The Student Room Group

Cambridge

If Cambridge is asking for a 6 in maths for a biology course and I have a 5 but I achieve 3 A*s in Biology, psychology, and History would they consider my application?
Original post by Mick Beever
If Cambridge is asking for a 6 in maths for a biology course and I have a 5 but I achieve 3 A*s in Biology, psychology, and History would they consider my application?

You need to ask them but unlikely as they are most likely oversubscribed and have plenty of applicants who meet their entry requirements easily. Why does it have to be Cambridge?
Reply 2
It doesn't really. I was just curious as to whether or not it was worth putting that as my highest grades option on my application. Settled for Durham. I preferred Cambridge because I'm told by many that career prospects for hard sciences are pretty slim, or at least very low paying and undesirable.
Original post by Mick Beever

This is problematic for me. Cambridge doesn't do 'biology courses' - are you talking about Natural Sciences?

If so, just having Biology at A level without any further hard sciences and a 5 at GCSE maths with no further maths at A level will probably rule you out of making a competitive application to NatSci, even biological. You ideally would have Chemistry at A level along with the Biology and preferably maths at A level, but certainly higher than 5 at GCSE if it's only been taken to that level.

Will Durham accept this combination of A levels for Biology, with the poor maths result?
(edited 5 years ago)
Only one science A Level? Chemistry is just as if not more important than Biology for the "Biology" courses in the first year NST.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
(Original post by Reality Check)This is problematic for me. Cambridge doesn't do 'biology courses' - are you talking about Natural Sciences?

If so, just having Biology at A level without any further hard sciences and a 5 at GCSE maths with no further maths at A level will probably rule you out of making a competitive application to NatSci, even biological. You ideally would have Chemistry at A level along with the Biology and preferably maths at A level, but certainly higher than 5 at GCSE if it's only been taken to that level.

Will Durham accept this combination of A levels for Biology, with the poor maths result?

Probably not, no, but they make no mention of GCSEs on the application website (from what I remember at least) and they state that they accept psychology in the place of a hard science. I figured that it's probably best to at least send my application in. About the poor question wording, lazyness on my part.
Original post by Reality Check
This is problematic for me. Cambridge doesn't do 'biology courses' - are you talking about Natural Sciences?

Does Cambridge not do Biological Natural Sciences. Natural Sciences but the biology route.
Original post by tsr unofficial
Does Cambridge not do Biological Natural Sciences. Natural Sciences but the biology route.

Yes - you originally wrote 'biology course', which isn't quite what the Cambridge tripos is. But you're right to say you can do NatSci with a biology route - you'd usually do Cells, Physiology of Organisms and either Evolution and Behaviour or Chemistry for IA, together with maths.

Quick Reply

Latest