The Student Room Group

Psychology answer

can someone check my answer and give me a rough mark please thanks!!

Polly always checks what her friends are going to wear before she gets ready to go out because she does not like to be the odd one out

Jed watches his colleagues carefully when he starts a new Job so that he can work out where to put his things and how long to take for lunch

Discuss two explanations for conformity.Refer to polly and Jed In your discussion (12 Marks)

The two explanations for conformity according to Morton Deutsch and Harold Gerard are NSI which is (Normative Social Influence) and ISI which is (Informational Social Influence.Both NSI and ISI are based on two human central needs,The need to be correct(ISI) and the need to be liked (NSI).Normative Social influence is an explanation for conformity that says we go along with the majority view because we accept it is correct and want to be correct as well this can lead to internalisation which is a deep type of conformity where we go along with the majority view because we accept it is correct it leads to a far reaching and more permanent change in behaviour.And Informational Social influence is an explanation for conformity that says we go along with the majority view because we want to be liked and/or do not want to be rejected.It leads to compliance which is where we outwardly go along with the majority view but don’t agree with it and this change only lasts as long as the group is monitoring us.Polly is more likely to be influenced by NSI because she does not want to be the odd one out this elucidates that she is influenced by NSI because she does not want to be rejected by the group for being unorthodox.On the other hand,Jed is being influenced by ISI because he is looking towards his colleagues for the correct way to do things for example where to put his things and how long to take lunch this is implies that he is being influenced by ISI because he wants to be correct so he is going along with the majority i.e his colleagues.There is evidence that supports this which is Solomon Asch’s line test. Solomon Asch gathered 6 confederates and 1 naive participant and showed them all a line and showed them 3 other lines and asked them to choose the line which was identical to the first and the confedarates were told to give the wrong answer 12/18 trials75% of participants conformed at least once.From this study Asch concluded that people conform due to the need to be liked and the need to be correct.
Reply 1
How do I do that ?
Yeah, link them back to some old school research.
Reply 3
So, you got NSI and ISI the wrong way around - you had the right idea in the beginning but saying NSI leads to internalisation isn't necessarily true, more often it'll just lead to compliance because the behaviour/values are only present when with the majority group. ISI leads to internalisation because it's looking for the correct information, not just social rules to follow temporarily, therefore having the correct information (or what's believed to be) is genuine accepted and thus it will stay present without the majority group.

Basically, NSI is an emotional process and ISI is a cognitive process - that's largely where their differences are centred.

The answer definitely isn't long enough and there's no paragraphs, it all seems a bit muddled.

Hope that made sense, I have an A* in A Level Psychology so if you want more help, feel free to message me!
Reply 4
Have you covered GRAVE in class yet?
When it comes to evaluating studies, you can use this scheme to do it and will give you the remaining 6 marks if done correctly and in detail.

You need to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of both NSI and ISI, by doing PEEL paragraphs. P- point, E-elaborate, E- evidence, L-link. Do about 3 points in depth. Also refer to Polly and Jed in the evaluation to maximise marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending