The Student Room Group

Gap year ruining my mental health

When i got my a level results i didnt get into my firm but i did get into my insurance. However my parents and family didn't want me to go to a 'rubbish' university so they forced me to take a gap year and reapply for 2019 entry. I didn't want to take a gap year as i knew i would find it difficult to cope for so long without routine.

Ive been applying for jobs for over a month now. Ive sent out at least 100 applications and for some of them i did get interviews but then i didn't hear back from them. My family constantly tells me im wasting my life, even though im trying so hard to get a job. I dont have any experience which is probably why im struggling so much.I applied to volunteer at oxfam for some experience but they never got back to me. I also cant go travelling as i dont have any money.

Ive been trying to keep myself occupied by learning french, how to program and going for walks but i still rarely get out the house. Im starting to feel very 'depressed' and im struggling to get out of bed without any purpose in life. Its also getting very lonely being home alone for so long everyday and i dont have any friends i can meet up with. I feel like a burden on my parents as im almost 19 and cant help them financially.

This is only the first month of my gap year and im scared that things wont improve.

This was mostly just to vent but if anyone has any advice or ideas on what i can do i would appreciate it greatly !
Original post by Anonymous
When i got my a level results i didnt get into my firm but i did get into my insurance. However my parents and family didn't want me to go to a 'rubbish' university so they forced me to take a gap year and reapply for 2019 entry. I didn't want to take a gap year as i knew i would find it difficult to cope for so long without routine.

Ive been applying for jobs for over a month now. Ive sent out at least 100 applications and for some of them i did get interviews but then i didn't hear back from them. My family constantly tells me im wasting my life, even though im trying so hard to get a job. I dont have any experience which is probably why im struggling so much.I applied to volunteer at oxfam for some experience but they never got back to me. I also cant go travelling as i dont have any money.

Ive been trying to keep myself occupied by learning french, how to program and going for walks but i still rarely get out the house. Im starting to feel very 'depressed' and im struggling to get out of bed without any purpose in life. Its also getting very lonely being home alone for so long everyday and i dont have any friends i can meet up with. I feel like a burden on my parents as im almost 19 and cant help them financially.

This is only the first month of my gap year and im scared that things wont improve.

This was mostly just to vent but if anyone has any advice or ideas on what i can do i would appreciate it greatly !

What was your insurance. What was your firm.
What were your alevel grades
Are you resiting anything
Are you applying next year

Have you tried volunteering at decent places (not your typical shop) to gain the much needed experience
Try vinspired or do-it.org to find volunteering opportunities.

Have you checked your cv. Maybe it is lacking in something which is why it is not working.

Also a year will go by in a flash. I can barely believe that it is next year and that it is not last year still

Make a list of things you wish to achieve as that will help with your mindset
Also you sound a little ill, have you tried making an appointment with your GP
Reply 2
Original post by Inspiringvisons
What was your insurance. What was your firm.
What were your alevel grades
Are you resiting anything
Are you applying next year

Have you tried volunteering at decent places (not your typical shop) to gain the much needed experience
Try vinspired or do-it.org to find volunteering opportunities.

Have you checked your cv. Maybe it is lacking in something which is why it is not working.

Also a year will go by in a flash. I can barely believe that it is next year and that it is not last year still

Make a list of things you wish to achieve as that will help with your mindset
Also you sound a little ill, have you tried making an appointment with your GP

Firm was southhampton , insurance was liverpool.
I got 3 A's . I have no plans to resit anything this year. Yes i will apply for next year.

This morning i applied to volunteer at my local library i'll see how that goes if they get back to me.

On my cv i just wrote about what skills being a prefect and mentoring gave me. I dont know what else to include i havent done anything else . And i dont really have any relevent hobbies to include.

Booking a gp appointment seems daunting and i wouldnt know how to go about it, i'll probably be fine anyway.

Thank you for your advice. I really do hope this year goes quickly i can't wait to start uni , never thought i would miss being in education so much :frown: .

This morning i applied to volunteer at my local library i'll see how that goes if they get back to me.

Places don't get back to you. If they do it's usually an automated email.

I know it's difficult because a lot of people who applied for jobs in the past used to get letters or calls, but it's rare to hear back from somewhere. If someone has anxiety they could take it very 'personally' and be overanalysing this. I've done this myself!

Reapply for the oxfam job. You have a good chance of getting it. Ring up after you've applied.

If you don't get the library volunteer, reapply for that or ring/email them.

What you have to also bear in mind is the set up of these places. I've now seen the set up of a place that recruits volunteers - call divert between different volunteers' phones, emails that go unanswered for days or weeks, sometimes stuff gets missed. It's very poor and should be better, but sometimes you have to patiently make contact.
Definitely push to do some volunteering, other places include primary schools, old people or disability care homes. Also definitely check vinspired and do it... I used to get loads of volunteer stuff there, some are only short one off projects but the more you do the more opportunities you get. When I was your age there were also awards for X hours which might help applications.

Maybe train for sports? You could try and do a marathon or triathlon or something?

And have patience with yourself, a job will come :smile:
Firm was southhampton , insurance was liverpool.
I got 3 A's . I have no plans to resit anything this year. Yes i will apply for next year.

On my cv i just wrote about what skills being a prefect and mentoring gave me. I dont know what else to include i havent done anything else . And i dont really have any relevent hobbies to include.

Booking a gp appointment seems daunting and i wouldnt know how to go about it, i'll probably be fine anyway.

Thank you for your advice. I really do hope this year goes quickly i can't wait to start uni , never thought i would miss being in education so much :frown: .

It will, a year is shorter than you think. If you find it contact a gp then ask one of your parents to arrange an appointment for you
Im on a gap year too and it does get boring at times but just try to have fun and if u can, apply to McDonald's because it's not even a bad job. Then make your way up like I did. Trust me you can work there for 5 months then apply for retail because you will have experience working under pressure and provide good customer service and work there for 5 months and you should have accrued some cash. Then boom go to uni rich.

I haven't got a job yet because I'll apply in October or maybe november tbh Im just chilling whilst i can
Reply 7
Maybe you can research on the course you want to do or your future career and try to get relevant work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest