The Student Room Group

Is History harder than Geography GCSE?

Poll

Which is Harder, History or Geography GCSE??

Just wanted to know people's opinions.

Scroll to see replies

Also wanted to know why you think so.
Bump?
Reply 3
For me personally, it was geography I found that there was more content to learn and it was harder to simplify compared to history. For the latter all you needed to know for the Edexcel papers was the consequences and the key dates of the events in order to do really well in History.
Original post by _AMN
For me personally, it was geography I found that there was more content to learn and it was harder to simplify compared to history. For the latter all you needed to know for the Edexcel papers was the consequences and the key dates of the events in order to do really well in History.

Ok, thanks. Did you do both history and geography? Also do you think it makes a difference if the teacher is good or bad?

I thought they both both had a lot of content, and do you have any tips on remembering the key dates etc?
Original post by _Mia101

I did both and they were both the same difficulty imo. I found both quite easy as it was just memorising content and regurgitating it back on the exam paper with a bit of description, explanation and comparison.
Reply 6
Hmm, I didn't take history in GCSE but I know my friends did. Content wise, I think there was much more to learn than geography. At the very end of GCSE, my friends managed to rack up to 5 books in history while for geography, we only had 3. The only thing I would say that makes both subjects equally hard is to remember the case studies. But for history, it's probably the dates that mess people up (and other things to remember too!). I know that in history the papers are more essay based than geography. Geography still does have 9 markers, but I think history has higher marked questions. My friends personally said that geography was much easier than history, but it may be just their preference.
Original post by MapleFu
Hmm, I didn't take history in GCSE but I know my friends did. Content wise, I think there was much more to learn than geography. At the very end of GCSE, my friends managed to rack up to 5 books in history while for geography, we only had 3. The only thing I would say that makes both subjects equally hard is to remember the case studies. But for history, it's probably the dates that mess people up (and other things to remember too!). I know that in history the papers are more essay based than geography. Geography still does have 9 markers, but I think history has higher marked questions. My friends personally said that geography was much easier than history, but it may be just their preference.

What would you say is the hardest part of geography?
Original post by _Mia101

Yes as history is essay based while geography is just endless short questions
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Yes as history is essay based while geography is just endless short questions

Ok. Did you do history and/or geography?
Reply 10
Original post by _Mia101
What would you say is the hardest part of geography?

Well, for me, I usually struggled with remembering case studies for some time, I would muddle some facts with other case studies. Then lose marks. Luckily none of that happened in the exam. The hardest part is probably trying to not 'waffle' on longer markers. Make sure your points are clear and has evidence (Statistics, facts etc) built up under your point. Then explain clearly how these points will affect whatever the question is asking you. I tend to waffle a lot, so this was probably my Achilles' heel.
Other than that, not all the content will appear in the 3 papers. I studied the heck out of earthquakes for my mocks only for nothing to turn up. You may need to predict what might come up in the exam. Your last minute revision may be what saves you, to be honest.
Original post by MapleFu
Well, for me, I usually struggled with remembering case studies for some time, I would muddle some facts with other case studies. Then lose marks. Luckily none of that happened in the exam. The hardest part is probably trying to not 'waffle' on longer markers. Make sure your points are clear and has evidence (Statistics, facts etc) built up under your point. Then explain clearly how these points will affect whatever the question is asking you. I tend to waffle a lot, so this was probably my Achilles' heel.
Other than that, not all the content will appear in the 3 papers. I studied the heck out of earthquakes for my mocks only for nothing to turn up. You may need to predict what might come up in the exam. Your last minute revision may be what saves you, to be honest.

Thank you so much:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by _Mia101
Thank you so much:smile:

Glad I could help and goodluck! :h:
Original post by _Mia101

I did the IGCSE History course although most of my school ends up doing Geography.
I am of the impression that geography is slightly easier than History, as History needs essay wrtiing, and some analytic and critical skills. However, it mainly depends on your objectives, unis and interests. My History batch was full of people who liked and enjoyed the subject, so not only did we have a good time, almost our entire group got an a*
In Geo'm graphy, most people werent as interested, and were doing it for the sake of it, and bcuz it was apparenlty easier. At the end of the day most of them didnt get great grades in Geography, and they didnt enjoy.

Simply put, do what you enjoy, and you'll do well. I'm a History buff so the choice was easy, but you really shouldnt choose on which is easier than the other. Each needs different skills and efforts :smile:
They're pretty equal xD History has a lot of content and dates to learn, but in Geography there are endless case studies!
Reply 15
Original post by _Mia101

On my last History test I got 96.875%, on my last Geography test I got 100%, so I'd say Geography is easier, because you if you just memorize the textbook your good, but History is also quite easy if you have a good memory for dates and think of different events and people as linking together rather as separate things.

Good question.
Original post by thebilalmoin
I did the IGCSE History course although most of my school ends up doing Geography.
I am of the impression that geography is slightly easier than History, as History needs essay wrtiing, and some analytic and critical skills. However, it mainly depends on your objectives, unis and interests. My History batch was full of people who liked and enjoyed the subject, so not only did we have a good time, almost our entire group got an a*
In Geo'm graphy, most people werent as interested, and were doing it for the sake of it, and bcuz it was apparenlty easier. At the end of the day most of them didnt get great grades in Geography, and they didnt enjoy.

Simply put, do what you enjoy, and you'll do well. I'm a History buff so the choice was easy, but you really shouldnt choose on which is easier than the other. Each needs different skills and efforts :smile:

At my school we do IGCSE for both. I don't have to pick either but I know I want to pick one of them. I like both of them but I can't do both because of my other options.

I originally picked history because I thought I'd like it more and I found it just as easy as geography. However in year 10 we have a new teacher at school for history and his teaching isn't really the best. The people doing history really like history and those who do geography really like geo (because it isn't compulsory to do either). But I was looking through the specs for them and I know that I could remember the dates and case studies for either. But the writing in history, realistically I don't know.

Question: would you say the writing in history is as much as in English?
Original post by _Mia101
Ok. Did you do history and/or geography?

Yes geography but I did history and geography untill y10 and knew a lot of people who took both
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Yes geography but I did history and geography untill y10 and knew a lot of people who took both

Oh ok
Original post by _Mia101

Question: would you say the writing in history is as much as in English?

Its comparable. In english FLE and World Lit, we had 3 courseworks each. Its only 1 main coursework essay in History tho.
Each paper has long question (4, 6 and 10 marks) but they arent as bad a people think

Quick Reply

Latest