The Student Room Group

English:)

How can we make our writing looking good to examiner. My teacher said you need to read classics...you need ti improve your writing skills + punchuation. what should i do, she says you need to memeorze good phrases
I'm sorry to your English teacher because they are obviously qualified to teach and I'm not trying to go above them but that's really not true! Classics are great but if you don't enjoy them, you aren't going to learn from them. Do read though, anything and everything that you enjoy. That will help you improve your writing just as much as reading any classics will.
Your teacher's advice is very vague, you should watch Mr Bruff's Youtube videos on writing, he breaks down the components needed to improve your writing in much more detail.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by aminazz
How can we make our writing looking good to examiner. My teacher said you need to read classics...you need ti improve your writing skills + punchuation. what should i do, she says you need to memeorze good phrases

well you should remind her that she was supposed to teach you.
First of all make sure you spell everything correctly! A spelling mistake can ruin a decent sentence and will make the examiner think you're not very bright. Second, with punctuation, review the use of comma and semicolon. They both break up a sentence into two phrases, but with the semicolon (:wink: both of the phrases must be sentences that make sense by themselves. You already know full stops. Boom, punctuation done. Third, vary your sentence and paragraph length. Have a long sentence, then a short one, then a medium one, and so on. Same with paragraphs. Lastly, don't forget that with most essays you're writing seriously, so don't use slang or make jokes, and try and sound like you know what you're talking about even if you have no idea.
Reply 5
Absolute top-notch bullsh*t! What is this tomfoolery? Reading classics? My ass.

Spelling, punctuation and grammar only account for 20% of total mark in English language, and a meagre 5% of the total mark in English literature.

I did not memorise any good phrases; I did memorise useful quotes.

What in English at GCSE are you referring to exactly?
(edited 5 years ago)
reading classics will not really help you for gcse english if you don't understand them or take them in. read texts that you'd enjoy and see how the writer makes you enjoy said text. memorising a few phrases can be good for writing, particularly if they're impressive ones. you want to improve your spag, you get into the habit of checking your work at the end and not full-on rushing your writing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending