The Student Room Group

Anybody studying Engineering and Japanese Joint Honours Degree?

I'm interested in studying Mechanical engineering with a modern foreign language in university. I don't study any languages at A-levels, my subjects are all mathematical, although I have history with French only, as I did it for GCSE. Nevertheless, I'm interested in three other languages: Russian, German and Japanese. I'm interested in Russian for the same reason as French, I love their culture, their history and their literature, whereas for German and Japanese I know it would be good for business to learn the languages. But ultimately, I would really like to learn a language (I don't mind which) alongside an engineering degree, I think I am capable of it and would enjoy it very much.

I don't really understand why British universities don't combine Engineering with languages as it's so useful in businesses. I know that St Andrews is the only uni that does Maths with Russian and though I love the subject, I'm not that keen on maths as a degree as I want to have a career in engineering after uni. University of Sheffield and University of Bath also allow you to take Mechanical Engineering with French or German. But they require you to have taken that language for GCSE. That's all I know of those languages.

I'd be very interested in anyone whose had experience with any of these 4 languages, while doing an engineering degree.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Psychedeliyaa
I'm interested in studying Mechanical engineering with a modern foreign language in university. I have history with French only, as I did it for GCSE, but I'm interested in three other languages, Russian, German and Japanese. I'm interested in Russian for the same reason as French, I love their culture, their history and their literature, whereas for German and Japanese I know it would be good for business to learn the languages. But ultimately, I would really like to learn a language (I don't mind which) alongside an engineering degree, I think I am capable of it and would enjoy it very much.

Do engineering with non-engineering subject joint honours degrees exist? I think there are engineering degrees that will let you take a couple of modules of a language, but I am not aware of an actual joint honours degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Do engineering with non-engineering subject joint honours degrees exist? I think there are engineering degrees that will let you take a couple of modules of a language, but I am not aware of an actual joint honours degree.

I think the University of Sheffield and University of Bath allow you to take Mechanical Engineering with French or German. But they require you to have taken that language for GCSE.
Seems quite Mickey Mouse
Reply 4
Original post by Student1191
Seems quite Mickey Mouse

Why do you think that?
Why do you think that?

Just learn the language in the side. The language would take up space for modules on the main focus subject which people doing single honours would have
I think the University of Sheffield and University of Bath allow you to take Mechanical Engineering with French or German. But they require you to have taken that language for GCSE.

Makes sense if the language is going to be an assessed component of the degree.

If you want to study a language alongside your degree, does it have to be an official component of the degree?

Seems quite Mickey Mouse

It's not.
Reply 7
Just learn the language in the side. The language would take up space for modules on the main focus subject which people doing single honours would have

That is a good point, but I think it would be nice to have a degree in a language too.

Quick Reply

Latest