The Student Room Group

Which unis interview for Earth Sciences/Geology?

I'm aware that Oxford and Imperial interview, but I'm wondering if other unis interview as well (e.g. Bristol, Manchester, Southampton, Cardiff, Leeds, Exeter...)

If so, do unis place a huge emphasis on interviews compared to other things we submit (personal statement and AL grades)?

Also, is a Q&A session in UCL judged as a formal interview using the determine whether to give you an offer?

Grateful for any help:smile:
im sure the unis will say on their website, I definitely remember manc and Southampton interviewing, and not particularly bc the thing is, they aren't going to ask you hard questions and they don't expect you to know that much about the subject as most people haven't studied it before. its kind of a way to seem like they're a better uni haha. just do your best for every part of your application! I applied and am going to ucl this year and I didn't have a Q&A session.. I had a post offer interview which was weird, think they use it if you miss your grades x
Reply 2
Original post by rebeccatwsykes
im sure the unis will say on their website, I definitely remember manc and Southampton interviewing, and not particularly bc the thing is, they aren't going to ask you hard questions and they don't expect you to know that much about the subject as most people haven't studied it before. its kind of a way to seem like they're a better uni haha. just do your best for every part of your application! I applied and am going to ucl this year and I didn't have a Q&A session.. I had a post offer interview which was weird, think they use it if you miss your grades x

Thank you for your quick reply:smile:

Most unis say that it "depends" so I was unsure how often they actually interview. As for Manchester they didn't have any info under selection process for the 2019 entry but I found it in the course profile for 2018 entry...
Original post by LYLN
Thank you for your quick reply:smile:

Most unis say that it "depends" so I was unsure how often they actually interview. As for Manchester they didn't have any info under selection process for the 2019 entry but I found it in the course profile for 2018 entry...

May I ask what sort of questions they asked during your interview? Is it a combination of why this uni/course and your future goals?

no problem! woah this year they must be making some changes, probably bc my year didn't get a lot of applicants lol. its v cheeky of them to say 'it depends' haha.
Reply 4
no problem! woah this year they must be making some changes, probably bc my year didn't get a lot of applicants lol. its v cheeky of them to say 'it depends' haha. hmm what can I remember from it... will definitely include basic ones such as
-why that uni
-why this course (tip: don't say generic rubbish)
-any extra curricular activities
-clarify/expand on something in personal statement
and then I can't remember much more sorryyy. I only had 1 interview (imperial) and he started showing me pictures he'd taken and asked if I knew what geological formation it was.. I got 2/3 wrong oops and he asked how ill pay for accommodation (don't think they're allowed to ask that?). don't think any future goals questions (if there was I would've said I have no clue) anyway I got the offer despite not actually knowing that much about geology so don't worry too much but definitely prepare some answers

Thank you so much for your help and advice! I'm quite nervous about interviews since I stutter a lot and my brain tends to shut down when I most need it:argh:

May I ask which other unis you applied to?
Universities will generally make it clear whether they interview or not. Bristol does not interview for Earth Sciences (except for special circumstances), Southampton does, not sure about the others. I'd also request that people do not give any specific information about what they were asked in their interview because this is unfair against other applicants!
Original post by LYLN
Thank you so much for your help and advice! I'm quite nervous about interviews since I stutter a lot and my brain tends to shut down when I most need it:argh:

May I ask which other unis you applied to?

anytime:smile: same I almost cried when my name got called for the interview and I was so scared I was gonna go blank, I also didn't have any mock interviews as that would've scared me too much, but when I answered the first couple (which I had prepared points for), I felt so much more comfortable. just think of it as a lil chat with someone who works there so they can see that you're a normal person and are interested in the course, they're really not judging you as much as it feels like they are. I only applied to UCL and imperial as I wanted to stay in London
Reply 7
Original post by Plagioclase
Universities will generally make it clear whether they interview or not. Bristol does not interview for Earth Sciences (except for special circumstances), Southampton does, not sure about the others. I'd also request that people do not give any specific information about what they were asked in their interview because this is unfair against other applicants!

Thank you for your help (again!:tongue:) Sorry if I was asking for too many specifics:frown:
Reply 8
anytime:smile: same I almost cried when my name got called for the interview and I was so scared I was gonna go blank, I also didn't have any mock interviews as that would've scared me too much, but when I answered the first couple (which I had prepared points for), I felt so much more comfortable. just think of it as a lil chat with someone who works there so they can see that you're a normal person and are interested in the course, they're really not judging you as much as it feels like they are. I only applied to UCL and imperial as I wanted to stay in London

Thanks for sharing your experience and giving advice! Everyone else in my school just seems much more composed and confident that I worry I would be compared harshly. I have nightmares about interviews even when they're so far away but maybe that's because I've been thinking too much about them...

Btw well done for making it into UCL! Hope you enjoy uni life:smile:
Original post by LYLN
Thanks for sharing your experience and giving advice! Everyone else in my school just seems much more composed and confident that I worry I would be compared harshly. I have nightmares about interviews even when they're so far away but maybe that's because I've been thinking too much about them...

Btw well done for making it into UCL! Hope you enjoy uni life:smile:

my school is like that too but you just gotta let them do them and you do you, yes some people will perform very well in the interview but a) that doesn't mean they'll get an offer and b) you can also get an offer. other than believing in yourself id say don't see it as anything major like a job interview for example, its only one section of your application and the subject isn't super competitive, also worst comes to the worst, great unis come up in clearing eg Exeter and Southampton who will then only look at grades but im sure you'll get offers now so dw. trust me some loads of other people suck at interviews and the interviewer understands how anxious you'll be. only other tip I can give is don't think about it at all! prepare your answers forgetting its for an interview and then go in there and have a chat:smile:
thank you v much I hope I do too, only just found accommodation tonight so its been so stressful haha. good luck to you and message me for anything you want ill be happy to help x
Reply 10
my school is like that too but you just gotta let them do them and you do you, yes some people will perform very well in the interview but a) that doesn't mean they'll get an offer and b) you can also get an offer. other than believing in yourself id say don't see it as anything major like a job interview for example, its only one section of your application and the subject isn't super competitive, also worst comes to the worst, great unis come up in clearing eg Exeter and Southampton who will then only look at grades but im sure you'll get offers now so dw. trust me some loads of other people suck at interviews and the interviewer understands how anxious you'll be. only other tip I can give is don't think about it at all! prepare your answers forgetting its for an interview and then go in there and have a chat:smile:
thank you v much I hope I do too, only just found accommodation tonight so its been so stressful haha. good luck to you and message me for anything you want ill be happy to help x

Thanks for your reassurance and advice:smile:
I was planning to use accommodation as one of the criteria for my uni choices but I didn't know how to start looking!
Original post by LYLN
Thanks for your reassurance and advice:smile:
I was planning to use accommodation as one of the criteria for my uni choices but I didn't know how to start looking!

erm I wouldn't worry about it yet.. but do worry about it nearer the time as the company I booked with is now saying its sold out so I don't have anywhere to live and I start the day after tomorrow. great.
Reply 12
erm I wouldn't worry about it yet.. but do worry about it nearer the time as the company I booked with is now saying its sold out so I don't have anywhere to live and I start the day after tomorrow. great.

Oh no... good luck with accommodation hunting!
Original post by LYLN
Oh no... good luck with accommodation hunting!

literally searched everywhere, only 1 feasible place left so I booked it but its way over budget and I haven't even viewed it HELP sorry to bother u with my troubles hahah
Reply 14
literally searched everywhere, only 1 feasible place left so I booked it but its way over budget and I haven't even viewed it HELP sorry to bother u with my troubles hahah

Haha don't worry I'm sure it will work out:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending