The Student Room Group

Is it possible to home school A-Levels at 16?

I know it may not be advised but is it legal?

Scroll to see replies

I mean 16 year olds so A-Levels at sixth form (well, the first year of sixth form).

Why would it be illegal? lmao
Original post by Bill Nye
I mean 16 year olds so A-Levels at sixth form (well, the first year of sixth form).

Why would it be illegal? lmao

I’m not sure, as there is a new law saying everyone between 16-18 need to be in full time education. Would home schooling be seen as full time education?
Reply 3
Original post by Year10Studentt
I’m not sure, as there is a new law saying everyone between 16-18 need to be in full time education. Would home schooling be seen as full time education?

Yes

Yeah
I know it may not be advised but is it legal?

Your parents would have to write a letter of deregistration to your school stating that they are removing you from the school for the purpose of home educating you.
there is no legal requirement and the school must remove your name from the school roll and inform the Education Department of your local authority.
Definitely :smile:

It does depend on the A-level though. Maths-esque ones are definitely self-teachable due to the wealth of online resources.
Original post by Sinnoh
Yes

So I could be home schooled my A-Levels and it would be okay?
Reply 8

Yes. Uni applications could be more complicated though
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Yes. Uni applications could be more complicated though

Okay understandably, how would I arrange it as I’m currently at a Sixth-Form college and really not enjoying it. What would I say to them?

What A-Levels?

Just wondering as science / arts I would have thought would be difficult due to the practical etc
Original post by Bill Nye
What A-Levels?

Just wondering as science / arts I would have thought would be difficult due to the practical etc

English, History and Politics
Reply 12
Okay understandably, how would I arrange it as I’m currently at a Sixth-Form college and really not enjoying it. What would I say to them?

Wouldn't personally recommend to go homeschooled because of that. What don't you like?
Original post by Sinnoh
Wouldn't personally recommend to go homeschooled because of that. What don't you like?

I just don’t feel like it’s serious. I know I have the work ethic to work hard on my own and sixth-form seems so independent regardless.
Also, how is it arranged, I heard the local authorities need to be contacted, what do they do?
Also, how is it arranged, I heard the local authorities need to be contacted, what do they do?

I’ve addressed this further up the thread.
Original post by Seamus123
I’ve addressed this further up the thread.

Oh okay, thanks. What do the local authorities need to do though?
Oh okay, thanks. What do the local authorities need to do though?

Your parents need to write a letter of deregistration to the college/school. The procedure is that your parents will inform the college that they are removing you from the college for the purpose of educating you forthwith.
Your parents have no legal obligation to give the college reasons, but they can do so if they wish.
The school then have a legal obligation to remove you from the school/college roll followed by them informing your local Education Authority.
There is no need for your parents to do this.
your parents may be contacted by the local authority to enquire about the education provision. Again, there is no obligation for them to allow this but it might be helpful as the Education Department May be useful.
There is no financial assistance for home education.
you would have to take exams as an external candidate and pay for any exams. You will also have to find a school or college which will take you as an external candidate and you will have to foot the bill for this too.
Education Otherwise is a good place to start as they can provide legal advice should you need it.
Original post by Seamus123
Your parents need to write a letter of deregistration to the college/school. The procedure is that your parents will inform the college that they are removing you from the college for the purpose of educating you forthwith.
Your parents have no legal obligation to give the college reasons, but they can do so if they wish.
The school then have a legal obligation to remove you from the school/college roll followed by them informing your local Education Authority.
There is no need for your parents to do this.
your parents may be contacted by the local authority to enquire about the education provision. Again, there is no obligation for them to allow this but it might be helpful as the Education Department May be useful.
There is no financial assistance for home education.
you would have to take exams as an external candidate and pay for any exams. You will also have to find a school or college which will take you as an external candidate and you will have to foot the bill for this too.
Education Otherwise is a good place to start as they can provide legal advice should you need it.

There is no obligation for them to allow what?
There is no obligation for them to allow what?

There is no obligation for your parents to allow access by the education department. They may ask to see an education plan and your parents can accede to their request, but they don’t have to.

Quick Reply

Latest