The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Glen Eyre, Wessex Lane or Archers Road?

Trying to order my accommodation choices! I am looking for halls with a nice social campus feel and need a bit of help with the pros and cons (atmosphere, kitchens, nearby shops etc). Anyone who was able to go to the accommodation day or any Southampton students out there? Any input would be very helpful!

Thanks!
Original post by serena75
Trying to order my accommodation choices! I am looking for halls with a nice social campus feel and need a bit of help with the pros and cons (atmosphere, kitchens, nearby shops etc). Anyone who was able to go to the accommodation day or any Southampton students out there? Any input would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Hi there!
Am a current Southampton student (1st year) at Connaught, Wessex Lane (part-catered).

I can tell you a lot about Wessex, a bit about Glen and a tinsy bit about Archer's.

Wessex is very social. The catered part much more so as that's where the communal areas, study spaces are. We have the "lounge", "study room" and the other room idk what it's called (used for pre drinking a lot). The lounge is used for halls events such as film nights, there is also a PG common room used for things like fire safety talks (loads of people go to that... ). Etc. so it's nice.
The Wessex Lane people have the right to use these too so that means it's technically shared so it's quite nice.
Is about a 15 minute bus to uni, 25min walk and it's really close to sainsbury's, domino's, tesco's and McDonald's etc.

Glen Eyre is v popular because it's so close to the uni and it's kinda cute. I think it's more expensive because you have lots of newer places, en-suites etc. They have their own bar and hall but not sure what is done there. It's sooo close to uni, maybe a 10 minute walk? You can get the bus but really...
I know lots of friends there, 1 is quite isolated but the other is having a great time so I think it depends how social you are and your flatmates to the level of social enjoyment there but I'm sure it's fine.

Archer's Road is a bit more isolated. Is very nice and relatively new so I'm guessing it's more expensive. Much further away from uni and so yeah I am not sure this one is worth the money for first year anyway. You may be best looking at the online tour, asking someone else as that's literally all I know lol

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me any more questions.
Value for money I've seen with my own accomodation being part-catered. You really don't need an en-suite but what I'd say is you need a good kitchen. If you are wanting to cook properly whilst being catered etc. don't expect to be able to as the kitchens here are tiny.

Please look on the accommodation website for soton, there are online tours.

Cheese
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there!
Am a current Southampton student (1st year) at Connaught, Wessex Lane (part-catered).

I can tell you a lot about Wessex, a bit about Glen and a tinsy bit about Archer's.

Wessex is very social. The catered part much more so as that's where the communal areas, study spaces are. We have the "lounge", "study room" and the other room idk what it's called (used for pre drinking a lot). The lounge is used for halls events such as film nights, there is also a PG common room used for things like fire safety talks (loads of people go to that... ). Etc. so it's nice.
The Wessex Lane people have the right to use these too so that means it's technically shared so it's quite nice.
Is about a 15 minute bus to uni, 25min walk and it's really close to sainsbury's, domino's, tesco's and McDonald's etc.

Glen Eyre is v popular because it's so close to the uni and it's kinda cute. I think it's more expensive because you have lots of newer places, en-suites etc. They have their own bar and hall but not sure what is done there. It's sooo close to uni, maybe a 10 minute walk? You can get the bus but really...
I know lots of friends there, 1 is quite isolated but the other is having a great time so I think it depends how social you are and your flatmates to the level of social enjoyment there but I'm sure it's fine.

Archer's Road is a bit more isolated. Is very nice and relatively new so I'm guessing it's more expensive. Much further away from uni and so yeah I am not sure this one is worth the money for first year anyway. You may be best looking at the online tour, asking someone else as that's literally all I know lol

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask me any more questions.
Value for money I've seen with my own accomodation being part-catered. You really don't need an en-suite but what I'd say is you need a good kitchen. If you are wanting to cook properly whilst being catered etc. don't expect to be able to as the kitchens here are tiny.

Please look on the accommodation website for soton, there are online tours.

Cheese

Hi, can you say anything about mayflower halls? Or do you any one staying there? I’m trying to get to know more about the halls and I’m kind of leaning towards it, thank you.
Original post by Shey11
Hi, can you say anything about mayflower halls? Or do you any one staying there? I’m trying to get to know more about the halls and I’m kind of leaning towards it, thank you.

Hey! Sure :smile:
I have a few friends in Mayflower, haven't been to it though. It's again a little bit isolated but there's so many students there, you're bound to meet people etc.
The rooms are a bit smaller as the majority are en-suite and have semi-double beds. They are probably a bit more expensive too but I am not sure. I believe the prices have all changed a bit for this year anyway.

One thing to note about Mayflower as it's a fair way from campus so you have to get the bus, this means you'll have to time it right to get to lectures on time which is important - I know how easy it is to stay in bed that little bit longer and to miss lectures from friends. Just something to note.

Otherwise I don't know much more uh. It looks nice xD
Reply 4
Original post by Shey11

Just to add to what Cheese said above -

Mayflower is in the city centre, right near Southampton Central station - this is useful if you will be traveling to and from home a lot on the train I guess. It's also walking distance from West Quay (shopping centre) and the highstreet, along with a big ASDA. Also IKEA. IKEA is always fun.

It is quite far from the campus, around a 20-25 minute bus journey but you'll get a bus pass if you stay in (any) halls. If you're studying Oceanography by any chance, Mayflower may be a good idea as you'll be in the NOCS sometimes which is right by the docks/seafront, not far from Mayflower but miles from Campus/Wessex
Reply 5
Original post by TajwarC
Just to add to what Cheese said above -

Mayflower is in the city centre, right near Southampton Central station - this is useful if you will be traveling to and from home a lot on the train I guess. It's also walking distance from West Quay (shopping centre) and the highstreet, along with a big ASDA. Also IKEA. IKEA is always fun.

It is quite far from the campus, around a 20-25 minute bus journey but you'll get a bus pass if you stay in (any) halls. If you're studying Oceanography by any chance, Mayflower may be a good idea as you'll be in the NOCS sometimes which is right by the docks/seafront, not far from Mayflower but miles from Campus/Wessex

Thanks so much for this, found it quite useful. Also do you know how the social scene is at mayflower? I hear the student union is not as active in terms of planning socials/parties unlike in glen Eyre or Wessex do you think that’s true?
Reply 6
Hey! Sure :smile:
I have a few friends in Mayflower, haven't been to it though. It's again a little bit isolated but there's so many students there, you're bound to meet people etc.
The rooms are a bit smaller as the majority are en-suite and have semi-double beds. They are probably a bit more expensive too but I am not sure. I believe the prices have all changed a bit for this year anyway.

One thing to note about Mayflower as it's a fair way from campus so you have to get the bus, this means you'll have to time it right to get to lectures on time which is important - I know how easy it is to stay in bed that little bit longer and to miss lectures from friends. Just something to note.

Otherwise I don't know much more uh. It looks nice xD

Thank you so much
For halls i went to archers. From what i can tell you is that its very live and wild. A lot of the students there are very outgoing. The only problem is that it’s far from all the shops and the highfield campus. I’d suggest Wessex or glen, if you want to experience the student culture and also keep on top of work for first year ( Glen is very close to the campus 10 minute walk), and wessex well it’s the biggest halls in Europe.
Reply 8
I have both stayed at Glen Eyre and Mayflower, plus know a little bit about Archer Road. 1. Glen Eyre:It is far away from city centre where you may find it's inconvenient if you have to buy lot of grocery, shopping, or meeting friends in the city. However, if you love the trees, a little bit of forest person, and love a quiet place, you will definitely love it. By the way it's 10-15 mins walk from your room to uni. My impression of Glen Eyre is that it is very quiet, easy for you to focus (or sleep lol) and it is very beautiful, nice, and new. For rooms, I stayed in en-suite so I can say that rooms in Glen are bigger than mayflower and archer but Glen have only 4-storey building while Mayflower gets like 20?. For the restaurants near Glen Eyre, there are Chinese ones, Italian around Burgess Rd...2. Mayflower:While Glen Eyre has the view and sound of the sky and trees, Mayflower gets its from Bell Tower every 15 mins, cars, trains, parks and siren noise from ambulance and police car, even though you are on the top floor they can reach you. The best thing for Mayflower is that it is so easy for students to go shopping for grocery and everything, plus it is near Southampton train station (5 mins by foot) and coach station (10 mins bf) which is worth to tolerate the noise if you love to travel. For food, there are a lot of restaurants near Mayflower such as Thai, Japanese, Italian, and so on. Going to campus, you have to take U2B bus in front of the accommodation to get there and take U2C to get back. You have to always time your schedule to be on time because the bus will not wait for you.3. Archer Road:Archer is a very isolated accommodation for me, I have a few friends that stayed there and moved out to other accommodations. I can say that the flat is smaller and older that the other two I have mentioned above. This accommodation is right in the center between Glen Eyre and Mayflower, after you walk from your flat to the bus stop you can take u2b, u1a, etc to uni.
Hey!

