Malaysia seeking to study Medicine in the UK? Does Newcastle University prefer Malaysian apply to NuMed (the Newcastle Medical Faculty Campus) in Malaysia instead?
Original post by MahTank
So after pursuing medicine there can I practice in U.K?

Hi MahTank

After completing your University degree you are eligible to apply for provisional registration with the GMC with a licence to practise, subject to demonstrating to the GMC that your fitness to practise is not impaired. However, the GMC are currently reviewing legislation and you should be aware this may be different in the future. Once you have successfully completed a year as an F1 doctor in a two-year Foundation Programme you should gain full registration. This is followed by a further year of generic training.

Valentina
Original post by chateau55
How does Newcastle University view applications from international students from Malaysia seeking to study Medicine in the UK? Does Newcastle University prefer Malaysian apply to NuMed (the Newcastle Medical Faculty Campus) in Malaysia instead?

Hi chateau55,

We absolutely welcome international students to apply to our Medical degree here at our Newcastle Campus :smile:

Valentina
Thank you for replying to my question! :smile:
Hi chateau55,

We absolutely welcome international students to apply to our Medical degree here at our Newcastle Campus :smile:

Valentina

I have another question. Will all the interviews for international students who are applying from abroad and shortlisted for interview be held in Newcastle?

I read somewhere there is an option of a Skype interview or face to face interview in Newcastle.
Original post by chateau55
I have another question. Will all the interviews for international students who are applying from abroad and shortlisted for interview be held in Newcastle?

I read somewhere there is an option of a Skype interview or face to face interview in Newcastle.

Hi chateau55

International applicants for the A100 programme will have a panel interview which can be via Skype or they can attend in person at Newcastle. Applicants for A101 will need to come to Newcastle and will only be able to have a MMI (multiple mini interview).

Hope this helps,

Valentina
Thank you. 👍
Reply 11
What scholarships are available for international undergraduate student for course A100?
Hi chateau55,

Valentina

Is it risky to apply to newcastle with a 2710 (677.5) avg in my ukcat despite this years final test statistics putting me in the 82nd percentile?
Original post by madememindup
Is it risky to apply to newcastle with a 2710 (677.5) avg in my ukcat despite this years final test statistics putting me in the 82nd percentile?

Hi madememindup,

Because the cuttoff scores change year on year it's very difficult to advise on this. Here's the previous cutoff scores for A100:

2011 - 2670
2012 - 2660
2013 - 2780
2014 - 2980
2015 - 2300
2016 - 2730
2017 - 2000
2018 - 2580

Based on this you can see that you would have been within the cutoff score several of these years so it's definitely worth applying if you want to study here.

Hope this helps,

Valentina
Original post by MahTank
What scholarships are available for international undergraduate student for course A100?

Hi MahTank,

We don't have any specific scholarships for Medicine - You can find out information about all of the scholarships we do have available on our website:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/international/

Valentina
Hi madememindup,

Because the cuttoff scores change year on year it's very difficult to advise on this. Here's the previous cutoff scores for A100:

2011 - 2670
2012 - 2660
2013 - 2780
2014 - 2980
2015 - 2300
2016 - 2730
2017 - 2000
2018 - 2580

Based on this you can see that you would have been within the cutoff score several of these years so it's definitely worth applying if you want to study here.

Hope this helps,

Valentina

Thank you for replying and all the help! I guess i’ll take the risk since I really do want to study at Newcastle!
Can anyone help me please. I know that if you qualify to take part in the PARTNERS programme at Newcastle they let you in with a reduced offer and are more lenient with ukcat scores. This is the main reason i applied as i knew my ukcat score was a little low for Newcastle. However recently ive been worried that they dont take the PARTNERS students into account pre interview, meaning i may not get an interview at all.

Does anyone have any information on how this works?? Thank you in advance.
Original post by Deon2000
Can anyone help me please. I know that if you qualify to take part in the PARTNERS programme at Newcastle they let you in with a reduced offer and are more lenient with ukcat scores. This is the main reason i applied as i knew my ukcat score was a little low for Newcastle. However recently ive been worried that they dont take the PARTNERS students into account pre interview, meaning i may not get an interview at all.

Does anyone have any information on how this works?? Thank you in advance.

Hi Deaon2000

If you have applied as a PARTNERS student then the admissions team will be aware of this and will be considering you as a PARTNERS applicant :smile: The admissions team do reserve the right to lower the UKCAT threshold although they don’t guarantee this or by how much it will be lowered. For example for 2018 entry the threshold for non-PARTNERS applicants was 2580 and for PARTNERS applicants it was 2530 - but there is no guarentee of this.

Hope this helps,

Valentina
Hello, i haven't yet received a rejection or an interview invitation. I was wondering when the last of these are going to be sent. Thank you in advance.
Original post by Deon2000
Hello, i haven't yet received a rejection or an interview invitation. I was wondering when the last of these are going to be sent. Thank you in advance.

Hi Deon2000,

Our admissions team release the interviews in batches, and the next batch will be in early January. If you don't hear back by mid-January, drop us a message and we'll follow it up for you :smile:

Hope this helps,

Susie

Latest

Trending

Trending