The Student Room Group

Grade 9s GCSE

Hey, I was wondering how much work those who achieved 9s in their exams did each day from Year11 onwards. Also have you always been working at a grade 8/9 level or did you improve a lot from your mocks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mariaxxsan
Hey, I was wondering how much work those who achieved 9s in their exams did each day from Year11 onwards. Also have you always been working at a grade 8/9 level or did you improve a lot from your mocks?

In my mocks i got majority 5s (i never revised for those mocks), after receiving my mocks i got worried and started revising hard. I had 3 months and i managed to go from majority 5s in all subjects to majority 8s. You can turn everything around, good luck:wink:
type of revision > amount of revision
Reply 3
Original post by ZsDeividas
In my mocks i got majority 5s (i never revised for those mocks), after receiving my mocks i got worried and started revising hard. I had 3 months and i managed to go from majority 5s in all subjects to majority 8s. You can turn everything around, good luck:wink:

Woah congrats! That's reassuring aha also did you find any specific type of revision that really worked for you?
Nooo, I was constantly on fives too.I began hard core revising around 2 months before but I HIGHLY recommend that you start revising slowly definitely from December.This will ease your work load.For Science, print out the specification and watch Free science lessons on youtube whilst taking notes.Then do practise questions on the topics you just learnt.Practise makes perfect and Trust me, start revising early!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got four 9s, three 8s and two 7s.
YOU CAN DO IT :biggrin:
Woah congrats! That's reassuring aha also did you find any specific type of revision that really worked for you?

Well i used different types of revision for each subjects. I liked using flashcards for a lot of the subjects like English, history and PE. For maths it’s all past papers and practice questions. For computer science it was harder because nothing seemed to work, i ended up using linking key words for it to everyday things you see which helped me get back the thought of what it means (which worked).
Remembers everyone is different so some revision techniques might work for some and for some not.
Reply 7
Original post by SilverLipa
Nooo, I was constantly on fives too.I began hard core revising around 2 months before but I HIGHLY recommend that you start revising slowly definitely from December.This will ease your work load.For Science, print out the specification and watch Free science lessons on youtube whilst taking notes.Then do practise questions on the topics you just learnt.Practise makes perfect and Trust me, start revising early!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did so well! Thanks for the tips , I feel like I dont't have enough time to get everything done (but I clearly do!) :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ZsDeividas
Well i used different types of revision for each subjects. I liked using flashcards for a lot of the subjects like English, history and PE. For maths it’s all past papers and practice questions. For computer science it was harder because nothing seemed to work, i ended up using linking key words for it to everyday things you see which helped me get back the thought of what it means (which worked).

Oh okay thankyou! , yeah I use quite a few methods one of them mainly being practice aswell.
You did so well! Thanks for the tips , I feel like I dont't have enough time to get everything done (but I clearly do!) :smile:

OMG, that’s exactly how I felttttttt.You have plenty of timee, trust mee, start now if you want, but stop convincing yourself that you don’t have time!!
i got a grade 9 in re despite recieving 6's in mocks all year though teacher was a harsh marker. i didn't do loads of revision, just learnt some quotes and did practice questions- wasn't particularly hardcore revision.
managed to get a 9 in geography by completing all the classwork, learning lots of case studies and again practice questions.
Don’t read it you have to physically do somert ...
Like majority practice questions
The best thing to do is to find the type of revision that works for you. I have a photographic memory so flashcards and mindmaps really work for me, but some people try the MFL vocab list style divided memorising useful. What types of revision have you found keep things in your head? Try using them. It wont be the same for every subject, either.
I got a 9, 2 8s, a 7, 4 6s, a B and a 5, and this is because I managed my time but not my type. I found the right revision style for Biology and Maths, I worked really hard with a good revision style to get my Geman to a 9 and my 6s and 5 were where I was a compete idiot and thought I didn't need to revise. Also, if you are good at a subject, make sure you work on the parts of that subject you are weak on. I got 9 in my computing mock and got a 5 in the actual exams. So again, it's type over amount.
I hope I was some help.
Hey! Don’t panic! Make sure to keep up to date as you go through the year but I think it’s more important not to burn yourself out. In my mocks (mine were in February so later than most schools so I had more time to work) I got a few 7s, 8s And a six. Mocks tend to be marked quite low. Even if you’re a really capable student teachers will not tend to give you nines throughout the year even if your work is obviously worthy of one! I started serious work at the end of January for mocks end of March for the real thing and didn’t work ridiculously hard, but never went into an exam feeling unprepared. I ended up getting nine 9s and a 7... dont think too much about numbers and grades just work on improving. Good luck!!
Reply 14
OMG, that’s exactly how I felttttttt.You have plenty of timee, trust mee, start now if you want, but stop convincing yourself that you don’t have time!!

Okay, Thankyou !
Reply 15
Original post by TectalAlex124
The best thing to do is to find the type of revision that works for you. I have a photographic memory so flashcards and mindmaps really work for me, but some people try the MFL vocab list style divided memorising useful. What types of revision have you found keep things in your head? Try using them. It wont be the same for every subject, either.
I got a 9, 2 8s, a 7, 4 6s, a B and a 5, and this is because I managed my time but not my type. I found the right revision style for Biology and Maths, I worked really hard with a good revision style to get my Geman to a 9 and my 6s and 5 were where I was a compete idiot and thought I didn't need to revise. Also, if you are good at a subject, make sure you work on the parts of that subject you are weak on. I got 9 in my computing mock and got a 5 in the actual exams. So again, it's type over amount.
I hope I was some help.

Thankyou! I think I do that aswell as soon as I do really well in a certain subject I tend to not do as much work which leads to it being neglected sometimes.
Reply 16
Original post by marthamoo1324
Hey! Don’t panic! Make sure to keep up to date as you go through the year but I think it’s more important not to burn yourself out. In my mocks (mine were in February so later than most schools so I had more time to work) I got a few 7s, 8s And a six. Mocks tend to be marked quite low. Even if you’re a really capable student teachers will not tend to give you nines throughout the year even if your work is obviously worthy of one! I started serious work at the end of January for mocks end of March for the real thing and didn’t work ridiculously hard, but never went into an exam feeling unprepared. I ended up getting nine 9s and a 7... dont think too much about numbers and grades just work on improving. Good luck!!

Woah that's amazing! Thankyou and yeah we have our mocks at the start of November so I'm revising for them a bit each day but it's reassuring to know that there is enough time!

I got grade 9 in RS and grade 88 in Combined Science.....i revised, flourished and conquered (my motto) full marks in geog....Nothing

wow congrats!! you're starting to give me hope since i watch free science lessons + at the same time i take a glance at the spec and make flashcards :redface:
i hope i can get similar grades like you :smile:

So the lowest grade i got in my mocks was a six and i revised heavily for those, at least two hours every night and 6+ at weekends, You have to find the type of revision that works for you, cause its not good if you spend ages revising and then don't do well. For me its rewriting everything and flashcards, but i got two 6s, three 7s, three 8s and one 9. But I was consistently getting 7+ in tests at school

Quick Reply

Latest