Hi!! Just wanted to know whether you think single gender or mixed is better. I originally chose single sex, because as I was going for non-ensuite I was under the impression that their was one bathroom shared between girls and boys.

Also any idea what Chancellor's court is like, in particular roll? Haven't seen anyone talk about it...
Original post by Emmiassa
Hi!! Just wanted to know whether you think single gender or mixed is better. I originally chose single sex, because as I was going for non-ensuite I was under the impression that their was one bathroom shared between girls and boys.

Also any idea what Chancellor's court is like, in particular roll? Haven't seen anyone talk about it...

:dontknow:
depends on you!
I personally had no issue with sharing or being around boys in my flat
there's usually 2-3 per flat (toilets/showers)
it's very nice :yy: quite new and in a nice area
:dontknow:
depends on you!
I

Ok thanks!! I wish I chose prefer mixed oh well too late now. Do you know how many people are in a flat in Chancellors court?
Can u plz tell me which buildings in Glen eyre are better or newer, especially if I choose en suite 1? And which buildings have more convenient bus to reach the city center?
Original post by Ninee11
I have both stayed at Glen Eyre and Mayflower, plus know a little bit about Archer Road. 1. Glen Eyre:It is far away from city centre where you may find it's inconvenient if you have to buy lot of grocery, shopping, or meeting friends in the city. However, if you love the trees, a little bit of forest person, and love a quiet place, you will definitely love it. By the way it's 10-15 mins walk from your room to uni. My impression of Glen Eyre is that it is very quiet, easy for you to focus (or sleep lol) and it is very beautiful, nice, and new. For rooms, I stayed in en-suite so I can say that rooms in Glen are bigger than mayflower and archer but Glen have only 4-storey building while Mayflower gets like 20?. For the restaurants near Glen Eyre, there are Chinese ones, Italian around Burgess Rd...2. Mayflower:While Glen Eyre has the view and sound of the sky and trees, Mayflower gets its from Bell Tower every 15 mins, cars, trains, parks and siren noise from ambulance and police car, even though you are on the top floor they can reach you. The best thing for Mayflower is that it is so easy for students to go shopping for grocery and everything, plus it is near Southampton train station (5 mins by foot) and coach station (10 mins bf) which is worth to tolerate the noise if you love to travel. For food, there are a lot of restaurants near Mayflower such as Thai, Japanese, Italian, and so on. Going to campus, you have to take U2B bus in front of the accommodation to get there and take U2C to get back. You have to always time your schedule to be on time because the bus will not wait for you.3. Archer Road:Archer is a very isolated accommodation for me, I have a few friends that stayed there and moved out to other accommodations. I can say that the flat is smaller and older that the other two I have mentioned above. This accommodation is right in the center between Glen Eyre and Mayflower, after you walk from your flat to the bus stop you can take u2b, u1a, etc to uni.
Original post by Emmiassa
Ok thanks!! I wish I chose prefer mixed oh well too late now. Do you know how many people are in a flat in Chancellors court?

Sorry for the late reply but can't remember off the top of my head :redface:
Original post by Minhngoc
Can u plz tell me which buildings in Glen eyre are better or newer, especially if I choose en suite 1? And which buildings have more convenient bus to reach the city center?

Chamberlain is the newest and is the closest to the bus stop at Glen Eyre.
This is also the most popular and most expensive site, so choose wisely as it is v competetive. Also, people with mobiity issues are usually given rooms here as it means they can more easily access the buses etc.
The most convenient bus route to get to the city centre is the U1C . To get there you can either:
- get a bus from Glen Eyre (U2X usually (where X = C or B) ) to the highfield campus interchange and then change there to get the U1C
- walk to the highfield interchange and catch a U1C bus - takes about 10 minutes to walk there from Glen Eyre

remember you get a bus pass with your accommodation!
Glen Eyre was amazing when I was there, people everywhere I loved it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending