The Student Room Group

Public Law Textbooks

Hi, I need some help with recommendations for Public Law textbooks. I am considering Hilaire Barnett (it is the most used one here besides Andrew Le Sueur) and Mark Elliott. But I am also open to any other books. =)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AscxJ
Hi, I need some help with recommendations for Public Law textbooks. I am considering Hilaire Barnett (it is the most used one here besides Andrew Le Sueur) and Mark Elliott. But I am also open to any other books. =)

Hilaire Barnett's book is a pain to read. It's extremely boring and might make you dislike the subject even more since it's already so bland to begin with.

Mark Elliott's book is very extensive maybe because he's a Cambridge professor? so you might be dwelling too much on one section of a chapter or a chapter unnecessarily.

Use Gary Slapper's book. Very interesting, covers the subject comprehensively and makes you think about issues.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Legal-System-2/dp/1138284475/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

another easy to read ELS book is by Catherine Elliott.
https://www.amazon.com/English-Legal-System-Catherine-Elliott/dp/1408267063
Reply 2
Original post by Audrey18
Hilaire Barnett's book is a pain to read. It's extremely boring and might make you dislike the subject even more since it's already so bland to begin with.

Mark Elliott's book is very extensive maybe because he's a Cambridge professor? so you might be dwelling too much on one section of a chapter or a chapter unnecessarily.

Use Gary Slapper's book. Very interesting, covers the subject comprehensively and makes you think about issues.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Legal-System-2/dp/1138284475/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

another easy to read ELS book is by Catherine Elliott.
https://www.amazon.com/English-Legal-System-Catherine-Elliott/dp/1408267063

Hey I appreciate the feedback. But I'm not talking about English Legal System. >.<

What about John Stanton's Public Law? Is it good?
Original post by AscxJ
Hey I appreciate the feedback. But I'm not talking about English Legal System. >.<

What about John Stanton's Public Law? Is it good?

the first 3 are public law books. I linked the ELS book wrongly. Disregard the last book. That one is meant for English Legal System.

I've never heard of John Stanton. Best if you ask your lecturers about it.

I had 2 friends who are very intelligent. But at the end of the first year they failed 2 subjects, scored borderline for the third and scored distinction for public law. They put all their eggs into one basket because they became very engrossed in public law. Best bit? Both of them are from Asia. That's why some of the British lads took the mickey out of them saying that the 2 who got distinction for Public Law were so into the subject given that they were not even British.

They were told to leave the uni, left the UK, dropped out of law altogether and doing some mickey mouse degrees in other fields back in their home countries.
Original post by Audrey18
the first 3 are public law books. I linked the ELS book wrongly. Disregard the last book. That one is meant for English Legal System.

I've never heard of John Stanton. Best if you ask your lecturers about it.

I had 2 friends who are very intelligent. But at the end of the first year they failed 2 subjects, scored borderline for the third and scored distinction for public law. They put all their eggs into one basket because they became very engrossed in public law. Best bit? Both of them are from Asia. That's why some of the British lads took the mickey out of them saying that the 2 who got distinction for Public Law were so into the subject given that they were not even British.

They were told to leave the uni, left the UK, dropped out of law altogether and doing some mickey mouse degrees in other fields back in their home countries.

Audrey! My friend. And who knew you were a lawyer for the AfD! You must have your work cut out.

Quick Reply

Latest