The Student Room Group

A level problems

How many hours do I need to study after school? How to prepare for Biology and Chemistry exams?
I'm in the exact same boat.
A couple of months left before exams.

I've asked a couple of my teachers about this; Biology teacher said to start off slow, a couple of hours a week. Chem said the same.

Start increasing time revising as exams get closer; especially when Easter comes around. That's when it gets serious.

For now, over the week - 3 to 4 hours per subject is more than enough; apparently, any more than that and you're overworking yourself.

Goodluck!
I would advise 1 hour every day outside of school per A-Level subject. But it's not about how many hours you study for, but about how effective your revision is.
I shared my study techniques for Biology and Chemistry exam prep here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79104300&postcount=32
I hope you find it useful :smile:
Original post by Grade A
I would advise 1 hour every day outside of school per A-Level subject. But it's not about how many hours you study for, but about how effective your revision is.

How much study would you recommend in year 12 so as not to overdo it?
Original post by DGeorge13
How much study would you recommend in year 12 so as not to overdo it?

It varies for everyone, but I did 3 subjects so tried to do 3 hours of work everyday (after February) and got AAB at AS where AAA is the max grade, but if you start right now, you could get top marks.
Original post by Grade A
It varies for everyone, but I did 3 subjects so tried to do 3 hours of work everyday (after February) and got AAB at AS where AAA is the max grade, but if you start right now, you could get top marks.

I’ve been trying an hour per subject per night and it’s alright I just want to know if it’s realistic for a whole year (I revised 70% this amount at GCSEs for context)
Original post by DGeorge13
I’ve been trying an hour per subject per night and it’s alright I just want to know if it’s realistic for a whole year (I revised 70% this amount at GCSEs for context)

This should be fine, but use exam results to see if your study method works or not. If you get the grades you wanted from the exams, then keep at this. But if you don't do as well, then you may need to increase study hours.
But definitely try this out and see how it goes for now.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest