The Student Room Group

Psychology, Sociology, Maths and Further Maths?

Hey everyone,
so I've started year 12 and atm I'm doing French, Psychology, Maths and Further Maths for AS. I'm thinking of switching French to Sociology but I've been told by a teacher that psychology and sociology are both 'non facilitating subjects', however a few of my friends do both and say that the subjects go hand in hand?
I'm already interested in psychology and I enjoy the subject (got A at GCSE) and I've done sociology in year 9 and enjoyed it too. The deadline for course changes is tomorrow and I'm still debating whether or not to change French to Sociology? I get bored easily while doing French, I got a 7 at GCSE but don't see any point in doing it for A-levels. I know that unis appreciate modern languages but I don't enjoy French and so don't think it's suitable for me - I don't have much interest in the subject and don't think I'll do very well. Is choosing psychology and sociology together really a bad idea? Are they too similar? I'm definitely keeping maths and further maths, if FM gets too hard I'll drop it at A2. (got 9 in maths and enjoy it alot).
Would realllyyyy appreciate your advice guys, it's urgent and I'm stresssinggggg ://
(edited 5 years ago)
They go great together, thought that was common knowledge.
Original post by random_matt
They go great together, thought that was common knowledge.

that's what I thought but my teachers are making me think otherwise.
Original post by yumnaxhussain
that's what I thought but my teachers are making me think otherwise.

Because they are dumb. Psychology is about the individual, basically dispositional analysis. Sociology is about groups and the external variable that effect the behaviours in question. When they both look for answers in the questions they ask, they will attribute the cause either dispositionally (Psychology) or externally (Sociology). This would cause what is known as a attributional error, and both aspects could attribute to the behaviours they are seeing. Both subjects works along each other, it is stupid to think otherwise.
Because they are dumb. Psychology is about the individual, basically dispositional analysis. Sociology is about groups and the external variable that effect the behaviours in question. When they both look for answers in the questions they ask, they will attribute the cause either dispositionally (Psychology) or externally (Sociology). This would cause what is known as a attributional error, and both aspects could attribute to the behaviours they are seeing. Both subjects works along each other, it is stupid to think otherwise.

Makes sense, thank you. What about unis, what do they generally think about doing both of them at A-level?
Makes sense, thank you. What about unis, what do they generally think about doing both of them at A-level?

Doing them both at A-level is fine, now degree choices is another question. You can either do straight psychology or perhaps social psychology and sociology. But I find with the latter it is more sociology and psychology on the side, so major/minor if you like. Perhaps you might find you like criminology, and take psychology as an secondary as well. Really depends where you want to be career wise.
Doing them both at A-level is fine, now degree choices is another question. You can either do straight psychology or perhaps social psychology and sociology. But I find with the latter it is more sociology and psychology on the side, so major/minor if you like. Perhaps you might find you like criminology, and take psychology as an secondary as well. Really depends where you want to be career wise.

What about if I want to do law? I'm not good at writing at all and so I didn't choosing essay based subjects like English Lit or Government and Politics although I know you need them to do law tbh. But I'm good at psychology and sociology because the essays that we have to write are memorised content and I have no problem writing essays if I'm just copying down stuff that we learn and I don't actually have to write something spontaneous if ygm? I'm not sure what I wanna do yet all I know is I probably wanna do law or accounting :/
What about if I want to do law? I'm not good at writing at all and so I didn't choosing essay based subjects like English Lit or Government and Politics although I know you need them to do law tbh. But I'm good at psychology and sociology because the essays that we have to write are memorised content and I have no problem writing essays if I'm just copying down stuff that we learn and I don't actually have to write something spontaneous if ygm? I'm not sure what I wanna do yet all I know is I probably wanna do law or accounting :/

In that case, a degree in law then, not entirely if you can do something else with it.
In that case, a degree in law then, not entirely if you can do something else with it.

Alright, thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest