The Student Room Group

Help life decisions

So basically I need to apply to uni right and rly wanna do medicine I got like a year n half worths of volunteering at hospital and work experience at dentists etc. But my school bearing in mind top 50s in UK has predicted me with a BCC the B in biology Cs in maths n chem. I have done the bmat and am awaiting my results but just did my ukcat yesterday which I scored a 2240 in so like 560 average and my situational was band 3. With these results is there any point in even applying to medicine is there even a slight chance of getting an interview. Should I still apply regardless or is it just a waste of an application or I should apply to something else or take a gap year. Also my GCSE’s were 2 A stars 4 As 4Bs n a C. Pls guys someone reply I actually don’t know what to do. And if not apply for medicine should I use the application to apply to biomed or other xx PS My personally statement is legit only on med the one I’ve written.
Original post by Kenri2000
So basically I need to apply to uni right and rly wanna do medicine I got like a year n half worths of volunteering at hospital and work experience at dentists etc. But my school bearing in mind top 50s in UK has predicted me with a BCC the B in biology Cs in maths n chem. I have done the bmat and am awaiting my results but just did my ukcat yesterday which I scored a 2240 in so like 560 average and my situational was band 3. With these results is there any point in even applying to medicine is there even a slight chance of getting an interview. Should I still apply regardless or is it just a waste of an application or I should apply to something else or take a gap year. Also my GCSE’s were 2 A stars 4 As 4Bs n a C. Pls guys someone reply I actually don’t know what to do. And if not apply for medicine should I use the application to apply to biomed or other xx PS My personally statement is legit only on med the one I’ve written.

Going to be honest, with BCC, that will be unlikely to happen, have you had any offers and who have you applied for?

I would recommend maybe taking a foundation year, that way you will have a route into a medicine course directly rather than doing a conversion from biomed.
Reply 2
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Going to be honest, with BCC, that will be unlikely to happen, have you had any offers and who have you applied for?

I would recommend maybe taking a foundation year, that way you will have a route into a medicine course directly rather than doing a conversion from biomed.

Oh okay basically I haven’t actually sent my application in yet I have like 3 more days to send it and I’ve heard foundation med is rly hard to get into as well like many people don’t get offers but I was thinking if I just applied to computer science instead and when I get my grades maybe try med for clearing or adjustment if not just take a gap year but I still have the option to go to uni if I wanted to do computer science later on
Reply 3
Medicine is something I rly rly want to do but it’s not the only think I like but I believe if I carry putting in more work effort n revision I have a good chance of getting AAA for exams and computer science I feel lik just Leaves my options open for me so I don’t have to risk it with clearing but honestly I don’t know what to do I really would like to do medicine I’ve put in so much time and effort into it and it’s something I genuinely like and want to pursue so at the end of the day I can go ahead n apply to med n get rejected and try again take a gap year or if I apply to comp science might actually get in and wouldn’t have wasted my application
Reply 4
Yep I know lol and no I haven’t looked into physicians associate but I just searched it up and it says i need a degree in something else first to pursue it
Reply 5
Okay thank you so much I felt that the gap year route seems most likely at this point as well I can just apply this year to see how the process is I guess and honestly you’ve really made things clear in my head now I did honestly lag behind in the first year of a levels due to some issues but I will do more work to get the AAAs I need x
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Sure and I rly appreciate ur time and help I’ve just been so stressed with everything from failing my driving test to taking like 3 school exams in the same week as bmat and then ukcat 2 weeks later. Thanks again x
Those are very poor predictions and that is a very poor UKCAT. Its difficult to see how you could get in.

Your best chance for getting into medicine is probably getting AAA and applying after a gap year. I suspect the main problem with that will be the achieving AAA part. Graduate entry medicine is available, but is more competitive.

I think looking at a different degree for now followed by consideration of graduate entry medicine is your best bet.
If you can work hard and push yourself to get AAA, then you can apply in a gap year and redo your UKCAT to increase your chances of getting into medical school. It’s important to be realistic as previous posters said with the predicted grades and you may have to consider other options like the other posters said but you could try acing the A levels and getting AAA or more then apply again. If you think you may struggle that, then physicians associate and other paths may be more suitable.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by Kenri2000
x

I don't have any advice to give that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say that I got BCC 9 years ago and I'm about to start my second year at med school.

Try your best to get AAA, but just know that even if you get BCC it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by wl1
I don't have any advice to give that hasn't already been said, but I just wanted to say that I got BCC 9 years ago and I'm about to start my second year at med school.

Try your best to get AAA, but just know that even if you get BCC it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!

Thanks so much guys and I will try my best to get all A’s 👍
Do whatever you feel like it, use your gut feelings
Apply to something else. If you do get AAA, then take a gap year and reapply to medicine next year or go through clearing. With those predicted grades I doubt you would get an offer. I wanted to do medicine, predicted AAB with similar experience, and decided I wouldn't get in so I decided to do chem instead. bless G
Reply 13
Original post by smeggyellis
Apply to something else. If you do get AAA, then take a gap year and reapply to medicine next year or go through clearing. With those predicted grades I doubt you would get an offer. I wanted to do medicine, predicted AAB with similar experience, and decided I wouldn't get in so I decided to do chem instead. bless G

Hi I was actually interested in Chem how r u finding it though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending