The Student Room Group

A-Level maths

I got a grade 7 at GCSE- I had to work really hard for it, I even had a tutor.
I'm thinking of switching to A-Level maths from English lit (got a 6 at GCSE but on mocks I had been getting 8's and 9's).
Is a grade 7 too low?
What kind of grade could it lead to at A-Level?

Many thanks
my school allows minimum of 7 for a level maths, 6 people in my class got a 7, and the other 2 got a 9. so a 7 is fine.
your gcse grade doesn't reflect a level at all, its like saying your sats grade leads to a certain grade in gcse, theyre so vastly different that it doesnt even matter anymore
A-level Maths are really easy. As being an A-level student I think GCSE was way more Harder than my current mathes P1 and M1. And Grade 7 is equivalent to C. So I think Don't change mathes to Eng-lit as Eng-lit is way more hard than Mathes.
Original post by LibertarianMP
I'm thinking of switching to A-Level maths from English lit (got a 6 at GCSE but on mocks I had been getting 8's and 9's).
Is a grade 7 too low?

Many thanks

One of my best decisions to drop that crappy English lit. I got a 6 in maths and i went from an U to a C and maybe a B/A hopefully.
Original post by Gent2324
my school allows minimum of 7 for a level maths, 6 people in my class got a 7, and the other 2 got a 9. so a 7 is fine.
your gcse grade doesn't reflect a level at all, its like saying your sats grade leads to a certain grade in gcse, theyre so vastly different that it doesnt even matter anymore

How would you say the grade 7 group are doing overall, did they find the jump massively overwhelming and do you know what kind of grades they're looking at to graduate with?
Is a grade 7 too low?

Many thanks

Tbh, if you didn’t get a high grade without working much then you will struggle. I got a 9 in maths without a tutor and all i did was revise the formulas and complete all past papers.
Is a grade 7 too low?

Many thanks

i got a 7 and got am predicted an A*, gcse result doesnt really matter its just about the work you put in with maths
How would you say the grade 7 group are doing overall, did they find the jump massively overwhelming and do you know what kind of grades they're looking at to graduate with?

youre ovethinking it man, im only year in 12 and we've had a few lessons where nothing is really that hard. you need to think about your attitude to maths now and your drive now, not what it was then you did your gcses. the jump will be the same for everyone unless youve studied a level before, people who get grade 9s at gcse know as much about binomial expansion as the people that got grade 7s, its all about your attitude to learning maths when you start year 12, it has nothing to do with how good you were in year 11.
no idea what grades they are looking at as we've only had 4-5 lessons
also even if they did get predicted grades, they still dont mean much into what you actually get. i took 10 gcses and only 1 of my predictions was correct...
Original post by ZsDeividas
Tbh, if you didn’t get a high grade without working much then you will struggle. I got a 9 in maths without a tutor and all i did was revise the formulas and complete all past papers.

thats not true at all, peoples work ethic and effort can change drastically over 2 years
thats not true at all, peoples work ethic and effort can change drastically over 2 years

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but people who do maths are usually the ones that find it easy. My friend went from getting 3s in foundation maths to getting A* in A-levels. So yeah it is possible but its more idea if you know what i mean..
Honestly, getting grades 8/9 at GCSE just mean that you're used to working hard for exams so you'll be likely to work this hard again for A-Levels.
I know a people that had 6 for maths at GCSE and ended up with and A at AS (max grade). It really is down to hard work and planning your time right, as this makes the difference between an A and a D at A-Level for people with similar GCSEs to you.
Original post by Grade A
Honestly, getting grades 8/9 at GCSE just mean that you're used to working hard for exams so you'll be likely to work this hard again for A-Levels.
I know a people that had 6 for maths at GCSE and ended up with and A at AS (max grade). It really is down to hard work and planning your time right, as this makes the difference between an A and a D at A-Level for people with similar GCSEs to you.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, but people who do maths are usually the ones that find it easy. My friend went from getting 3s in foundation maths to getting A* in A-levels. So yeah it is possible but its more idea if you know what i mean..

Original post by steveeem
i got a 7 and got am predicted an A*, gcse result doesnt really matter its just about the work you put in with maths

Thank you all for replying. I'll be speaking to the maths teachers more over this week to help me decide (I have until Friday) - I'll update this post with my decision!

Quick Reply

Latest