The Student Room Group

Can someone give advice on Personal Statement without stealing it

I applying to Cambridge for HSPS with predicted grades of A*AA. Can someone with experience of successful PS writing please give me some advice. Help would be much appreciated!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
No you can't send it to anyone. If you want advice on it, I suggest to post it here
Reply 3
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
No you can't send it to anyone. If you want advice on it, I suggest to post it here

Is there a risk of people copying if I send it there? Would really like someone other than me to read it but worried about my hard work being magpied
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JCIM
I applying to Cambridge for HSPS with predicted grades of A*AA. Can someone with experience of successful PS writing please give me some advice. Help would be much appreciated!

Original post by JCIM
bump

Patience please...

Original post by y.u.mad.bro?

^this.

But start here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4237154
Reply 5
Original post by JCIM
Is there a risk of people copying if I send it there? Would really like someone other than me to read it but worried about my hard work being magpied

No it's a confidential TSR service run by a select group of experienced current/recent university students.
Hi I am also applying for hsps at cambridge. Have you started preparing for the admission test or the interview??
Reply 7
Original post by richardsmith
Hi I am also applying for hsps at cambridge. Have you started preparing for the admission test or the interview??

I haven't started preparing for either. But I will start preparing for Admissions test soon.
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
No it's a confidential TSR service run by a select group of experienced current/recent university students.

Thanks Doonesbury
Original post by JCIM
I haven't started preparing for either. But I will start preparing for Admissions test soon.

Same. Maybe we can share ideas? Are you applying for the IR/Politics or the Sociology or the Anthropology track? What is your PS going to be based on?
Reply 10
Original post by JCIM
Thanks Doonesbury

Note, you should write your PS for the benefit of your other course/university choices. Cambridge gets the additional PS from your SAQ.
Reply 11
Note, you should write your PS for the benefit of your other course/university choices. Cambridge gets the additional PS from your SAQ.

I have to write another PS for Cambridge?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by JCIM
I have to write another PS for Cambridge??

You don't have to, but unless you are applying for exactly the same course at your other universities it's usual to provide one. The SAQ has an (optional) section for it. It's shorter than the standard PS, 1200 characters.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Same. Maybe we can share ideas? Are you applying for the IR/Politics or the Sociology or the Anthropology track? What is your PS going to be based on?

Hey.

I am going for the IR+Politics track. My PS is based around the impact of globalisation on the study of IR and Politics (as well as Sociology) and why it makes the subject interesting and important to study.

What about you? What is your PS on?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
You don't have to, but unless you are applying for exactly the same course at your other universities it's usual to provide one. The SAQ has an (optional) section for it. It's shorter than the standard PS, 1200 characters.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

Thanks a lot. The SAQ is something I have not heard about. Strangely never heard about it at the open day. Will have to research this more.
Reply 15
Original post by JCIM
Thanks a lot. The SAQ is something I have not heard about. Strangely never heard about it at the open day. Will have to research this more.

All Cambridge applicants complete it. The info you need is on that page, and Cambridge send you the actual form once you have applied.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JCIM
Hey.

I am going for the IR+Politics track. My PS is based around the impact of globalisation on the study of IR and Politics (as well as Sociology) and why it makes the subject interesting and important to study.

What about you? What is your PS on?

Wow.. I wouldn’t say that it is exactly the same but mine also is for Politics + IR and based around that, plus immigration etc..
Reply 17
Wow.. I wouldn’t say that it is exactly the same but mine also is for Politics + IR and based around that, plus immigration etc..

:beard::hmmmm2: strange... Sounds like our PS' are similar. Hope they don't think we collaborated :bigsmile:
I doubt they would.. anyway we will have different super curriculars, read different books and have different backgrounds (I suppose). But this actually got me thinking that my PS will be viewed as average as I imagine many others are going to talk about globalization etc...
Reply 19
I doubt they would.. anyway we will have different super curriculars, read different books and have different backgrounds (I suppose). But this actually got me thinking that my PS will be viewed as average as I imagine many others are going to talk about globalization etc...

I guess so, it probably is a popular topic. Either that or we are just 2 great imaginative thinkers and Cambridge will decide to give us both offers. I hope so :rolleyes:.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending