The Student Room Group

Do you use internet discussion forums?

Does anybody use internet discussion forums, apart from TSR, or has Facebook killed them - as far as young people are concerned?

I read somewhere that it was an embarrassment to say that you even used internet forums nowadays yet using Facebook and Twitter is normal.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a31507595/internet_forumsboards_are_for_losers_p
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Does AVEN count?
I don't use any apart from TSR. I used to, but I am now a member of Facebook groups that cater for the hobbies that I used the boards for, so I only need to log onto the one website now.
without forums I wouldn't be where I am today knowledge-wise + academically and I wouldn't know most of the friends and people in my professional network.

they are a blessing in a world where information is guarded through social bubbles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is it an embarrassment, I love using forums, you usually get people who understand stuff talk to you and help you with your topic. There are a lot of forums still in use today, that's why they exist
Reply 5
Personally I hate internet discussion forums, don't use Facebook, the Student Room, Reddit. Don't even use 4Chan !!!
Just TSR tbf, everyone else is so mean! :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Steljoy
How is it an embarrassment, I love using forums, you usually get people who understand stuff talk to you and help you with your topic. There are a lot of forums still in use today, that's why they exist

I like forums but I hate Facebook. Forums are designed to encourage in-depth discussion and debate in a way that Facebook isn't. Multiple topics can be discussed simultaneously and discussions can go on for weeks or even months if required. With Facebook only the latest topic or two attracts debate and topics only a few days, or even hours, old have become 'stale' with nobody participating in them as the crowd has moved on. Older discussions are hard to search on Facebook, as it's a continuous thread, but are very easy to search on forums.

I'm wondering if I'm getting old and failing to move with the times. Under 25s rarely seem to use forums any more. They are perceived as old school and uncool places populated with greying 30 and 40 somethings. I actually think that there is a stigma associated with forums in that they are hangouts of social inadequates / people who don't have a life / unmarried over 30s who still live with their parents whilst normal folk use Facebook and Twitter although I know that it's untrue.
I use TSR and facebook mostly but I do sit and read some forums which has some useful info on but rarely participate in them

Original post by Arran90
Does anybody use internet discussion forums, apart from TSR, or has Facebook killed them - as far as young people are concerned?

I read somewhere that it was an embarrassment to say that you even used internet forums nowadays yet using Facebook and Twitter is normal.

https://community.babycenter.com/post/a31507595/internet_forumsboards_are_for_losers_p

Quick Reply

Latest