The Student Room Group

Which colleges have the largest proportion of ensuite rooms to offer undergrads?

Does anyone have any idea? Not many of the college websites really say anything about this

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iras
Does anyone have any idea? Not many of the college websites really say anything about this

The information is there - you just need to look at the halls information in detail.
Reply 2
Original post by iras

Homerton afaik. But many colleges have a fair proportion for first years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
The information is there - you just need to look at the halls information in detail.

Cambridge colleges (not halls) make this info fairly hard to find.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not tried it (due to ensuites not being my main concern and being to awkward to ask questions), but I guess if you went on a open day and talked to people at each of the colleges, you'd probably be able to get a rough idea just by asking. calling/emailing round colleges that interest you to ask about this kind of thing might also work. But afaik there is no up to date central resource that tells you these things, so you'd have to inquire to different colleges separately. Tbh the amount of people who ask these sorts of questions, someone should probably try and create an up to date resource documenting this stuff
Reply 5
Original post by Faction Paradox
Not tried it (due to ensuites not being my main concern and being to awkward to ask questions), but I guess if you went on a open day and talked to people at each of the colleges, you'd probably be able to get a rough idea just by asking. calling/emailing round colleges that interest you to ask about this kind of thing might also work. But afaik there is no up to date central resource that tells you these things, so you'd have to inquire to different colleges separately. Tbh the amount of people who ask these sorts of questions, someone should probably try and create an up to date resource documenting this stuff

Yep agreed. CUSU should do this as part of their Alternative Prospectus.. Oxf*rd has one although it's also getting a bit out of date afaik.
Yep agreed. CUSU should do this as part of their Alternative Prospectus.. Oxf*rd has one although it's also getting a bit out of date afaik.

I'd expect it'd be quite easy for the colleges to supply the info if they wanted, as I definitely know some colleges have room databases with flags on certian rooms for things like ensuite, and I'd guess that all colleges will hold that info somewhere. I think the difficulty is working out someone to ask. Maybe a FOI to each college might do the trick?
Reply 7
I'd expect it'd be quite easy for the colleges to supply the info if they wanted, as I definitely know some colleges have room databases with flags on certian rooms for things like ensuite, and I'd guess that all colleges will hold that info somewhere. I think the difficulty is working out someone to ask. Maybe a FOI to each college might do the trick?

Oh that's been done a while ago, but it goes out of date. I know there's been discussion at the university about providing much more info centrally about accommodation, fingers crossed it will happen sooner rather than later.
Oh that's been done a while ago, but it goes out of date. I know there's been discussion at the university about providing much more info centrally about accommodation, fingers crossed it will happen sooner rather than later.

It'd be interesting to see if that info were provided upfront, how the pattern of applications would change. As certainly I, and most the people I've talked to about applying, didn't really know what the accommodation would be like. Which to me suggests accommodation isn't factoring greatly into college choice currently

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't that part of the entrance test? :biggrin:
Reply 10
Isn't that part of the entrance test? :biggrin:

Hilarious.
Reply 11
It'd be interesting to see if that info were provided upfront, how the pattern of applications would change. As certainly I, and most the people I've talked to about applying, didn't really know what the accommodation would be like. Which to me suggests accommodation isn't factoring greatly into college choice currently

I don't think it would make a huge difference really, especially when the pooling system means you don't necessarily get your college of choice (assuming you get an offer at all) anyway. BUT more in depth accomodation information really should be much more easily available.

Colleges are more similar than different, but differences certainly do exist.
I don't think it would make a huge difference really, especially when the pooling system means you don't necessarily get your college of choice (assuming you get an offer at all) anyway. BUT more in depth accomodation information really should be much more easily available.

Colleges are more similar than different, but differences certainly do exist.

All I know is that I would have been pretty easily swayed by accommodation info if I had it when I applied. But then again I was very concerned about which college I applied to, not really caring about prestige or traditional architecture. So maybe I'm the odd one out here
Hilarious.

I would have thought that whether they'll have an en-suite should be the last thing a serious candidate should be thinking about. How many teenagers have their own en-suite at home? Very few I'd guess ...
Reply 14
All I know is that I would have been pretty easily swayed by accommodation info if I had it when I applied. But then again I was very concerned about which college I applied to, not really caring about prestige or traditional architecture. So maybe I'm the odd one out here

There was an FOI in 2015 across the colleges which yielded info like this:

Spoiler

Note, the above is just for 1st year accommodation.

There was more info provided too:
e.g. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/first_year_undergraduate_living_8
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
I would have thought that whether they'll have an en-suite should be the last thing a serious candidate should be thinking about. How many teenagers have their own en-suite at home? Very few I'd guess ...

And yet how many university halls now offer ensuites? If it wasn't important why is the very first sentence on, for example, Imperial's accommodation page "From premium en-suites to wallet friendly twin rooms, we've got accommodation to suit a range of budgets and in a variety of locations - mostly within walking distance of campus."?
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/

It's a perfectly valid question from an applicant, amongst many others, when choosing a college.
And yet how many university halls now offer ensuites? If it wasn't important why is the very first sentence on, for example, Imperial's accommodation page "From premium en-suites to wallet friendly twin rooms, we've got accommodation to suit a range of budgets and in a variety of locations - mostly within walking distance of campus."?
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/campus-life/accommodation/

It's a perfectly valid question from an applicant, amongst many others, when choosing a college.

Imperial needs to attract people as it's reputation is so low ... I don't know any student that has 'en-suite' in their top ten of things to look for if they are considering Oxbridge.
Reply 17
Imperial needs to attract people as it's reputation is so low ... I don't know any student that has 'en-suite' in their top ten of things to look for if they are considering Oxbridge.

Top 5 question, top 20, whatever. It's still a valid question. An applicant will be considering many things - why not ask about ensuites too? Homerton mentions it on the opening para of their accommodation page.

And as you yourself mentioned in your first post here - other universities do readily provide it. Brookes has all their hall's ensuite status as primary info on their accommodation page
https://www.brookes.ac.uk/studying-at-brookes/accommodation/prospective-students/halls/
(Original post by Doonesbury)]There was an FOI in 2015 across the colleges which yielded info like this:

Spoiler

Note, the above is just for 1st year accommodation.

There was more info provided too:
e.g. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/first_year_undergraduate_living_8

Ooh intersting! Normally I'm good at picking up on interesting FOI requests but this one passed me by. Although ensuite isn't actually a part of accommodation I care about much, been more interested in kitchen/gyp room equipment and internet caps and charges personally. (Although in the end I was pooled so it's not like it made much of a difference in my case)
Reply 19
been more interested in kitchen/gyp room equipment and internet caps and charges personally. (Although in the end I was pooled so it's not like it made much of a difference in my case)

Yup, "do they have an oven" is another valid question .. I know the Queens' bursar (and I'm sure many others) lives in fear of the college going up in smoke, hence their lack of ovens...
(Exactly :yep: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending