The Student Room Group

URGENT Failed first year Uni. What can I do? What are my options

I have studied my first year in Chemical Engineering at The University of Manchester, I did fail one module out of 12, I also failed the resit due to personal problems but couldn't apply for mitigating circumstances. The module was not compulsory last year but the rules have changed for this year. I have appealed, but it doesn't look likely that it will be upheld. My A levels are AABB in Biology, Maths, Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SamKar12
I have studied my first year in Chemical Engineering at The University of Manchester, I did fail one module out of 12, I also failed the resit due to personal problems but couldn't apply for mitigating circumstances. The module was not compulsory last year but the rules have changed for this year. I have appealed, but it doesn't look likely that it will be upheld. My A levels are AABB in Biology, Maths, Chemistry

Best thing to do would be to speak to your personal tutor and discuss your options. They will know what they are.
Reply 2
I tried...he's a bit clueless so I don't really know who else I can go to. I'm kind of in the dark about what is actually going on- no one seems to know what to do as it's the first year that this had happened in chem eng.I have been asking around...it just feels like they keep throwing me about from one person to the next, no ones giving me a straight answer. Would taking a gap year at this point in the year be wise, as it's probably late to transfer?
Reply 3
I tried...he's a bit clueless so I don't really know who else I can go to. I'm kind of in the dark about what is actually going on- no one seems to know what to do as it's the first year that this had happened in chem eng.I have been asking around...it just feels like they keep throwing me about from one person to the next, no ones giving me a straight answer. Would taking a gap year at this point in the year be wise, as it's probably late to transfer?

Can you retake the entire year? If you did well in the other modules I'm surprised they haven't given you a compensated pass.

Have you spoken to the SU?
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
Can you retake the entire year? If you did well in the other modules I'm surprised they haven't given you a compensated pass.

Have you spoken to the SU?

I can only retake the year if the appeal gets accepted which is unlikely and I'm surprised too...I've never heard of anything being so strict but I guess they just wanted to change everything this year and make it a lot harder to progress on the course. I just don't have a plan B....it's just like they're kicking me out and that's it...no support...no other chance...nothing. It is Chem Eng but even other courses are reluctant to let me transfer, even though I have more than what their requirements ask for. I have tried calling and emailing but there's no spaces and they won't take me on, so I have tried everything so far.
Reply 5
I can only retake the year if the appeal gets accepted which is unlikely and I'm surprised too...I've never heard of anything being so strict but I guess they just wanted to change everything this year and make it a lot harder to progress on the course. I just don't have a plan B....it's just like they're kicking me out and that's it...no support...no other chance...nothing. It is Chem Eng but even other courses are reluctant to let me transfer, even though I have more than what their requirements ask for. I have tried calling and emailing but there's no spaces and they won't take me on, so I have tried everything so far.

And what about your SU? Have you asked for their assistance?

I expect most ChemEng courses will be full at this stage but there aren't many universities offering it so just methodically go through the list of them all and contact them.

Plan C is a gap year and reapply to 5 unis as normal.

If you have tried the ext circs route and they arent offering you a retake of the year or resit but asking you to withdraw, then you need something else.

That means starting again and either using clearing or taking a gap and reapplying.

Clearing is coming to a close, so lots of places have been taken, so it would all be last minute.

The chances you normally get are:

Resit capped

Then discretionary retake of year or resit as an external. Check you arent being offered either of these. If not they are withdrawing you.
Up to them.

I expect the SU will tell you pretty much the same and you can find the rules online on the website or if you have a student handbook.

Leave you to Doones and Bluecow.
Reply 7
And what about your SU? Have you asked for their assistance?

I expect most ChemEng courses will be full at this stage but there aren't many universities offering it so just methodically go through the list of them all and contact them.

Plan C is a gap year and reapply to 5 unis as normal.

Thing about SU is they're really busy and I did go to them about help with my appeal, when I asked them about transfers they said that every school is different and so going to them individually would be wise. I did do that, I'm someone who's interested in a lot of things...So I asked a lot of schools but they're all full and hesitate when I ask about transfers. Also, to go to other unis can I just contact them? Or is there an application process, but I do also think they won't be willing to take people on this late. If I did take a gap year, do you know if that would affect my future prospects and will unis see that as a bad thing?
Reply 8
Thing about SU is they're really busy and I did go to them about help with my appeal, when I asked them about transfers they said that every school is different and so going to them individually would be wise. I did do that, I'm someone who's interested in a lot of things...So I asked a lot of schools but they're all full and hesitate when I ask about transfers. Also, to go to other unis can I just contact them? Or is there an application process, but I do also think they won't be willing to take people on this late. If I did take a gap year, do you know if that would affect my future prospects and will unis see that as a bad thing?

Here's a guide to transferring:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

And no, a gap year will not disadvantage you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start a new course at a different uni, probably only thing. I hope for your sake you're an EU student. My gf is going through something similar and because she is international she's basically screwed. She didn't even fail the module, just the exam but a few %.
Reply 10
Here's a guide to transferring:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

And no, a gap year will not disadvantage you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help, but can I still transfer if I'm technically not on any course right now?
Reply 11
Thank you for your help, but can I still transfer if I'm technically not on any course right now?

Yes, it's not really a "transfer" - you are just applying to new universities, that doesn't matter. The point is you need to call the universities and find out out if they will accept you first. Time is running out to make a transfer for this academic year.

Yes if you are still a student at the uni and no if you have been withdrawn. I think other departments are going to be reluctant to take you as the motivation is that you are a failing student and not that you want to do their course more.

Have a look on clearing to see what Manchester still has.
Reply 13
Original post by 999tigger
Yes if you are still a student at the uni and no if you have been withdrawn. I think other departments are going to be reluctant to take you as the motivation is that you are a failing student and not that you want to do their course more.

Have a look on clearing to see what Manchester still has.

Unfortunately clearing has closed. You are right, this is basically my situation. So what do you think I should do for now? It does feel like Uni has thrown me under the bus.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
If you have tried the ext circs route and they arent offering you a retake of the year or resit but asking you to withdraw, then you need something else.

That means starting again and either using clearing or taking a gap and reapplying.

Clearing is coming to a close, so lots of places have been taken, so it would all be last minute.

The chances you normally get are:

Resit capped

Then discretionary retake of year or resit as an external. Check you arent being offered either of these. If not they are withdrawing you.
Up to them.

I expect the SU will tell you pretty much the same and you can find the rules online on the website or if you have a student handbook.

Leave you to Doones and Bluecow.

You are right, clearing is closing and I don't want to rush into any degree just because I'm getting the chance to do it. It will be a mistake if I don't like it and I would like to go to a somewhat good university. I'm not sure if UoM will accept me next year but maybe other Russel group unis? What do you think? Would a fail and a gap year affect my applications next year?
Reply 15
Original post by MrMusician95
Start a new course at a different uni, probably only thing. I hope for your sake you're an EU student. My gf is going through something similar and because she is international she's basically screwed. She didn't even fail the module, just the exam but a few %.

I have asked other unis about other courses and they are all full, so I will keep calling but uni is starting next week. Luckily I am a home student.I wish your gf luck and I hope she finds something because i know this may be harder for her. Let me know what she ends up deciding as it may help my situation too. Thank you
I have asked other unis about other courses and they are all full, so I will keep calling but uni is starting next week. Luckily I am a home student.I wish your gf luck and I hope she finds something because i know this may be harder for her. Let me know what she ends up deciding as it may help my situation too. Thank you

I'm here to DM if you need. She has to go back to her home country for a year then has to pass her resit then decide whether to switch course or stick.
Unfortunately clearing has closed. You are right, this is basically my situation. So what do you think I should do for now? It does feel like Uni has thrown me under the bus.

Clearing is still open till 23rd of Oct.
Not enough known about why they chose to withdraw you rather than offer a retake or resit next year. They obviously saw something.

Clearing or gap and apply next year. At least you have sufficient funding.
You are right, clearing is closing and I don't want to rush into any degree just because I'm getting the chance to do it. It will be a mistake if I don't like it and I would like to go to a somewhat good university. I'm not sure if UoM will accept me next year but maybe other Russel group unis? What do you think? Would a fail and a gap year affect my applications next year?

Just do something positive in your gap year. ID why you failed and what the right course is for you. If you need extra reassurance then talk to admissions before you reapply and get your referee to mention what went wrong and how you have resolved it.
Reply 19

They haven't "thrown you under a bus". You failed the module and the resit and now they are reviewing your appeal.

It is what it is:

* they might accept your appeal and progress you
* or they might allow you to resit the year
* meanwhile you are looking for places in clearing
* if there's nothing left at other universities this year you reapply next year in a gap year
* if you have a gap year start looking *now* for potential jobs to strengthen your CV.

There's no wrong path through life, just different routes... Treat this as an opportunity not a problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest