The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TCL
It does say on the website that the 9 they count have to include maths, english language and Science, so depends what your B is. If the B is not one of those, yes, you have 31 before BMAT so I would say you have a reasonable chance of an interview if you are good at BMAT. My son has 32 before BMAT and is planning to apply and put a lot of effort into strong BMAT. They give the first 2 sections double the weighting of the essay section if it helps.

Can you send me a link or quote there website I cannot find that

my B IS IN English Language shame so it counts does that mean my score is 30

i have no chance then ??
Reply 21
Original post by Qaasim11617

i have no chance then ??

https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb#section3

And the e-mail I received from admissions said:

We add the marks for GCSE or AS (whichever is the higher of the 2) with the marks for predicted or actual grades at A Level to give a total of 35 points for exams. The highest score for GCSEs is 27 points for 9 A*s (including English, Maths, and Double Science or Chemistry and Biology) or 27 points for 3 grade As at AS (including Chemistry).

I would not say "no chance" because it would depend on how you do at BMAT, but you would want to be confident of getting into the top 40% of BMAT scores.
Reply 22

i have no chance then ??

But you should double-check by sending your stats to the admissions team. It may also be worth checking whether you qualify for Access to Leeds.
Reply 23
I have 33 points before bmat, and just got 3.7, 3.7, 3A. Any advice??
Reply 24
Original post by drjay24
I have 33 points before bmat, and just got 3.7, 3.7, 3A. Any advice??

Email admissions and ask them which band that would have put you in for the last couple of years. I am guessing it will be band 4, so you would have 35 which is certainly in with a good chance given that 33 would have been the cut off last year. If it was band 3, a score of 36 should be comfortable.

Good luck!
Reply 25
Original post by TCL
Email admissions and ask them which band that would have put you in for the last couple of years. I am guessing it will be band 4, so you would have 35 which is certainly in with a good chance given that 33 would have been the cut off last year. If it was band 3, a score of 36 should be comfortable.

Good luck!

Ahh okay thanks I have done. I’m worried it might be band 5 though
Original post by tcl
but you should double-check by sending your stats to the admissions team. It may also be worth checking whether you qualify for access to leeds.

how do you know what the cut off will be how are you so certain itll be 35
Reply 27
It was different last year because the were scoring PS. The Admissions office said that if they had been operating the current system last year, the cut off for interviews would have been around 33.
Reply 28
how do you know what the cut off will be how are you so certain itll be 35

I don't know what the cut off will be, but it would have been 33 for 2018 if the current admissions system had been used for the applicants they got (according to Admissions Office). I think it may go up if lots of people realise that Leeds is no longer scoring PSs and the number of applicants increases, but based on my reading, I would say that 36 feels safe and 35 looks like a reasonable chance, 34 looks a bit marginal.

Everybody has to apply their own approach to risk!
Original post by TCL
I don't know what the cut off will be, but it would have been 33 for 2018 if the current admissions system had been used for the applicants they got (according to Admissions Office). I think it may go up if lots of people realise that Leeds is no longer scoring PSs and the number of applicants increases, but based on my reading, I would say that 36 feels safe and 35 looks like a reasonable chance, 34 looks a bit marginal.

Everybody has to apply their own approach to risk!

okay so will nobody with 33 be interviwed
Reply 30
okay so will nobody with 33 be

Well we can’t predict the type if applicants, it might be the same, lower or higher than last year
Reply 31
On a positive note, there may be fewer people with full marks for academics as there used to be 2 chances - GCSE and AS, but now very few students will offer 3 AS levels, so unless more students with 9 A*s are attracted by the reduction of reliance on the PS, the threshold might go down. It is frustrating that it is such a lottery if you don't have full marks for academics and have not yet done BMAT.
Reply 32
Original post by TCL

Good luck!

So I emailed them but they don’t hold any info on the previous bands for bmat :frown:
Original post by drjay24
So I emailed them but they don’t hold any info on the previous bands for bmat :frown:

They do hold the actual scores, but will not give anything out unless forced. For example:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/488746/response/1172821/attach/3/SSOM%20CP318060510390.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

This is for those that got an offer. In case it’s not obvious, BMAT is out of 9. A lot of people got in with a BMAT less than 4.0 it seems.
Reply 34
Original post by Bobbyfloater
They do hold the actual scores, but will not give anything out unless forced. For example:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/488746/response/1172821/attach/3/SSOM%20CP318060510390.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

This is for those that got an offer. In case it’s not obvious, BMAT is out of 9. A lot of people got in with a BMAT less than 4.0 it seems.

Yes, if you score 35 for academics, your BMAT score is fairly irrelevant. What they should be willing to publish is where the band boundaries were for each year. For people who have dropped a few marks on academics it would really help them to decide how good their chances are at Leeds.

I am going to do an FOI request when this is all over for the benefit of future applicants, but it is too late for this year.
Reply 35
I already have a score of 35 for academics. I'm taking BMAT on 31st Oct. & don't have time to prepare well for BMAT. What are my chances of getting an interview here?

Is there another thread for Leeds 2019 entry?
Reply 36
Original post by pizza26
I already have a score of 35 for academics. I'm taking BMAT on 31st Oct. & don't have time to prepare well for BMAT. What are my chances of getting an interview here?

Is there another thread for Leeds 2019 entry?

Excellent! You get at least 1 for BMAT if you are the lowest who applies. It would be very surprising if 36 was not enough for an interview, and you would obviously hope for more. Once they have the interview list, they will not use the score again, but the essay will be used in the interview.
https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/5580/medicine-and-surgery-mbchb
Couldn't find one for this year, so I guess this is it.

What's everyone's application like so far?

Leeds scoring system

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by TCL
Excellent! You get at least 1 for BMAT if you are the lowest who applies. It would be very surprising if 36 was not enough for an interview, and you would obviously hope for more. Once they have the interview list, they will not use the score again, but the essay will be used in the interview.

Thnx for ur reply. Does it say anywhere on their website that the essay will be used in the interview...cud u share the link pls ?
Reply 39
Original post by pizza26
Thnx for ur reply. Does it say anywhere on their website that the essay will be used in the interview...cud u share the link pls ?

See posts 631 and 656 in this thread. I can't remember where I saw it on website. Maybe @Bobbyfloater can tell you.

Latest

Trending

Trending