The Student Room Group

2020 GCSE discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EO4LIF3
Hey Guys! So I’m starting GCSEs and I’m ngl I’m pretty stressed because there are so many forms of revision to do and I don’t know how long to spend on each of them. I’m taking 3 Humanities (GEO,HIST,RS) and I’m lost because everybody in my class has all these fancy forms of revision and then there is me just using my class notes to make revision notes smh
Anyway I am looking forward to this thread and I hope we will all continue to help each other in this thread
By the way. Some people (like me) have started covering GCSE topics in Year 9 in school. Does anybody’s school do this?
Thank you

Hi,
My school does exactly the same (almost), we started GCSE science in year 9 along with history and geography in the last term. If you find a form of revision which gave you a good set of results and worked well for you in previous exams, then you should use this to revise. As you are taking three humanities one of the best ways to revise is by using exam papers, answering questions, looking at mark schemes and notes from examiners. I myself am going into year 10 but previous year 11 students who got straight 9's said this was very useful as well as learning content.
I hope this helped, good luck!!
Hi im currently a year 10 and i will also be doing my gcse's in 2020. My options are triple science, english literature, english language, maths , business, sociology, history and japanese. i began my gcse subjects from year 9 and started making revision notes. flashcard mind maps and posters are helpful especially with a wide range of colours. for online help id suggest https://corbettmaths.com https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/ https://getrevising.co.uk/ . its also helpful to go online to the exam board you are uusing and look at the specification so you now what topics are needed
Hi I’m also in year 9 and I picked History,French,DT and Food Tech but I think I’m going to change food tech for Business studies I don’t want to get any lower than 6 for all my subjects but if I get a 5 I wouldn’t mind that much because it’s still a pass but I would still care
Original post by Coolgirl10
Hi I’m also in year 9 and I picked History,French,DT and Food Tech but I think I’m going to change food tech for Business studies I don’t want to get any lower than 6 for all my subjects but if I get a 5 I wouldn’t mind that much because it’s still a pass but I would still care

Aim higher, like a 7. Don't aim that low trust me.
Original post by Leahjade1st
Hi im currently a year 10 and i will also be doing my gcse's in 2020. My options are triple science, english literature, english language, maths , business, sociology, history and japanese. i began my gcse subjects from year 9 and started making revision notes. flashcard mind maps and posters are helpful especially with a wide range of colours. for online help id suggest https://corbettmaths.com https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/ https://getrevising.co.uk/ . its also helpful to go online to the exam board you are uusing and look at the specification so you now what topics are needed

Tysm!!the maths websites seem really helpful as I'm struggling with maths
thank youuuuuuuuuuu im in yr 10 so ill take ur advice thx so much
Hi guys :tongue:

I'm in year 10 - doing English lit/lang, maths, further maths, biology, chemistry, physics, French, computer science and DT
My advice is probably not going to be much use, and counter intuitive, but it worked for me. There may be someone else who is similar.

I came out with 4A*'s, 3 8's and 3 A's. I'd be lying to you if I said that I worked even a bit hard for the majority of them, with the three exceptions being Computer Science, Maths and History.

I was frequently kicked out of class as I found it to be easy and boring, therefore resulting in me messing about. Pre-GCSE, this was even worse with subjects like Art etc, but I'll keep it to GCSE alone. I'm not going to go into details, but take my word for it when I say I was always sent out of pretty much every class on a very regular basis. English, Geography, Media... you name it, I was sent out of it a good 50% of the time. I was the only one in my entire class to do a solo Media coursework project whilst everyone else worked in groups, as I was deemed 'incapable'.

I did zero (and I mean literally zero, besides 1h a week Maths practice and what I did anyway in Computer Science as part of my passion) revision until May hit, when I realised that it was actually GCSE time. At this point, I very slowly ramped up my revision to doing a daily 6 hour cramming session once the exams hit. I'd be learning entire specifications in a single night in prep for the exam the next morning. I wouldn't recommend this, but it worked for me.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is even remotely similar to myself, because afaik something like this is unheard of.
(edited 5 years ago)
You must be in year 10 now? If so how are you going to study because at the moment i am trying to get myself into some reading books and doing topics on subjects we have not yet covered which is in my
Hiya,

Just finished my GCSE’s and I like to think I done ok. I got 2 9’s 5 8’s and 3 B’s. I want to let you know that practice questions will bridge the gap between 5’s&6’s to 7,8 and 9’s (especially for maths).
Original post by astrid2018
Tysm!!the maths websites seem really helpful as I'm struggling with maths

With maths try to answer as many exam questions as possible. To be honest with maths there is only one correct answer that you can have which makes it quite difficult as there’s many ways of getting to that one answer in comparison to subjects such as English where there is no right or wrong answer as long as it’s supported with evidence. I wasn’t very strong at Maths either, it was probably my weakest subject of them all. Also, if your school has given you Mathswatch logins use that as it it shows you videos of how to work things out but then also has a set of exam style questions. If you haven’t heard of it, try asking your maths teacher maybe they’ll do something.

Hope that helps :-)
Good luck with your GCSE preparations!!!!
I just joined year 10 and I'm doing Btec Sport , ICT

, Business, History And have to do maths, English, Science with 3 teachers for each type (biology, Physics and Chemistry. Currently my favorite's are Business, Btec sport, History, Business, English And Physics /Chemistry/Biology.
Does anyone know how to answer this question?
Original post by SnowyOwl2505
With maths try to answer as many exam questions as possible. To be honest with maths there is only one correct answer that you can have which makes it quite difficult as there’s many ways of getting to that one answer in comparison to subjects such as English where there is no right or wrong answer as long as it’s supported with evidence. I wasn’t very strong at Maths either, it was probably my weakest subject of them all. Also, if your school has given you Mathswatch logins use that as it it shows you videos of how to work things out but then also has a set of exam style questions. If you haven’t heard of it, try asking your maths teacher maybe they’ll do something.

Good luck with your GCSE preparations!!!!

They haven’t given us logins. I don’t think my school uses it. Do u know if I can still use it?
They haven’t given us logins. I don’t think my school uses it. Do u know if I can still use it?

If you’ve been given access to Mathswatch previously your old username and password should work. If you have never used Mathswatch before I would recommend you speaking to someone who will be able to provide you with login details. You’ll be able to use it once your school makes your logins.

Hello all, I'm Cassian, the name popularised by the film star wars(which is one of my faves btw) but i am also doing my GCSE's in 2020 and i'm already starting to crack under the pressure!! It is most probably just the stress my parents and u put myself through to achieve during school. I go to a privet school in surrey and i just feel like, already, that i would fail my GCSE's. I am going to take: maths further maths, English lit and lang, french, trip science, geography and history. my faves are physics, maths, English and biology. I do not know how to manage my time with video games therefore i will create a timetable and keep a diary.
Hello,
I'm Cassian,the name popularised by the film star wars(which is one of my faves btw) but i am also doing my GCSE's in 2020 and i'm already starting to crack under the pressure!! It is most probably just the stress my parents and u put myself through to achieve during school. I go to a privet school in surrey and i just feel like, already, that i would fail my GCSE's. I am going to take: maths+further maths, English lit and lang, french, trip science, geography and history. my faves are physics, maths, English and biology. I do not know how to manage my time with video games therefore i will create a timetable and keep a diary.
Reply 57
I’m not really clever but I want to do well in my gcse so I thought I could start revising
If you think are or you think you aren’t. You are right.
Because you revised one month before, did you get good gcse??
Reply 59
Hi Everyone
I am currently in Year9 and I will be doing my GCSEs in 2020. I thought that I could create a chat on which we can discuss what we are working on at school and what we would like to get in our GSCEs. I know that they are a long way away but I guess we could help each other if we are struggling to learn anything. I have just finished my end of year exams and I hope to get my results soon. Post what you would like to achieve and what you think you will achieve. It will be interesting to look back at this in a few years time!!h

Thanks!!

hey im taking my gcses aswell in 2020 i currently take btec art and graphic design and gcse sociology and history and english maths science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending