The Student Room Group

Why are Mancunians so unfriendly?

I was born in St Mary's hospital in Manchester, and I have lived there all of my life.

The tourist attractions in Manchester are good, but the people seem to be very rude, arrogant and at times just plain horrible:

The people seem to stare at you, and they give you strange looks if you so much as glance over at them for a split second.

A couple of people have laughed at me there, even though I was just walking along minding my own business, and I wasn't saying, doing or wearing anything remotely amusing.

•When it comes to the bus stops, the idea of a standard British queue is more or less nonexistent over there.

•The people just push and shove, and don't say "Excuse me".

I can't understand why they are like this. I have been on this Earth for a while, and as of yet I have never come across at least one decent Mancunian.

Scroll to see replies

"A couple of people have laughed at me there" and people are keen to get on a bus. Therefore... the city has an unfriendly population. Okay.:yy:

Had you been in Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Newcastle, Bristol, you will likely experience the same.

We are the British. Welcome to our country.:hat2:
Reply 2
Manchester led the world in clothing, football and a certain genre of music.
Liverpool is doing well in regeneration and identity, maybe there is a degree of jealousy . . . but you better not say that publicly in Manc.
Added to my list of "must avoid places on earth"
If you're so unhappy then leave. Nobody is forcing you to stay there. But you'll find that any other city has it's unfriendly people, but just like any other city Manchester has it's wonderful people too.
You have definitely not lived in London then lol.
Reply 6
I mean I only moved to Manchester a few days ago but already the people here seem much friendlier compared to other cities :dontknow:
Reply 7
Original post by 214124
I was born in St Mary's hospital in Manchester, and I have lived there all of my life.

The tourist attractions in Manchester are good, but the people seem to be very rude, arrogant and at times just plain horrible:

The people seem to stare at you, and they give you strange looks if you so much as glance over at them for a split second.

A couple of people have laughed at me there, even though I was just walking along minding my own business, and I wasn't saying, doing or wearing anything remotely amusing.

•When it comes to the bus stops, the idea of a standard British queue is more or less nonexistent over there.

•The people just push and shove, and don't say "Excuse me".

I can't understand why they are like this. I have been on this Earth for a while, and as of yet I have never come across at least one decent Mancunian.

Strange. I'm Manchester born and bred and never experienced pushing onto buses. We always queue and let people off the bus. However I agree about the laughing and insulting thing, it's happened to me by some chavs a lot. Never in other places (not been away much though). I guess it's just the culture here. My dad's family were/are all negative and mean for humour purposes. Lol. Just the way it is I'm afraid.
There is definitely truth to the moody Liam Gallagher type monkey walker.
Original post by NJA
Manchester led the world in clothing, football and a certain genre of music.
Liverpool is doing well in regeneration and identity, maybe there is a degree of jealousy . . . but you better not say that publicly in Manc.

It likes to shout it's mouth off about that stuff but none of it is true.
Reply 9
Original post by lucieol
I mean I only moved to Manchester a few days ago but already the people here seem much friendlier compared to other cities :dontknow:

We are nice and polite in general, don't worry lol. Nobody is going to tell you to f*ck off. In fact we're like typical Brits apologising when it isn't our fault etc etc. Some people are a**holes but that's the same anywhere.

I find it strange OP said there's not one decent Manc. There's plenty...
you can say all you want about manc, but you have to admit that after the horrific attack last may we came together pretty darn well
I'm gonna be controversial and agree with OP

I used to live in Lancashire, and used to hang around Manchester a lot. I now live in London.
London folks are dead zombies
Manchester folks are mostly annoying.....

And in both cities the Tourist are the only lil blessing.

But i'd rather live with rude people albeit have the true big city perks....

Hence why Manchester is worse... XD
Its a lifestyle here up North, can't handle it, don't come. Simple.

And seriously? Standard queuing for a BUS? Nah mate
Original post by UncertainCertain
Its a lifestyle here up North, can't handle it, don't come. Simple.

And seriously? Standard queuing for a BUS? Nah mate

hehehehehehe,

The ONLY thing about london i like rn, is that even when it's the most busy at the bus stop people queue up.
Gotta order coffee from a random street stall, queue up.
Gotta throw smt in the bin but someone is infront of you? queue up...

And then there's the Tube..... Absolute savagery down there, I always feel sorry for the eldery.. rip
Original post by Le Vagabond
I'm gonna be controversial and agree with OP

I used to live in Lancashire, and used to hang around Manchester a lot. I now live in London.
London folks are dead zombies
Manchester folks are mostly annoying.....

And in both cities the Tourist are the only lil blessing.

But i'd rather live with rude people albeit have the true big city perks....

Hence why Manchester is worse... XD

There is truth to what the OP is saying. Never coming across one decent Manc is bs but it is true that a lot of them are moody. If people haven't noticed it I can only assume they haven't been to Manchester tbh.

Met a nice old man on the metrolink once. He helped me get to where I needed to go and was very friendly.
Reply 15
Original post by Wilfred Little
There is truth to what the OP is saying. Never coming across one decent Manc is bs but it is true that a lot of them are moody. If people haven't noticed it I can only assume they haven't been to Manchester tbh.

Met a nice old man on the metrolink once. He helped me get to where I needed to go and was very friendly.

There are definitely bound to be some friendly mancunians out there, but I personally haven't met any.
Reply 16
Original post by Plus7
Strange. I'm Manchester born and bred and never experienced pushing onto buses. We always queue and let people off the bus. However I agree about the laughing and insulting thing, it's happened to me by some chavs a lot. Never in other places (not been away much though). I guess it's just the culture here. My dad's family were/are all negative and mean for humour purposes. Lol. Just the way it is I'm afraid.

I was there last weekend, and I had to catch a bus to get back to where I live. When the bus came, everybody scrambled to get on and that set off my anxiety levels because I have claustrophobia.

The thing about the people staring at me, giving me weird looks and sometimes even laughing at me does bother me a lot, especially since I don't even know those people and I have never done anything to them.
When I was in the centre of Manchester this weekend, some men who I didn't know were laughing and pointing at me from their car. To give them a taste of their own medicine, I laughed at them back.
It's a city, where the majority in the centre aren't actually from Manchester.
Reply 18
Original post by 214124
I was there last weekend, and I had to catch a bus to get back to where I live. When the bus came, everybody scrambled to get on and that set off my anxiety levels because I have claustrophobia.

The thing about the people staring at me, giving me weird looks and sometimes even laughing at me does bother me a lot, especially since I don't even know those people and I have never done anything to them.
When I was in the centre of Manchester this weekend, some men who I didn't know were laughing and pointing at me from their car. To give them a taste of their own medicine, I laughed at them back.

Just throw them a dirty lol. D*ckheads. People are just pathetic sometimes, they like to think they're better than other people and this is their way of showing it. Like you said they don't know you so their opinion doesn't matter. A few people have done that to me or said nasty sh*t. I was filled with anxiety and suic*dal thoughts at that point in my life. But now at 25 I REALLY don't care lmao.

The buses and queues aren't all that way believe me. We're rule followers in general lol.

Also I must add they could have been laughing for so many reasons other than insulting you. You could look like someone they know.
Weird post. Manchester is a city that prides itself on being friendly and welcoming to people from all over the world ... and usually is.

Middle class communities in London tend to be rude and stand-offish to a point. People in Manchester for the most part are just a bit cynical and highly sarcastic but generally warm and fun under it all.

Latest