The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Attendance worry

I am thinking of applying to BSc genetics course to start from 2019 September. I have children that I need to drop off and pick up from school and live 30 minutes away from York. Not sure how far from university though. One of my children is disabled and can't get childcare for him while he is out of school. So I can't attend lectures before 9.30 and after 3. Do you think that would be a massive problem or could I manage with recorded lectures if they do that of course. Thanks.
Original post by Fizzyfuz
I am thinking of applying to BSc genetics course to start from 2019 September. I have children that I need to drop off and pick up from school and live 30 minutes away from York. Not sure how far from university though. One of my children is disabled and can't get childcare for him while he is out of school. So I can't attend lectures before 9.30 and after 3. Do you think that would be a massive problem or could I manage with recorded lectures if they do that of course. Thanks.

Do you have a family member or friend who can help you?

It is quite hard to comment as the timetable for your course may vary every year - you may have classes you need to attend after 3pm, for example. Some lectures do have lectures slides available on your Uni Portal but it might be you have to attend classes/seminars to get the full benefit.
University of York
York
Discuss with the university.
Thank you I shall do. I emailed them before to ask about my grades but I didn't receive a reply. I might call this time as I am getting serious now and started writing my personnel statement.
you can do completely fine without attending a single lecturw as they tend to all be online aswell, just make sure you’re able attend any tutorials or classes or whatever
Original post by dirt consider
you can do completely fine without attending a single lecturw as they tend to all be online aswell, just make sure you’re able attend any tutorials or classes or whatever

Oh thank you very much replying. It was really worrying me. I am intending to attend all the lectures I can.
There were students in my class with children to drop off at school etc who lived some distance away and couldn’t get in for 9 am lectures.
They would just let the relevant lecturer know and it was fine.
Thank you. Good to know there are other mature students/parents to talk to
Original post by Seamus123
There were students in my class with children to drop off at school etc who lived some distance away and couldn’t get in for 9 am lectures.
They would just let the relevant lecturer know and it was fine.

My university was 61% mature students. I was student rep and could negotiate with timetabling to not use afternoon or evening lectures if that was possible. Lectures were always on Blackboard at least 24 hours before along with reading and tasks for the day, so work was easy to access if they couldn’t get in.
Thank you. Good to know there are other mature students/parents to talk to

I have tagged you on the Mature Students Chat Forum.
You should talk to your course leader. It will likely be fine, but in some seminars there will be different classes at different times, so they will be able to put you in one that you can attend. Whole group lectures are more difficult, but at the very least you can explain why you're not there. Universities are often understanding about this, as there are so many different people in different situations.
I would suggest that you raise this officially with the university. There may be some adjustments that can be made to timetabling to try to avoid scheduling things when you can't attend. (Though given the massive complexity of university timetabling there's a limit to how much leeway there is.)But it's much better for them to know up front that you'll have difficulty attending some sessions so that they can arrange the needed support than for you to only mention it at the point where they've noticed that you're not attending stuff.It's fine to mention this to individual lecturers; but you do also need to get it recorded officially; that way if it problems do arise they can't say they weren't aware. They may also be able to point you at other support mechanisms from day one.One tip I'd give is that if lectures are recorded you make a real effort to watch them as soon as you can, and not decide that you can batch them up and watch them in a few weeks' time.
So shall I mention it at the interview or after receiving an offer? I dont want to be disadvantaged to receive a place because of this. Thanks
So shall I mention it at the interview or after receiving an offer? I dont want to be disadvantaged to receive a place because of this. Thanks

You don’t need to mention it until you start and get your timetable honestly, it would just take some switching around on your time table nothing too difficult. Like people have mentioned me, you definitely aren’t the only person in your position i’m sure they’ll be accommodating
Thank you everybody 👏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending