The Student Room Group

A level vs Btec - which is better?

So been in a debate with family regarding A levels or Btech. Which is better?
Would universities not recognise Btech?
I was told compared to A levels, they are more distinctive toward career ladder and u have learned theory and practise. Also u have more of a chance to get higher grades as it is 70% course work and 30% exam where as A level is 100% exam.
If u do well on the day good or u have had it.
Need views plz
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wondering123
I was told compared to A levels, they are more distinctive toward career ladder and u have learned theory and practise. Also u have more of a chance to get higher grades as it is 70% course work and 30% exam where as A level is 100% exam.
Need views plz

It depends very much on the subject involved and the sort of course that you’re hoping to study at university.
Just be aware that Btecs are not as well regarded, it’s not fair but they just aren’t. Some Unis or Jobs may be funny about them if you just only do them.
I was told compared to A levels, they are more distinctive toward career ladder and u have learned theory and practise

Nonsense.
Good universities will not take you on a BTEC.
BTECs are nowhere near as rigorous as A-Levels, which is both good and bad.

But tbh, your standard of spelling/grammar show that you're precisely the right candidate for a BTEC.
Reply 4
Got into a top 10 uni with a BTEC, I always have a good laugh at the a level students who mocked me for it and then messed up their exams... Heh... Enjoy clearing kiddo
Need views plz

What course/career are you aiming for?
Original post by DarthRoar
Nonsense.

But tbh, your standard of spelling/grammar show that you're precisely the right candidate for a BTEC.

Lol. I had typed this quickly on my phone; I didn't realise I was being assessed.
It's only that, I know of individuals who have got into good uni's by doing vocational and achieved the highest standard of education as well as people who have done their A levels and just about passed them. I assumed it just depends on the ind, on how much work they'd put in. I just wanted to know, how many would have chosen theory and practice instead of just theory if they were given the choice to do it again?
My older sister did her A levels in psychology, Sociology and English. She said her friend did similar in vocation. Both got into good uni's. Sister got AAB and she ADD. Sister said it's depends on the way u learn and what route is better as you can still achieve. My parent's disagree! :fight:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Grade A
What course/career are you aiming for?

Midwife
Midwife

Try checking the entry requirements of universities on their website. In the entrance requirement section, they'll state the qualification types that are accepted for the particular course.
Nonsense.

The truth stings
Hi just so you know, people who look down on btec are missing a key point: a person who does btec will end up doing the job they have been studying for exactly the same as someone who does a levels and studies for a particular job. If you think that course work suits you more than exams then i say go for BTEC. If theres a pathway to midwifery through BTEC, then sure as hell youre gonna become a midwife at the end of the day. Just like someone who studies at Oxford vs a 'lower standard university', for idk lets say teaching. You will both become teachers in the end and have the same teaching experience as one another.
Need views plz

Most people view BTEC as an inferior qualification in contrast to A-levels, however they should be looked more highly now as the new reformed BTECs require examination which will change the perspectives of the qualifications for universities. However prior to the reform: they were mediocre, yet could still get you into decent universities as long as you achieve the required grades e.g DDD.
Reply 12
Nonsense.

You're talking absolute rubbish.

Since finishing my BTEC, I have graduated from a top 30 uni for my bachelors degree and a top 10 uni for masters degree in computer science.
Need views plz

If you want to give your self the absolute best chance of opening every door with an opportunity then take A-levels
Of course that only applies if you are able to get BBB minimum or higher.

If you are not up to that standard then you should take a useful (meaning not hair and beauty) btec alongside with an single alevel or two as that will open up not top but respectable universities.

You won't be getting into oxbridge or ucl /imperial or the like but you will be able to go to an university that is respectable.

Also keep in mind that a btec will severely impact the ability to choose a random course at uni. You are limited to only your btec subject at uni.

It is also much less respected than alevels and virtually any other equivalent by employers and universities alike

So unless you are not going to do well at alevel avoid btecs
Reply 14
Original post by Inspiringvisons
If you want to give your self the absolute best chance of opening every door with an opportunity then take A-levels
Of course that only applies if you are able to get BBB minimum or higher.

If you are not up to that standard then you should take a useful (meaning not hair and beauty) btec alongside with an single alevel or two as that will open up not top but respectable universities.

You won't be getting into oxbridge or ucl /imperial or the like but you will be able to go to an university that is respectable.

Also keep in mind that a btec will severely impact the ability to choose a random course at uni. You are limited to only your btec subject at uni.

It is also much less respected than alevels and virtually any other equivalent by employers and universities alike

So unless you are not going to do well at alevel avoid btecs

Oxford and UCL accept BTEC for many courses
Original post by yt7777
You're talking absolute rubbish.

Since finishing my BTEC, I have graduated from a top 30 uni for my bachelors degree and a top 10 uni for masters degree in computer science.

Depends on whether you think 30th place is good. Which uni?
Reply 16
Depends on whether you think 30th place is good. Which uni?

I'm assuming by your comment you don't?

Royal Holloway, and was actually top 20 when I was there, now 25th I believe on The Times HE and (arguably) the best uni in the UK to study cyber security which was a large part of my Comp Sci degree. And my MSc was at a top 10.

Other people back from my old BTEC class also got into: Manchester, UCL, Southampton, Surrey, Cardiff and Kings.
(edited 5 years ago)
Need views plz

Depends what you mean by better?

More widely respected and accepted everywhere as a test of academic ability, then it is A levels every time. Btec arent accepted for certain courses and by certain unis.

If you arent applying for those courses or unis and the BTEC gets you in then it could well be better for you.
Original post by yt7777
Oxford and UCL accept BTEC for many courses

Is that extended diploma or just a subsidiary diploma/ extended certificate?
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
Is that extended diploma or just a subsidiary diploma/ extended certificate?

Oxford - https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1

UCL - Accept for certain courses e.g. IMB, Applied Medical Science, Engineering, Crime Science to name a few, and they only state the Extended Diploma, not a combination of A levels and BTECs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending