The Student Room Group

Oxford Uni Modern Languages Applicants 2019 entry

A few questions:

1. GCSE results?
2. Predicted grades?
3. Which A-levels are you doing?
4. Which language(s) are you applying for?
5. Which part of the application process are you most worried about?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doing French, Spanis, Eng lit and an EPQ - applying for Spanish and ab initio Russian at New :smile: 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and 4A*s predicted, probably most worried about not getting an interview! What about everyone else?
Reply 2
Original post by Jaryoung
Doing French, Spanis, Eng lit and an EPQ - applying for Spanish and ab initio Russian at New :smile: 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and 4A*s predicted, probably most worried about not getting an interview! What about everyone else?

Hi @Jaryoung !

Here is some info about me...

1. GCSEs: 11 A*s and an A
2. Predicted grades: 4 A*s
3. A Levels: Spanish, Maths, Economics and an EPQ
4. Course: Spanish and ab initio Italian
5. Part of process: Most worried about interviews...
Original post by ggb747
A few questions:

1. GCSE results?
2. Predicted grades?

Hi @ggb747 ,

Glad someone made this thread!

1) 9 A*s and an A at GCSE.
2) 4 A*s predicted.
3) Spanish, English Literature, Drama and Theatre Studies, and an EPQ.
4) English and Spanish.
5) The MLAT currently.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ggb747
A few questions:

1. GCSE results?
2. Predicted grades?

Hi there!

1. 13 A*s and an A in FSMQ Add Maths
2. 4 A*s
3. Maths, History, French and Latin. Attempting AS German this year...
4. French and "ab initio" German
5. Interviews probably!
Hi there
GCSE'S - 14A* 2A's
Predicted grades: 4 A*
Doing German, Spanish, French , English and History
Course: French and "ab initio" German
Im so nervous about the interviews, as i really won't enjoy the grilling about what I want to do in the future.
What kind of stuff has everyone been doing in preparation?
Original post by MontyZuma
Hi there!

1. 13 A*s and an A in FSMQ Add Maths
2. 4 A*s
3. Maths, History, French and Latin. Attempting AS German this year...
4. French and "ab initio" German
5. Interviews probably!

Hi I’m applying for the same course!
1. 8A*s 2As at GCSE
2. 4 A*s
3. French, English lit, history, EPQ
4. French and German from scratch
5. Not getting an interview!!

Are ppl on here from state or public schools?
Original post by torchwood277
What kind of stuff has everyone been doing in preparation?

Done a couple of the admissions tests which are available online, plan on revising the content mentioned in my personal statement tbh
hey guys! this is so inspiring and sorry if i seem like i'm intruding (oops) as i'm only in year 12 & not applying atm.
i love languages myself & was wondering what sort of career prospects you are thinking of with a languages degree?

good luck to all of you!
Original post by stardustxx
hey guys! this is so inspiring and sorry if i seem like i'm intruding (oops) as i'm only in year 12 & not applying atm.
i love languages myself & was wondering what sort of career prospects you are thinking of with a languages degree?

good luck to all of you!

This might seem not particularly enticing but for me personally I want to be a Languages teacher...

Otherwise I think there are loads of things you can do with it. Obviously interpreting and translating (I think especially at the UN this can pay very well), as well as journalism (e.g. in other countries) or working for any multinational firm. I’ve recently heard of someone employed by a law firm that pays its employees X% (I can’t remember exactly how much) more for every extra language they know.

If you really like languages than you should definitely go with them for university. You can use those employment things to convince your parents etc that you should do Languages at university but it is best that you do the degree that interests you the lost - especially for Oxbridge as otherwise they will see through you at interview I think! Lots of people say that (opposed to science / Maths) any sort of humanities degree is a waste of time in terms of employment etc. We can debate whether that’s true or not (it isn’t) but at least with languages you are coming out with really useful skills as well as being able to study all the literature, history etc (as opposed to just studying English Lit or History by itself for example).
Original post by bekahgood13
Done a couple of the admissions tests which are available online, plan on revising the content mentioned in my personal statement tbh

Yeah same sort of stuff for me as well.
Original post by MontyZuma
This might seem not particularly enticing but for me personally I want to be a Languages teacher...

Otherwise I think there are loads of things you can do with it. Obviously interpreting and translating (I think especially at the UN this can pay very well), as well as journalism (e.g. in other countries) or working for any multinational firm. I’ve recently heard of someone employed by a law firm that pays its employees X% (I can’t remember exactly how much) more for every extra language they know.

If you really like languages than you should definitely go with them for university. You can use those employment things to convince your parents etc that you should do Languages at university but it is best that you do the degree that interests you the lost - especially for Oxbridge as otherwise they will see through you at interview I think! Lots of people say that (opposed to science / Maths) any sort of humanities degree is a waste of time in terms of employment etc. We can debate whether that’s true or not (it isn’t) but at least with languages you are coming out with really useful skills as well as being able to study all the literature, history etc (as opposed to just studying English Lit or History by itself for example).

Thank you! You've given me a lot of hope, haha. And I completely agree with you; a humanities degree can go a long away, too. Especially Languages in today's society/world.
Reply 13
Hi!!

GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As and a C
Predicted: A*AA
A-Levels: Maths, French and English with an EPQ
I’m applying for English Literature and French
And I’m not really sure what I am worried for, maybe the admissions tests?? Just because of how integral they are but I really don’t know the whole process is quite daunting hahahaha

And ya I go to a public school
Hello!
GCSEs: 9 a*s 2a’s and a C
Predicted: A*A*A*
A levels: english, history and French
I’m applying for French and ab initio Italian
I’m worried for mostly the interviews, mainly because I still don’t really know what it’s gonna be like....
Anyone applied to Worcester College??? I’ve heard it’s popular for language applicants
Reply 15
Original post by Janeb120
Hello!
GCSEs: 9 a*s 2a’s and a C
Predicted: A*A*A*
A levels: english, history and French
I’m applying for French and ab initio Italian
I’m worried for mostly the interviews, mainly because I still don’t really know what it’s gonna be like....
Anyone applied to Worcester College??? I’ve heard it’s popular for language applicants

I am!!
Original post by toniq
I am!!

Yay!! I'm guessing quite a few people have applied to Worcester since its next to the languages faculty haha
Anyone applying to do French revised the imperfect subjunctive for the MLAT?
Reply 18
Original post by Janeb120
Anyone applying to do French revised the imperfect subjunctive for the MLAT?

I know it vaguely, I don’t know whether to go over it as I don’t think I’ve seen it any of the past papers???
Original post by toniq
I know it vaguely, I don’t know whether to go over it as I don’t think I’ve seen it any of the past papers???

I just did a paper and there was a question that seemed like it was hinting at an imperfect or past subjunctive which really threw me off
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending